Wednesday, August 5, 2015

My Week

I have a pet peeve that is not really my problem nor affects me personally in any way. It happens to be yard waste bags without a pre-paid collection sticker and the bags sit, rot, get parked on till they disappear naturally and the residents put out a replacement.  Don't they learn that they need a sticker or have they been confused between storm branches and yard waste?

Last Monday I dropped off paperwork for the veterinarian to sign for Sophie's Therapy Dog documentation and he didn't have a record of her vaccinations. I then dropped off a copy of what she had from Sangamon County Animal Control.  I had to leave it since the doctor was not availble. At that time, the next available appoint was Aug 17. I follow up the next day and was told the doctor was busy so I made the next available appointment for Aug 21st (yeah that wait cost me some time). I guess they want money and not just a record check and documentation signing.

Tuesday I attended a "2 for 1" mission with the Patriot Guard Riders.  The mission was for David Dilly and we gave flag line honors as guests arrived.  I knew two of the guests attending the visitation, one from work and one from church.  Mr Dilly was a gracious marine and scout master.  Meanwhile, Navy veteran Dennis Clark had a small funeral at Staab's Funeral home and the PGR gave honors to the hearse which left a hour earlier.   I must admit that the driver of the car following Cark's hearse got out of the car (with family inside) to step out and join us in saluting the casket as it went by. 

Wednesday I just did my thrift store shopping early and local so I could have an 11:00 lunch with Michael.  That's because at noon I was a volunteer at the Elijah Iles House  till 4PM.  I fixed a wonderful garlic bratwurst and then went to my meeting with the Legion Riders.  I don't know what to say about that meeting but going into the meeting I knew it would be stressful. I knew they would try pulling me into the mess. 
The meeting started right off with Dave attacking Neil for speaking in the garage to fellow members   behind his back. I took the off side conversations more as praise in public and criticize in private. He also argued about the "support your Outlaws" patch on Neil's vest.  Granted, No support pins or patches for motorcycle clubs or their support organizations shall be worn on The American Legion Riders vest.  The day before the meeting, Dave called me (on speaker phone with Ron in the background).  During the meeting he turned to me and that I said there were discrepancies in the account.  No I told him that I didn't say that.  I said that after every meeting Ron offer us a chance to look at the account for discrepancies because he had nothing to hide.
Neil feels we are not as tight knit and brotherly as the Outlaws.  I really feel this is between the two of them and the fact that Dave lives across from the Outlaws' club house.  Dave seems to have a love-hate relationship with the outlaws and to seeing Neil socializing with them probably makes him envious or unnerving.  "Moreover if thy brother shall trespass against thee, go and tell him his fault between thee and him alone" (Matthew 18:15-17)
Our main post officers were present for the legal aspects of our by-laws and officers. 

Thursday was reserved for my appointment with the plumbers.  I got a new water heater and it required new pipes and the works to bring things up to code.  While they were here, I had them check the dryer that sometimes smells of gas and the dryer duct vent that's under the crawl space.  That vent was a foil sagging tube and no good.  Now that I have a new water heater and new gas line to the dryer, I discover that the spittle sound that was coming from my bathroom sink is really a leak. I went under my sink to get cleaning supplies while the water heater was out of the utility closet and discovered this. They'll have to come another day due to time constraints. Then after that get's fixed, I'll need someone with carpentry skills to replace the wet boards. Curt Wood Plumbing and sons did a good job. His son even thanked me for my service despite not having service members in his family except WW2.
Before and after dryer duct.  Old foil sagged between joists as low as the crawl space.  Yes, I took pictures blindly in the dark, upside down, from the crawl space hole.  The workers left that silver snake down there.  Sometime in the near future, I'll have to lower my step stool and pull it out.


While the plumbers were here I got a lot of stuff done.  I paid my bills, cut the grass, did some image scanning, set up facebook event for Lana's medical bills, etc. 
Friday while at the Old State Capitol, I picked up my copy of the photo book from the Lincoln Funeral at cost ($30).  My picture is in it 3 times.
Here's a photo of the cover of this 11" x 8.5" coffee table book.


Yeah I had a busy week and sill a lot of work I need to do but I need a fun run with the Legion Riders to Evandy's Boatel. I had blackened catfish with sweet potato fries and coleslaw. NO BONES in my fish either. Yum!

Evandy's Boatel is a kid friendly place!
Sunday morning I went to Mass and drove past Laura walking which I know she prefers and even drives a Prius.  However, during Mass there were thunderstorms and she gladly accepted my ride back.  I read the second reading at Mass.  I fixed lunch for Sean and myself.  Starting to pull everything out from under my bathroom vanity to get ready to fix the leak.

I sawed up some wood using the circular saw and put them on a pallet for the fireplace in winter.  Not much there.  It's a hunt when I walk the dog or drive by potential winter wood.

I'm scrubbing up a script for the Wimmer Cemetery Walk which still needs work.  I'm also getting props ready for SIUE's Campus Activities Board showing of the Rocky Horror Picture Show.  While in the garage, I found my charger cable for the Toro mower that I'd been looking for.  I bought a new one.

Lesson for this stressful week:
The student asks the master, “Master, how do I get away from doing the wash, cleaning the dishes, taking a bath, etc. everyday?”
The master smiles and says “Do the wash, clean the dishes, take your bath…”.

No comments:

Blog Archive