Tuesday, July 16, 2013

My Week

My son had sent me this picture that leaves a hint about Marley's attitude because of the resemblance.  Not sure if you can see her under bite in the photo that some think is a pre-bite look.  Besides, Marley's tail is cropped.

  
Tuesday evening I attended the retreat ceremony at the Lincoln Tomb as usual only this time with a new outfit.  I hadn't worn this dress because of all the light colors and the rain that was so prevalent this spring. 

Wednesday morning  we had a heck of a rain storm that caused the water to rise in front of office.  It was more interesting to watch as cars dared or backed off of the flooded street.  Two cars were stalled.
http://www.wics.com/news/top-stories/stories/vid_11973.shtml
I was surprised that Michael had ridden his motorcycle that day with predicted rain but he was lucky before and after work was clear.

In the evening after work I attended the visitation for a fellow member of the VFW who passed away last Saturday.  We took turns doing 15 minute shifts with two honor guards at the casket.  I did this at 5:30.  I didn't stay too long because I had a meeting of AmVets at 6PM.

Thursday I took all my cable boxes and turned them in at Comcast during my lunch hour.  Now I have no TV just internet.  Saved myself $40 but the internet went up to $68 since I gave up the bundle.  Then come evening, I went to the Catholic War Veterans meeting that lasted 2 hours.  ZZZZ!  If I had to summarize what went on during those 2 hours, I couldn't tell ya.  On top of all that, Northender's VFW's WIFI is down. 

I picked my first 2 cucumbers from the garden.  I found a recipe online:
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ellie-krieger/cucumber-salad-recipe/index.html
I skinned my knuckles shredding the cukes.   I didn't have white wine vinegar but I did use balsamic.  I skipped the sugar that was called for.  Marinading makes a big difference.  It was good. 

Friday I rode to work  so that I could be part of the Legion Riders in the parade for the convention held here in town.  Michael and I walked to the convention center at lunch time to see if the store had small size shirts that were NOT Auxiliary.  I can't believe I found one.  Then we ate at the hospitality room and left a tip in the jar.  The cook mentioned that if I came after the parade that he'd fry me up some genuine alligator from Mississippi.   It was OK.  When I saw the cook the following morning at the convention in his suit, he asked me if I had nightmares about alligators. Why sure!

Pam, an American Legion Rider Auxiliary member from Tinley Park was feeling bad that she had to loan her ALR vest to the outgoing Auxiliary president for the parade.  Her vest was very personal to her and for those who ride, you know the meaning of "the cut".
She presented the American Legion Riders' candle and this is the 1st time that American Legion Riders were represented in the memorial at the convention.  Since she's feeling bad, I asked if she wanted me to go with her at 8am.  I showed up and sat with her on stage but then left when I saw it would be awkward for more than one to light a candle.  Singer was outstanding.  Then I went and put in some time at the Old State Capitol until it was time for the presentation of awards for the American Legion Riders Bike Show.   I got to go up on stage and get a medal.

After I got the medal I went over to Edwards Place for their Ice Cream Social.  Thanks to Gene for keeping my outfit in his car so I could change.  The Soldiers Aid Society performed our tableaux vivant.  I met my former office mate, Jackie there and our new office mate, Dennis came.  I had him join in the open dances with the Springfield International Folk Dancers.  He was reluctant at first but he smiled while joining in.   I came back and settled down early. 

Here is an original CDV of the dress that I have on to show its authenticity.  The pin had broken so I used my cockade where the pin would normally go.



Sunday morning I walked the dogs an noticed remnants of the horse that pulled a carriage through our neighborhood the night before when I walked the dogs.  Monday it was clear.

The car from the rental house that got repossessed is now gone.  It looks like the toys and pool in the yard are gone and the yard has been mowed.  However, you don't want to peak in that window and see the mess that I saw still there.

I ate some raspberries for the first time since planting them about 3 years ago but I got mosquito bites while picking the berries.

The Staab Memorial Ride is now online that I was on June 23d
SJ-R Dedication Photos:

IllinoisCentral - Staab: Ride in Honor Video

Dedication Story on WICS:







No comments:

Blog Archive