Monday, February 1, 2016

My week

After last week's snow storm, we now have had a nice weekend in the 50's and the only snow left showing is from shoveled mounds and tips of snowmen.  The electric snowblower that I got in July sale did not work when I needed it last week.  Now that it got warmer, I took another look at it and it does work.  I must have had a loose connection.

Monday night I went to Civil War dance practice that has begun for the Lincoln Birthday Ball at the Old State Capitol. We learned: 

Lonesome Shepherd 
Corner Triplet
 Schottische
Empress Quadrille
Rory OMore Not my favorite.  It's sort of like this with different music and instead of a center spin we'll just slide by face to face.

Tuesday morning I walked Sophie before taking my car in for a repair after having a check engine soon light.  I had to leave it and got a ride home.  I got a ride to pick my car up from the neighbor.  I'm glad I fueled up on the way home because gas went up on Wednesday.Now on Monday, I have an appointment for the car on Wed. What ever they fixed last Tues didn't fix it. I had another check engine light on Monday and I didn't even drive Saturday so that's really less than a week.

Wednesday I had double exercise class:  senior strength and zumba.  I then did a little senior discount day shopping at the goodwill.  I found some new soft, furry, grey Vera Wang pajamas.  I like warm but not the Walmart fleece look.   I then had lunch with Michael and learned that Deb had crochet a lap afgan for someone in need.  I brought this up at the evening meeting of the Interveterans Council of Sangamon County.   I got a lead for a 95 year old woman marine in at Regency Care.  I met her on Friday to see if Margret O'Donnell would accept this gift and she said she would.  I've made arrangements for both of us to be there to present it to her on Monday.
Monday I went with her to present it to Margret.





Oh and as a result of this, I suggested to the IVCSC that we need like a little black book of services for veterans in need and helpers to fill those needs such as above.  I know that in the past, AMVETS was looking for help with a veteran in need of a ramp in Springfield and I also know that the local IL National Guard was looking for a job to help a veteran in the community but these were at different times and unmatched requests.
Well, it was the night to swear in the new officers so I took this picture for the website but it put me in a tricky angle to get them all in.
I also brought up a need for a women's PTSD group in our area.  The closest (which isn't very close) is in Chicago.  Women may be integrated into the military but their needs are different.  I just think it would be hard to get that kicked off with child care needs and other demands.

I had posted on facebook that I remembered where I was when Challenger exploded on the 30th Anniversary. I was at work at Tinker AFB watching on TV with others who were shocked.   As a result, a facebook friend in Belleville area whom I had met here through veterans events said he was at Tinker.  We narrowed it down and we even lived on the same street in base housing but different command units.   I lived at 5014 Twining Dr. and Larry Miller lived at 5082.  He is a life member of the Legion, VFW, AMVETS, VVA, AFSA, AFA.  

Friday I helped out at the Old State Capitol.  I realize that it's not a big tourist season but I am trying to acclimatize my hearing aids to the acoustics.  I learned that I can't even hear the desk phone with my hearing aids.

I'm replacing the Velcro on this hoop with hooks so that the Velcro won't stick where it's not supposed to and while I'm doing that....Sophie is in the middle.

I didn't even move my car Saturday. but I got one sewing project done and listed bunch of dolls and cleaned the floor (tho you wouldn't know that now with all the melting.)  Here is the list for my sales items but they are also on Craigslist which does not have a group link.
http://www.ebayclassifieds.com/user/toga42

Sunday I went to a meeting of the Lincoln Monument Association.  I scanned some more old photos that were getting moisture damage.  This picture was probably taken while I was still in basic training.

 I don't even remember who I'm with in this photo. I even forgot that the AF used to have a white mess dress jacket.  I was a buck sergeant or SSgt it appears.
 Her I am with some coworkers at the 513th Supply Sq at RAF Mildenhall. I don't remember them either but the two on my left have both ladies version of fatique uniforms.
 Frank's official photo for a special duty assignment.
This was for the newspaper announcement before the wedding so my hair was not done. No I did not have a zit on my chin. It's on the photo before scanning.  I can really see a resemblance to my sister Gloria.  Then I found my first communion picture.  I don't think it looks like me but I sure recognize the brick house.  I'll always remember the date of my First Holy Communion ~ May 6, 1961.

 I have lots more work to do in the area of scanning but it is so slow and boring.

No comments:

Blog Archive