Tuesday, July 2, 2013

My Week

Tuesday I went to the Civil War Retreat Ceremony at the Lincoln Tomb.  We had about  minutes of rain that may have ruined  a few of the tickets for the drawing on the flag while we ladies huddled under an umbrella.  I was happy to see Larry who is a General Grant reenactor there.  He obviously had his union pants and vest on but not his full dress since he was an observer in the audience at this. 
I came home to have a lovely thank you email from the mother of a lady soldier whom I had sent a package to.  Ha! she had hoped she wasn't too forward.  I had replied with gratitude. 
Surprised to get an email in my inbox from the mother of a LoL thanking me for the box that I had sent her. Only surprise was that she thought it was tooooo forward of her. How sweet. Made my day knowing the box made it to her. The others are a mystery but abandoned to any soldier there.
 There was a substitute teacher for my YMCA exercise class.  Her music was different
 I'm so excited to be paying off my mortgage and the extra buy-back of 4 years into the state retirement system.   
 Thursday evening I met with my son, sister and Norm for dinner at the Dublin Pub.  Then I took Kathy and Norm to the Muni to see Les Miserables. 

Friday morning I gave them a tour of the city.  I took them to Camp Butler, the Lincoln Tomb, the Abraham Lincoln Presidential Museum, Old State Capitol, Lincoln Home and then the Vachel Lindsey home for the Ice Cream Social.  Whew!
By then, Alan came down from Peoria.  We ate at Lake Pointe Grill because it was a nice compromise for all ranges of appetites.  I had the swordfish special.  I never ate that before.  
I dropped them off at the hotel.  The boys went to a movie and I went to watch the fireworks from the school parking lot.
Saturday I walked my dogs and mowed the back yard before the predicted rain.  Alan stayed the night and did his laundry here.  I got up and noticed that the washer needed to have its contents balanced.  Then got ready for the Appeal for Assistance: The Aftermath of Vicksburg at the Old State Capitol.  I learned how to wrap a black powder bullet and box it up to send to the troops on the front lines.  
On the way home I noticed that the motorcycle shop was still open so I stopped by to check the status of Wheezer.  I was told there was a badly cracked rear tire.  Sure enough.  There was plenty of thread on the tires but the sides were so cracked that you could see the whites of the inside.  Cyler seemed to think that maybe the previous owner used that tire shine to sell the bike and the label warns against it.
Then I got a call from Sears about the battery powered mower to see if I wanted to still pick it up.  If I did, there would be  a $45 diagnostic fee.  I said no and that I've already replaced that mower.
Sunday I had the first reading at Mass.  I had some difficult words.
http://ccc.usccb.org/cccradio/NABPodcasts/13_06_30.mp3
Our church is preparing for a change in pastors.

My son and I went to an open house. 
 http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1240-Monument-Ave-Springfield-IL-62702/75495234_zpid/
The windows were new and recently painted but it is old and floors are not level.
Drove around a bit and Now Sean likes this house
  Monday I was looking forward to my final mortgage payment.  I had called weeks before to see if I could pay it locally since it was calculated to the date and was told I could.   However, when I went to the Wells Fargo office at 4800 Wabash Ave, Springfield, IL I was told they don’t accept payments.  I explained that I had called to see if they could and of course, she wanted to know who I spoke with.  Duh! Of course not.  She said I could pay over the phone.  So I called on my cell phone and learned that there was a $15 fee to do that.  So I ran over to my credit union to wire the funds.  There I was told it would cost $30 to wire the fee and without guarantee that it would make it the same day.  She gave me the numbers for an electronic transfer from the credit union to Wells Fargo.  I thought it would be best to use my land line than a cell phone.  There I learned via the 800 number that there is a  $15 fee over the phone and a $20 fee added if assistance was needed but that it was free done over the internet.  So….I logged into the internet.  There I learned that final payments couldn’t be made online.  Back to calling the 800 number.  I was told I should overnight the fee.  The extra day added an additional .13 to the bill.  The final payment must be made by Western Union or cashier’s check. So I went and got a cashier’s check from the credit union and walked it over to the post office to overnight the $900.21 cashier’s check for $19.95 in postage.  If I knew then what I know now, I’d be less stressed.  What a F run around.  Enjoyed a root beer float from Maid Rite.
I had a little diversion to the work day by watching some youngsters having a lemonade stand outside my office window.
 
 


No comments:

Blog Archive