Tuesday, August 25, 2015

My week

There, I finished 3 shifts at The Illinois State Fair serving beer at the fair and one shift with the "Looking For Lincoln" exhibit.  My pop top finger is sore and nails broken.  One tent had a tool for that the did not hurt the finger but two of my shifts were at the other tent where he had to use our hands to open the cans.  The weather was real nice this year.  It rained once.  Although most of the workers were getting funds for their chosen veterans organization, one was doing community service for the American Legion.  The hottest of those shifts being the Looking for Lincoln all dressed up.

Tuesday I painting my porch ceiling sky "Haint"  blue after years of knocking off wasp's nests.  I've been wanting to do this for years but finally did it. I also tried out a new program at Powerworks called Zumba Gold for seniors.  That really worked up a sweat. 


Hahaha on the dance floor dance like no one's watching.

Wednesday was the first day of school around here (Monday in different areas) and I saw a mother snapping a picture of her daughter dressed for 1st grade.  In the evening I went to a thank you reception for State Senator Andy Manar as a member of ABATE.

Thursday I had lunch with Michael which usually happens on Wednesday.  In the evening I went to our first meet for the History Mystery Dinner in which I will be roll playing Elizabeth Todd Edwards (Mary's sister).  The first show is sold out before we even met.
 It's sort of like playing the game of Clue and there are 6 characters to choose the "who done it".

Murder Mystery Dinner
Friday, October 2 (SOLD OUT)
Saturday, October 3 (SELLING FAST!)
6 pm
$40


In response to popular demand, Edwards Place will host a Murder Mystery Dinner in the parlors on Friday, October 2.  The year is 1864. Benjamin and Helen Edwards are throwing an engagement party for their daughter Alice, but murder is in the air.  It’s up to you to discover “whodunit”  and solve the crime! Ticket price includes dinner, mystery, and table wine.

 After that I made it to an ABATE meeting that started at 7PM.  I was just a little late but I think they started a little late too.

Friday after my exercise class I went to the Veterinarian.  I had all the paperwork now done and mailed for Sophie to be a certified Therapy Dog International's therapy dog. 

There was a short notice for a Patriot Guard  mission for Fredrick Randall "Fred" Snyder.  So I quickly got some Chinese food "to go" and ate it while we waited for the funeral to begin.  After the funeral I came home and took a brief nap before I worked the beer tent.  I got a .50 c tip which goes to the cashier for veterans.

In my blog 2 weeks ago, I wrote:  "I have a pet peeve that is not really my problem nor affects me personally in any way. It happens to be yard waste bags without a pre-paid collection sticker and the bags sit, rot, get parked on till they disappear naturally and the residents put out a replacement."
Today,  I took positive action. I put my own pre-paid pick up sticker on this bag for my neighbor.

Saturday I tried (really) to check a few things off my list of chores.  I got a hat for my upcoming cemetery walk outfit, dropped off a Catholic War Veterans cap with a member,  then loaded up my flags to take to Oak Ridge state War Memorials for a a Governor's Ride.  I have a big plastic flag on poles that can be held by 2.  We had some nice Girl Scouts helping and afterward there was a street party at the Governor's Mansion.  This guy played the National Anthem with his mouth/teeth.
Girl Scouts helped us hold flags as the 400 motorcycles went  past the Illinois State War Memorials.



Sunday I had Mass with the Catholic War Veterans and then I went to the last day of the state fair.  Monday morning I tied Sophie to the front yard as I go about my morning.  Sometimes I sit outside with my laptop and coffee.  This morning I didn't and she was excited about a cat in the yard.  She got loose.   I must have tied her to the ring of the dog tag rather than the ring of the collar.   Sam across the street brought her home when he saw her running loose.  Thankfully, Graham brought over his super-dupper metal detector wand I now have her personalized tag back. 
Monday evening I went to the Honor Flight banquet and helped bus tables.  I explained as I reached that I'm not a waitress type.  We had plenty of help with this banquet and it went real smooth.

No comments:

Blog Archive