Monday, July 1, 2019

My Week

Muggy ~ Sticky  ~ Hot

Tuesday seemed busy:  Exercise, mowed the yard then volunteered at the Lincoln Tomb from 1PM-8PM.
Last minute before the ceremony a bus pulled up and we had a rush to register the people for the flag drawing.  One asked me the infamous "ghost" question.  I said you will leave here "spirit-filled" but not through a ghost.

I took Sophie to the nursing home on Thursday.  I think that robot dogs are replacing therapy dogs.

Wednesday evening I went to the Interveterans Council meeting.  The following evening I learned that the commander of the Interveterans Council was in critical condition after an accident and passed away Sunday morning at 2:53 AM.  Charlie Pallozollo left so much unfinished business. 

Members of the American Legion were given a short notice on Friday requesting veterans to show up at 2PM to record a recitation of the Pledge of Allegiance for the radio station to play during the month of July.  Yea...it was a recording without a salute or anything.

Friday evening I took Amber to practice at Capitol Canine Club.  I tried something different; healing off leash with a crowd of dogs along the walls of the room.  She stayed relatively close to foot but I had to call her face back to focus on me a few times.  Then we had an exercise called stand for inspection.  Up until now she's been sitting and the trainer would have me step away from the dog while she comes forward to touch the dog on head and shoulder.  Natural instinct is to sit for inspection but the more advanced is to "stand for inspection".  This is new for us.  We were asked if there was anything we want to work on.   I had a special request to walk my dog past another walking in the opposite direction without going dog crazy.   After training I took Amber to the Homecoming Festival in the square to see how she'd react in a crowd.  That was so-so.  A lot of people and she seemed confused.

Saturday morning I went to 8AM yoga.  It's intermediate compared to our beginner/senior yoga on Thursday.  I may be more yogi than some of the younger folks on Saturday but not the best either.  Deborah likes to challenge us though.  You can see me in the mirror in astonishment.



Yeah she saw me taking her picture when she was upside down.  She told the group that she wanted to be like me when she's 65. Ha!

Saturday our Legion post had a Homecoming Parade.  I usually carry the rifle when our color guard posts colors for events but marching a few blocks it gets pretty heavy so I swapped for the POW flag.

 The blue flag is carried by Sons of the American Legion...something new and I love their involvement in our post.  He is one of the elected village trustees.

 As we approach the 4th of July, I'm reminded of the Oath of Allegiance during the American Civil War. As the end of the war drew near, the prisoners were told they would be released if they signed the oath of allegiance.
https://civilwartalk.com/threads/oath-confederates-were-made-to-take-after-the-war.83561/?fbclid=IwAR3q8aE4xPhwCm4ElnZFWriUoMMSwOi5h4A_9pAAsAiDfb7WH95wori4s6g

No comments:

Blog Archive