Monday, February 29, 2016

My Week

Here we are with snow on Wednesday and 63 on Sunday.  Shock our systems into spring. 

Tuesday I helped for a few hours at the Lincoln Tomb before going on a 'visit'.   I took this picture from inside the tomb.  No one was there so I tried to read it out loud.  The verbiage was so difficult.  Sure, the ending part is popular ~ "With Malice towards none and charity for all".  What preceeds this line was difficult to say out loud.
"Woe unto the world because of offences! for it must needs be that offences come; but woe to that man by whom the offence cometh!" If we shall suppose that American Slavery is one of those offences which, in the providence of God, must needs come, but which, having continued through His appointed time, He now wills to remove, and that He gives to both North and South, this terrible war, as the woe due to those by whom the offence came, shall we discern therein any departure from those divine attributes which the believers in a Living God always ascribe to Him? Fondly do we hope--fervently do we pray--that this mighty scourge of war may speedily pass away. Yet, if God wills that it continue, until all the wealth piled by the bond-man's two hundred and fifty years of unrequited toil shall be sunk, and until every drop of blood drawn with the lash, shall be paid by another drawn with the sword, as was said three thousand years ago, so still it must be said "the judgments of the Lord, are true and righteous altogether"
With malice toward none; with charity for all; with firmness in the right, as God gives us to see the right, let us strive on to finish the work we are in; to bind up the nation's wounds; to care for him who shall have borne the battle, and for his widow, and his orphan--to do all which may achieve and cherish a just and lasting peace, among ourselves, and with all nations."
 This is the plaque:
I had to find an audio of someone else saying this.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YhteaxrdmKo

Phil Wilson gave a talk on Civil War Photography Thursday evening at 7 p.m. at the Elijah Iles House. Phil has worked hard preparing his demo.  He has built a period camera.

I found my missing water bottle used for reenacting while at the nursing home where I take Sophie on visits. I had been looking for it since last fall and had to replace it.  Needless to say, it's been crushed and cracked and will no longer hold water. 

I have a bottle similar to this that has Watkins dish soap.  I guess I'll be hand washing for awhile.  I need to find a nice label.  I've been making an album on Pintrest for possible labels.
Friday I got to see a special video of the Lincoln Funeral reenactment put together by the local paper.  The video is for sale in the Lincoln Home gift shop for $25.  A few of the members or our reenacting group have cameo shot in the video including myself but I don't think I'd want a copy for myself.
I was happy to receive our active member certificate and pin from Therapy Dog International.
One of the residents that I had visited had passed but his life story was very humbling. 
https://www.fold3.com/page/84342382_david_c_adkins/stories/

Sunday I read the 1st reading at Mass.  Later I went to the anniversary of the First Gulf War.  I wore my old camouflage uniform as I participated and represented the Air Force in the tributes.
News does show me toward the end of this video saluting with the living historians because I stepped back so my saluting elbow wouldn't bump into Werner.
http://newschannel20.com/news/local/va-holds-desert-storm-remembrance-ceremony

Other pictures from the ceremony in the paper here:
http://www.sj-r.com/photogallery/LS/20160228/NEWS/228009999/PH/1

You can see me as part of the ceremony at 3:12 on this clip you:
http://www.wandtv.com/category/182814/video?clipId=12248230&autostart=true
I watched a movie on Netflix called "The Homesman".  I really haven't watched a movie in a long time.  This was really good.
https://bmovies.film/film/the-homesman-2014-2/watching.html/

No comments:

Blog Archive