Sunday, July 14, 2019

My Week

Tuesday morning Amber did well in class too. She went thru the hoop and tunnel. On the downside, she had a sugar rush run around at turbo speed.

Then I went to the Lincoln Tomb after Amber's class. I gave tours up until the Flag Lowering ceremony.   I was assigned as the floater position this week and bumped upon the scheduled to master of ceremonies.
 
I came home, walked the dogs, loaded the car for an early morning trip to New Glarus, WI with my sisters.  Before we left,  we texted about last minute packing.  Mine was something like "just throw some clean panties in a bag".  Another was don't forget your toothbrush.  When we arrived, Patty forgot panties.  Ha ha ha!  We went to find a Family Dollar store for panties and low and behold there was a Duluth Trading Outlet Store next to it.  They had panties and I needed a sports bra.  I also tried on some nice pocket pants but not quite a fit.

We stayed in the guest room above Kennedy’s Ice Cream and Grill.  Patty arrived with some sort of poison spots from weeding her yard.  She said it didn't itch but she had to wear long sleeves and use a special soap.



We visited a local brewery~  the New Glarus Brewing Co.  We bought a bracelet for the beer tasting.





Thursday morning we went for an hour walk on the trail after making breakfast.  In the afternoon, we spent an hour swimming at the community pool in the park across the way.  I was the only sister that dunked and got her hair wet.  I was the only one that did laps and went down the slide.  My sisters just bobbed up and down in the water.  Before exercising, we went to a winery since the place is not open real late ~ Bailey's Run

This is Bailey:

We went to WERQ fitness by Nichole.

https://www.facebook.com/werqNewGlarus/
We stopped at a pharmacy and had some nice things for 75% off.  I fell in love with a nice necklace.

In the evening we shared a chicken taco pizza.
Friday morning we wanted to make the most of the last bit of time together.  We went to see the covered bridge.  It was quite a hike and the signs were not very good.  I thought we were on the wrong path but just when we were about to tire out, there it was.


 This could have been a real nice photo of us together if Patty hadn't put 2 fingers up.
 Ginny crossing the covered bridge.
On the way back we looked for a traditional stop for a rummage sale.  There were many on the way to the bridge but none coming back so we stopped at the one in New Glarus.  It was a small sale but I did get a hall runner.  Few blocks away there was a Swiss History Village.
Mrs Fridolin Tschudi Shop keeper.  I learned more about the history of New Glarus here:
https://www.swisshistoricalvillage.org/new-glarus-history-timeline
Meat and smoke house.

The printing office:


 I was intrigued with this back basket since I have a willow basket for reenacting.






We all stood behind this vintage fire car.
The vintage corn sheller
Civil War era printing press.
The old church.  The gravestones are original but there are no bodies in the village.
Typical farmhouse display
At the entrance to the museum:
Traditional Swiss dress
Potato planter


We felt it good idea to patronize the Kennedy's Ice Cream and sandwich shop before we left.  I had a salmon burger. Ginny had a black bean burger and let me sample it.  That would have been my second choice.  Yum.  Here we are in front of the snack bar sitting on the cow bench.   I'm wearing my Hayward, WI sport shirt that says established in 1953.
I had an enjoyable time with my sisters.  Although they seemed to spar a bunch on who had the most steps on the fitbit....a game I don't play.  I'm just thankful to be alive and move period.

On the way back, I nearly passed up a sign in Freeport to the  Lincoln-Douglas Debate site and quickly turned back lest I regret it.  It was right next to Union Dairy so I felt I needed a cone since I was in their parking lot.


 The statues are in the shade so they don't show up very well.
 Notice the sign on the left is for an upcoming reenactment of the debate Aug 24, 2019 at 6PM.  (We know that Lincoln didn't grow a beard until after he was elected president when little Grace Bedell said he'd look more comely if he grew a beard)

On my way back I picked up my dogs, Amber and Sophie, in Peoria and saw some of Alan's projects.  He shared this video with me of Amber playing with a tethered rope.  I guess I need to get one.

I arrived home low on fuel and wanted to go straight to the gas station that I knew I'd get a discount and a car wash.  That made it 6:50 and I still had time to get to the Capitol Canine Training Club for 7PM practice.  Here I am waiting my turn with Amber and Sophie is in one of the kennels left side along the wall.  We are all intensely watching. 

Saturday morning, Amber took the therapy dog test this morning and novice trick dog test.  We passed but there's paperwork for both before it's official.  I screwed up 2 forms but the 3rd was a charm.   First, I only had a pencil and it needed to be in pen.  Then I used one of my address labels and that was wrong and had to be redone.  I was told it was a legal document.

Amber's Rally Novice certificate came in the mail on Saturday.


Ginny said she should start saving up for next year's get together.  She said her trip was funded with her "chicken money" and haircuts.

I close this week's blog with a meaningful video: I was so deeply moved by this that I think I'll share and re-watch from time to time. Hope you feel the same way.


No comments:

Blog Archive