Monday, March 24, 2014

My Week

I have a lot of things ready to send to my soldier this week.  Last Thursday, I got a box returned from one of our lady soldiers.

I'm getting excited about Spring.  I turned off the heat and it was 55 degrees when I got out of my electric blanket one morning.  I put air in my bicycle tires on my way to voting in the primary on Tuesday.
I finished work on a carpet bag that used to be a purse.  I had to change the handle and put wood dowels sewn into the fabric.  The opening isn't real wide but its still nice to hide non-appropriate things at a reenactment.

Wednesday evening I substituted my daily exercise with line dance lessons.  As cold as the night was, I worked up a good sweat and had fun doing it.
We learned "Hello Good Morning" and "Waltz Line dance"




Beautiful easy waltz.



Walked the dogs.  Well that was a successful walk (according to Marley)

Ok, I got the seat off the little motorcycle and hooked up a regular battery charger rather than the trickle it's been on for 2 weeks.  I checked and the needle on the charger didn't move.  I plugged it into a different outlet and the needle moved.   Wheezer started but thanks to the outlet by my faucet not in the garage.  Wheezer started when I got back from the ABATE meeting.  On top of everything needing repairs, I think I'll need an electrician.

Lately I noticed that my right hand was stained with pink.  I couldn't think of what might have done this.  Friday, while walking the dogs, I noticed it again.  I had just gotten out of the shower too.  Then it occurred to me....the new purple hair brush.

I've been needing new flooring pretty bad because Laminate is separating. Ideally, I'd like to have tile as the other half of the house has and that could go well over $7K. I do have other home repairs like water heater, closet door replacement, and an attic ladder that will cut into my home repair budget. My other option is carpet which I picked out at Lowes and has a 10% off special, but they will not place the remnant of 12 tiles by the fireplace because the tiles were not purchased there. Deal breaker!


Friday was nice so I turned my veg garden over and left a few young dandelions impaled in the sun on tomato cages. LOL

Finally got my little 250cc Yamaha started and rode about 8 miles around the neighborhood. It's real finicky and I should have left 'him' on a trickle charge all winter. Had him on the trickle for over a week and nothing happened. Then a full charger (yeah you know how I hate removing the seat) and still nothing. Then I tried a different outlet and WHALLA! I need an electrician too apparently to fix the outlet in the garage.

Saturday was very busy.  First, I went off to a volunteer training meeting at the Elijah Iles House from 9:00 - 12:00.  Then after that, ABATE meeting for those that want to do a Safety and Education lesson on motorcycle safety for high school drivers education students.  The ABATE volunteer orientation ended early enough to attend the funeral for Major Ried Nannen at Camp Butler with the Patriot Guard Riders.

Saturday night I went to a History Trivia Night to help support the Lincoln Troubadours, a group of high school and college students who perform Civil War-era songs at historic sites during the summer for tourists.  I decorated our table with a table cloth and candelabra as I've seen at other trivia events but we were the only table with such spirit.  I didn't realize until after this photo how nice our team looked with Lincoln in the background.  I believe our team came in 4th place.

Here are the questions (in part since they were on slides in image and sound)
Round 1 ~ Thinkin' Lincoln
1) What was the last year for the Lincoln Wheat Penny? 1958
2) What was Lincoln's middle name?  None
3) Who was Lincoln's vice president for his first term? Hannibal Hamlin
4) What was the pen name that Lincoln used?  Aunt Rebecca
5) Robert Lincoln attended which prestigious college?  Harvard
6) Where did the Lincoln's stay on their wedding night?  Globe Tavern
 7) What did Lincoln get a patent for? expansible buoyant chambers
8) The day after Lincoln was shot, how many days did Booth evade?  12
9)  What was Lincoln's dog's name?  Fido
10) How many years is 4 score and 7 years? 87
Round 2 ~ Lincoln Land Logos
1) Hanning Electric
2) Boys and Girls Club
3) Armbrusters
4) Downtown Springfield Inc
5) St Johns Hospital
6) NAACP
7)
8)
9) Springfield Ballet
10) Contact Ministries
Round 3 ~ Patriotic Songs
1) Washington Post
2) Army
3) El Capiton
4) Liberty Bell March
5) Call to the Colors
6) Semper Fidelis
7) Stars and Stripes forever
8) To the Colors
9) Fanfare for the Common Man
10) 1812 Overture

