Tuesday, August 18, 2015

My Week

I got 2 emails thanking me for boxes sent to soldiers this week.  Whoo Hoo.  I know better than to expect it but it's nice to know that they didn't end up on a plane that went down in the Indian Ocean or something.  The only weird thing is that the box intended for a lady with panties seemed to get a thank you from a man.  No biggie.

Wednesday evening we had a great turnout this evening for Amvets Post 61.  Most ever and a new member to boot.  She works for the state veterans administration and will truly be an asset.

My plumber came to fix the leak in my bathroom.  At least I get to watch Daniel Boone on MeTV since I usually got to exercise at that time.  The new faucet is in.  He didn't charge me labor because of the new water heater job.  Only parts and I picked that up at Lowes myself.  Only took a few minutes.  Now I'll have to the vanity floor repaired where the leak was because of the rotted wood.  I got an estimate for $225 from the handy man.  Ahh when it rains it pours. 

I decided to fill my kiddie pool for relief.


Friday I make a dish of noodles, ham and kraut for a funeral luncheon.  The funeral for was for a WW2 veteran and father of a member of our Catholic War Veterans post.  The hearse arrived 15 minutes late for the 10AM Funeral Mass.  They left the church for the cemetery about an hour late.  Our luncheon didn't close till about 3PM.  It was my first time as hostess for a funeral luncheon so I don't know if this was typical but it was a big funeral.

Saturday I went to the state fair as part of the Looking For Lincoln exhibit.  It was hot and we were outside but in the shade. 
I met one of the many Santas at the fair that happened by.  Others I hear were on the other side of the fair grounds.

I had a young man ask me which side was the blue and which side was the gray.  Although for the most part, blue was Union and gray Confederate there were exceptions early in the Civil War.  I figure if they don't know the blue from the gray, it would be too confusing to discuss early-war exceptions.

Sunday I walked my dog early and notice a flea (or so I though it was because I brushed it away quickly) so I bathed her before going to Mass.  I rode my bike with the big flags on it for the events of the day.  The Mass scripture readings seemed to encourage me to eat fair food.   You can hear the readings here:  http://ccc.usccb.org/cccradio/NABPodcasts/15_08_16.mp3
Right after church I went to the fairgrounds for the opening ceremony of State Fair Veterans Day ceremony.  I got the veterans pin.  About 12:30, I left the fair grounds to go to a meet up at the route 66 truck stop for a PGR ride to Camp Butler National Cemetery for a wreath laying ceremony commemorating the end of WW2 known as the Spirit of 45.

Libby and I from the back while standing at the ceremony.  There was a shortage of flags for the turnout so I welcomed the relief when someone offered.
This photo of me riding past the memorial was taken by the State Journal Register:


Other photos from the event here:  http://visuals.sj-r.com/wreath-laying-ceremony-at-camp-butler-aug-16-2015/

It brought a tear to my eyes when Chaplain Holden read Mother Teresa's
"Do it anyway" because that's how I feel when there's no support. http://prayerfoundation.org/mother_teresa_do_it_anyway.htm


I returned to the fair for the 4PM veterans parade through the fair grounds.  This year, fair goers didn't cross in front and make me brake hard.

Last year, my son's dog, Moe, ruined a fur muff that I used for reenacting.  I found another on ebay but then Sunday evening, Sophie ruined a mink stole used as a prop for the Rocky Horror Picture Show.  My mom used to tell us kids when we broke some thing "I can't have anything nice"
 
 Monday evening I went back to the fair for the beer sales.  I was lucky to get assigned to Ethnic Village where the music isn't loud and the closure is earlier than the other beer tents.

Why can't veterans get along?  We get along well when a fellow comrade dies but if we get any where near the topic related to money or business, all hell breaks loose.  Rant...down and out for now.
 


No comments:

Blog Archive