Monday, March 31, 2014

My Week


I attended the adoption of SJR3, "Welcome Home Vietnam Veterans Day" in Illinois, on March 25th with Representative Kifowit. I sat with fellow veterans in the Speaker’s Gallery to hear the resolution (Senate Joint Resolution 3) being adopted. 
http://www.ilga.gov/legislation/billstatus.asp?DocNum=3&GAID=12&GA=98&DocTypeID=SJR&LegID=69405&SessionID=85
I recall going up the elevator that one of the cleaning ladies told us that there were too many and the elevator may not move.  Later in the week some tourist were stuck and it made the news.
Dozens Trapped in State Capitol Elevator:
http://wics.com/news/top-stories/stories/vid_16367.shtml?app_data={#.Uzm_29aiGsw.email
Boy I forget how short I look to others.

I came home and had a nap.  Then I got my Welcome Home Banner that I use for the Honor Flight and off to a meeting of the 114th Illinois Infantry's presentation about the Soldiers Aid Society.  When that was over I went to the airport which was nearby and welcomed back a bunch of veterans returning from the Honor Flight.  The usual clips that fell from the ceiling holding my welcome home banner were gone.  The banner is not really tape friendly.  I got it up and ready well before time.  Then, just before the veterans came out, it fell.   I think that I can string it around the letter on the sign

Wednesday is senior discount day at both the Goodwill and Salvation Army.  I found a tin cup at Goodwill that was perfect for reenacting.  I've been looking for one.  Then I stopped at Aldi for needed dog food and I really needed some cash back because my wallet was empty.  Well I can't JUST get dog food.  I found Ruben bites in the freezer section.

In the evening I went to the meeting of the Interveterans of Sangamon County meeting.  I updated their website.
https://sites.google.com/site/sangamoncountyinterveterans/

Thursday morning I met with my tax preparer appointment at 10AM.  Yep, I've got to write a couple of checks to the Feds and state.  Then I went to my volunteer day at the Old State Capitol.  I was warned it was a slow morning but boy did the crowds come in the afternoon and I was there until 4PM.

Friday I went to a PGR mission to honor .  It was to be a long one in the cold.  I could only take about 40 minutes and I had to leave.  Came home and it was good because a got a call from Polly who thinks she can help me settle the differences I need to enroll my sons in the Sons of the American Revolution.
https://sites.google.com/site/connollypatriot/

To be added to my lenten scene is a resin figurine of the Last Supper.

Saturday I packed up my car with display items for the Civil War Fashion Fair.
The show was held on Sunday and was even nicer than the year before.  I just loved the displays and the promenade program.


 This was my personal display with black wreath, cap, reticule, mourning hanky and tear bottles.
This lady was telling me about the vintage and delicate mourning bonnet that she has.  Very interesting.


Saturday evening I went to the Lee-Jackson ball in Belleville.  It had been postponed from last January due to weather.  On the way down there, I stopped in at the VFW and met very briefly with my old friend, Fat Fred.  I stopped at Scott AFB and breifly stopped at the exchange.  I got some earnings since I have many missing pairs.  I like the ones that fully enclose so I don't loose them.  Also having something Victorian helps on a dual purpose. Needless to say, I felt tired during the Fashion Fair on Sunday afternoon.  I didn't get to bed till 12:30 and then was the first reader at Mass in the morning.

Funny part of the evening is that my wrist corsage came off during the dance and the Velcro got stuck on another dancer. At the next available pass, I plucked it off and threw it in the direction of my table.

Monday morning was nice so I took Marley for a walk to drop off my utility bill payment.  Good timing because the clouds came later and so did the wind.  You know, the kind of wind that blows the hulls off the emerging leaves on the trees. 


No comments:

Blog Archive