Monday, July 8, 2013

My Week

On the morning of the 4th of July, I walked the dogs past the recently abandoned rental house on the corner.  The house was trashed as I peeked in the window.  So I continued my walk and as I was walking I thought that the authorities needed to know.  I also knew that before I called, it would be important to know if the door was locked so I checked on my way back.  It was unlocked and very messy.  I called the police and wished them a Happy 4th of July.  I told them there was no number on the house and that there was also an abandoned Intrepid with expired plates parked on the street.  I explained it was non-emergency.  Then I went ahead and put the flags on my front lawn.  Meanwhile I asked the neighbor about a ride to work on Tuesday.  I mentioned that I reported the house and he said that they were paying rent but the owner was not paying Wells Fargo.  I guess it was a slow morning for the police because they showed up shortly afterward and I explained that I reported the problem and had since learned it's being repossessed.

I got the motorcycle out and put the big flags on the back and rode to Oak Ridge Cemetery for the 4th of July Mass.  I had brought my folding cane chair and lost all of the caps off the legs in the soft ground.  I couldn't even feel them with my finger.  Pat was able to pry 3 of the 4 rubber caps out of the dirt.  I had thought that they traveled to hell.  I said my chair needs new tires.

I came home and took a nap, watched some TV and then at 5PM I went to the Clara Irwin's Strawberry Party at the Iles House. On the way home I noticed that the bike night was still on at Quaker Steak and Lube despite it being the 4th of July so I stopped there for awhile for the entertainment.  Elvis was there and the ladies had some kind of hot dog contest.
I took Bentley in the car to Cherry Hills Baptist church parking lot for a great panorama of fireworks.

Saturday I went to the dedication ceremony for the New Berlin Veterans Memorial.  I wish I could post the PDF document of the program here.  Here is a link to the news article about the dedication:
http://www.sj-r.com/top-stories/x1806119458/Memorial-dedication-draws-hundreds-to-New-Berlin
I met our cousins the Kerby's who were there representing AmVets as state commander.


 Here is the unveiling of the obelisk at the center of the memorial.  We were told of the crane that had placed the 6 ton memorial. 
 And here is my brick, number 198.  Thanks to Dave McKnelly who nominated me for Veteran of the Month and Gene Walker for sponsoring this brick.
The names on the bricks were read.  It was a long list.  Frank Farley's name was called too. 
Later I got a call that Frank Farley from VFW had passed away.  He attended the memorial dedication in New Berlin in the morning and passed out on the way home. He will be missed. RIP.

I came home and did some mulching of the mounds of grass left by the riding mower with my Toro.  Then laid out my kiddie swimming pool.
In the evening, my son came to stay the night and spent time with his brother watching a game on the big screen at a local bar.  They did their laundry.  I made dinner.  After they left I made his bed and I was tipped a quarter that I found among the sheets.  It was hot so I bathed the dogs in the kiddie pool that I had gotten at Walmart for $6.  

I logged onto my mortgage and saw that it was paid in full. Whoo Hooo!  Now to move on to some home repairs.








No comments:

Blog Archive