Monday, August 31, 2015

My Week

This summer I think I used my air conditioning very little. I guess I've been fortunate to save on my air conditioning bill this summer but looks like it will be back on this week.  Summer is not over yet.  I also noticed ants only once in the spring.  I used to tackle them often. 
Tuesday evening I went to the airport homecoming for the Land of Lincoln Honor Flight.   Governor Rauner was there with his wife Linda to welcome the veterans home.  He's been getting out and greeting people a lot and I've been in his company before but this was my first photo with him. Here I am with Les Morgan, our Legion Service Officer.
in addition to the governor there was  Erica L. Jeffries
Director, Illinois Department of Veterans' Affairs


A candid selfie was taken by a photographer for the Lincoln, IL News Herald. She did show us it in her camera after taking it and we thought is captured the moment.  I didn't know it was published until a friend told me.  Other photos here: http://www.newheraldnews.com/454/135785/a/1st-of-fall-honor-flights-touched-down-tuesday-night
 
Wednesday's thrift store finds for my reenactiong are a chemise, wool throw, and a high back chair.  The chair looks like a cat used the bottom wood as a scratching post but the chair didn't wiggle.  I'd use it in camp anyway so the scratches and wear wouldn't matter.
 I also found a chemise which I removed the tag and a wool throw.  The tag says Pennington wool.

Thursday I went to SIU Edwardsville for the annual Welcome Week's Rock Horror Picture Show. I put the 8 week color in my hair.  The bottle was so old that when I squeezed it, the bottle cracked, split and spilled.  On the way I stopped by to see our old house.  It's looking good for its age.


 I went through all the props and put them together by characters in the movie.  I had a some help bringing them from the parking lot to the student center.  I gave them some background on the movie but the audience was so full of virgins that it would have been impossible to conduct the 'virgin ritual' and give them all one of the sour cherry candies that I brought representing the RHPS popped cherry.  I had prepared a Power Point with the script and the audience call backs were in parenthesis.  If ever I can't come down to do this as happened in 2009 when I had my accident, at least the show will go on with the slide show script I gave them.

Friday I went to the Old State Capitol for our finale of the summer's History Comes Alive at the Old State Capitol with the Soldiers Aid Society.  This was the end of August and the end of History Comes Alive so a bit dramatic hugs to close.  In the evening I experienced a cramp from my left hip to inner knee.  It lasted about 10 agonizing minutes. I wonder if that is a side-effect from my Pravastatin.

Saturday morning I had my first meeting with the Wimmer Cemetery board regarding the September 27 Cemetery Walk.  I'll be portraying Ruth Orr Mau.  I have a practice on Sep 22d.  After the meeting I In the evening I helped out at the Old State Capitol for a reception and presentation in my widows weeds since the presentation was on Lincoln's funeral.

Sunday I walked my dog and saw a hawk kill a squirrel on someone's lawn. Then after a few moments of struggle the hawk flew it to the roof of a neighboring garage. Well, there's plenty of hawk food in this neighborhood that's for sure.  Then I went to church on Wheezer.  I saw the neighbor girl and asked if they had given a name to the lost cat that chose their home to live at and my dog to taunt.  She told me that Steve has stuck.
I spoke with my son, Alan, and learned that he had not had alcohol (beer) in over four weeks.  Although he is drinking more soda.  I asked him if he lost weight and he said about 8lbs.

Monday morning I have a meeting with the Lincoln Monument Association at Schnucks store.   As I was leaving Schnucks, three men were following (I wouldn't say running but walking with big steps) after a black woman who was running out the door. She got in her SUV and they took a photo of her. As they returned, I asked what that was all about. He said she just thought she was entitled to something she didn't pay for.
Monday I got a nice letter in the mail from a Lady of Liberty whom I sent a box to.
That sure is motivating as I have 3 boxes almost ready to go out for September.

As the grass gets dryer and burs are sprouting, Sophie's little tail picks up a lot of brush.

No comments:

Blog Archive