Tuesday, March 4, 2014

My Week

Well they say that March comes in like a lion and out like a lamb.  We'll see!  This winter has made me skeptical.  The wind and storms have totally taken down that squirrel nest built in the top of my tree.  There are little twigs all over my lawn.

Wednesday I volunteered at the Old State Capitol during their staff meeting.  We had 2 bus tours scheduled which were staggered but they both arrived at the same time.  I took one on tour and Francine took the other.  One of my students had pointed out a dead bird in the corner of the Governor's Reception Room which I reported to the staff.  During a chit chat between tours we got on the subject of furniture and particle board.  We talked about my dresser and how olive oil would work to make the runners slide better.  So Thursday I fixed my dresser.  Apparently my sliding problem was more than just dry wood.  I found the hardware had many missing screws.
Thursday I went to see a first person presentation of Mary Lincoln and Billy Herndon at Edwards Place.  The man who presented Herndon was new to me (although he looked familiar) and he was from out of town.  He left this card.

Friday I went to the Desert Storm Remembrance at 11 and the Veteran of the Month at 2PM.  Congratulations to Archie Ford as Illinois Veteran of the Month February 2014.


Got a new head dress for reenacting.  This picture does not do it justice.

Saturday, instead of visiting my sister, I went to a "Downton Abby" tea at Edwards Place.  Apparently they couldn't call this a Downton Abby tea due to copy right.  I didn't make reservations like I should but when I went to an event there on Thursday, I told Erica I'd like to come since I canceled my plans and she said sure and that she's squeeze me in.  We had little sandwiches of salmon, cheese, egg salad and cream cheese.  We got to try scones and  some other petite deserts.  The Tea Ladies did a presentation on the customs.
The cap, lace sleeves would have been a little cold so I found a shear blouse to put under it.  This was good because you can still see the vintage lace sleeves.

 Here I am with a timer-selfie in the parlor
Not every one came dressed for the period but these ladies went all out. There was a lady at my table that wore the same pearl drop earrings as I had on.  They were a fun group and I read one of the lines as part of the audience participation.

I took this picture of the deer with head lights and roses in Springfield's South Side and it was featured on "Springfaild"

Sunday I walked to church in like 19 degrees.  I was all bundled up in snow pants and gear.  It wasn't bad going but coming home I was walking into the wind and it was a lot more bitter.  A family picked me up before I got too far.  See what cabin fever will do to you? 
Monday evening I went to our American Legion meeting.  I hadn't driven since Saturday so my car was crusted over for that short trip.  Now I await here on Tuesday all day for a service man to come fix my washer.


No comments:

Blog Archive