Round 4) Illinois State Fair
1) Where was the location of the first state fair?  Sacred Heart Griffen
2) When was the main gate built? 1910
3) Why was the fair canceled in 1893? Columbian exbodition
4) what caused this building fire in 1917? unsupported dome
5) When was the slide at the fair introduced? 1868
6)  What is the name of the 30 ft Lincoln statue? Rail Splitter
7) Who is the Orr building named for? Chicago journalist
8) What was the cost of admission when the fair opened in 1853? 25cents
9) Which celebrity never performed at the state fair? (multiple choice included Bob Hope) Marilyn Monroe
10) When did the Springfield Mile begin? 1910
Round
1) Which president had a 7 seat hot tub on the White House lawn?  Clinton
2) Which president did not live in the white house? Washington
3) Who was president during the 1976 bicentennial?  Ford
4) Which president is on the $2 bill? Jefferson
5) In Disney's hall of presidents, which president talks?  Lincoln
6) What is the most common first name of our presidents? James
7) Which president was the first to fly in an airplane? Rosevelt
8) Which president was a bachelor? Buchanan
9) Which 2 presidents are buried in Arlington NC? Kennedy and Taft
10) Which president was ambidextrous? Garfield
Round
1) What was the 16th state of the Union? TN
2) What is the atomic #16 element? Sulfer
3) Bosses day is the 16th of which month?  October
4) What game has 16 pieces per side? Chess
5) What is the smallest square number that equals 16? -4
6) USS Ticonderoga mission in 1972?  Apollo 16
7) Who was the 15th president? Buccannan
8) What is 16 in Roman Numerals? XVI
9) Who originally recorded 16 candles?  The Crest
10) Where was the superbowl played with San Fransisco 49s v New Orleans?  Pontiac Superdome
Round topic "In Lincoln's Kitchen"
1) Lincoln would snack on this out on the lawn?  corn dodger
2) What was this called that Mary used to cook on?  Spider frying pan
3) What was Willy's favorite?  White Fricassee Chicken
4) What kind of tea came from J. Bunn Company? Gun powder tea
5) What was a common thickener that Mary used? Coopelsing lass
6) BBQ...how served?  by hand on bread
7) what did they call stew?  Burgo
8) what did they call relish? Piccalilli
9) What was Lincoln's favorite food?  fried oysters
10) Chafing dish? cooked oysters
Round ~ Illinois Trivia
1) Where did Route 66 end?  Santa Monica
2) Where were IL previous 2 capitols located?  Kaskaskia and Vandalia
3) What is the IL state snack?  popcorn
4) Homany counties does IL have? 102
5) What is the IL state fish? Blue Gill
6) What city has the largest Lincoln statue? Ashmore
7) What is the IL state dance?  Square dance
8) Ray Crock opened the first MacDonald s in 1955 where?  Oak Park
9) How many electoral votes does IL have? 20 10) Dick Van Dyke started where? Danville
Round 9 ~ Something about Mary (audio ID)
1) "Mary in the morning" = Glen Campbell
2) "Along Comes Mary" = The Association
3) "Bloody Mary Morning" = Willy Nelson
4) harmonica: Mary this way = Bruce Springstien
5) "Mary makin way into the night" Kenny Chesney
6) "Mother Mary comes to me" = Beatles
7) "What will my Mary say?" = J Mathis
8) "Proud Mary" = CCR
9) "Mary Mary where ya goin'?" = The Monkees
10) "I look at you starts shine" = Taylor Swift

No comments:

Blog Archive