Monday, July 29, 2019

My Week


This week is primarily Amber's Week.
Tuesday morning, after going to Powerworks, I took Amber to Lisa Schmit's In the Zone Agility class.  She did wonderful.  This is the first time I didn't need an interim goal with a bucket to go through 2 hoops but rather the whole course like the other dogs in class. 



I figure if this 93 year old woman with a cane can do agility, so can I.





 After dog training on Tuesday, I came home, walked the dogs, then got dressed for tours at the Lincoln Tomb by 1PM.  I stayed for the flag lowering ceremony that starts at 7PM.  The regular staff leaves at 5PM.  This was a special day because Gen Grant and Gen Sherman attended the Flag Lowering Ceremony.  Grant is too tall so he stooped down.
Other ladies from our Soldiers Aid Society.   Best photo opportunity has the sun in our face.
We were also fortunate with fair weather and the 33rd Regimental Band played before the ceremony.

Wednesday evening I went to the Veterans Assistance Commission meeting.  I'm the secretary.

Thursday evening I went to the Civil War Round table and we had a great guest speaker named Randy who discussed his Civil War photography collection.
Saturday morning I headed out to the Champaign-Urbana Dog Club for AKC rally trials.  I paid for four trials:  2 on Saturday and 2 on Sunday.  Since three successful trials/legs mean a title, I had an extra test should one be disqualified.  If I did pass the first three, I could take the Advanced Rally trial with nothing to loose.  I hadn't really practiced that level but once.  

Oh and here's a funny: The judge looked at my dog puzzled because the secretary wrote down Boston terrier instead of border terrier.   We smiled and the secretary scratched in a correction.

I got our AKC Intermediate Rally title (1st score, 74, second score 89, third score 90).  Since I had paid for 4 trials, and passed the first 3 for title, I bumped up to Advanced Rally at the end of Sunday.  Shari stayed to watch which made me glad to have her witness as my mentor.  It was Amber's first time off leash and a jump was added.  I had only experimented with that once before.  Amber has a tendency to go turbo running around the ring sometimes and that was my fear going off leash.  I've seen others before me have dogs heading for the nearby gate after the jump and that had me concerned with Amber's freedom runs. Turned out to be our highest score of the weekend (94) but our sole competition in class was absent.  I thought I was competing with everyone on the yellow sheet with different height jumps!  So when it came time to hand out awards, he called 310 (I wasn't sure he meant me because of my hearing impediment).  I looked around and said "who me?".  He wasn't kidding when he said we were in a class by ourselves. I was shocked.  I was proud because of all we went through and still feeling we deserved this.  I don't think Amber was doing the advanced rally crisp but she did perform ALL signs.  I couldn't see her trailing behind me so I really wish I had that video.

Amber tends to keep a nose to the ground whereas others focus on the handler's face a lot more.  I practiced playing "leave it" during our down time but it's a fun game to her.  During the trial is still hard for her to resist.

We got a 4th place ribbon for the first trial with a score of 74.  Notice the sheet that has 3 NQs (non-qualified).  That bumped me up in placement so it's not really brag worthy.
        


She got a 4th place ribbon our of 4 that qualified. Note our number is 310 with a rather low score.  In the afternoon, we had a good step forward with a score of 89 for her second trial.  I got a qualify for the second trial with a score of 89 but no ribbon placement. You can see why in this illustration.  Number 210 passed in the previous beginner trial and asked to be bumped up to intermediate.   Look at this...three of them tied with scores of 98!


I returned Sunday morning after going to church and made it in time for our group to trial.  It's an hour and a half drive.  This time we got a score of 90 and got our Intermediate Rally Title.  I immediately went to the secretary to bump up the next level since I paid for that 4th trial.


  Only 2 in our class and the other was absent so we got a blue ribbon.  I really think a 94 is really good for not practicing at this level.  It wasn't crisp but it wasn't a miss.  I really can't believe we did this off leash.  Especially seeing dogs headed for the gate after that jump near the gate.  Whew!  I was given advice in advance to just keep talking to her and that helped a lot.  Amber tends to keep a nose to the ground where the others focus on their handler's face.  I sometimes think we're in the wrong specialty with that nose of hers.
 Amber and her first trial in the Advanced Rally earned her a blue ribbon that is too big for her to wear on her collar.

I once felt no connection to her on a leash. I thought I was walking a wild racoon or something. Then she clicked.   I really have to thank the members of the Capitol Canine Training Club for all their support.  I really didn't know much about dog training a year ago.  I still have a long way to go.  AKC rules seem to get more complicated going up the ladder. I'd been pushing hard and it would be nice to slow down a bit.   I want to keep the practice going but slow a little on the trials and focus more on therapy dogs.  Either way, I needed to understand this process.

I came home and got Amber a plain burger from Steak N Shake.  I had a specialty burger.  I hadn't had a burger in so long so I thought it would be a treat but it was too rich for my sissy stomach.    Sean was still doing laundry and I showed him all the ribbons.  Sean said Sophie was love sick and lonely when opened my house to do laundry.

It's nice to know that my little dogs have a purpose.
Here comes the rain.



No comments:

Blog Archive