Sunday, December 28, 2014

My Week

Ha, I went to PowerWorks and we had a power outage.  This is not a first since my recent membership so far.  I guess we need to put a generator on some of those peddle machines.

I ordered this 18th Century Short Gown top for $30 on eBay to wear at the St Louis 1700s Ball.  It's only the Maroon top.  No lace or skirt.  I got a skirt from Goodwill.  It resembles the $60 one on Jas Townsend & Son.  I made a fichu from an old nightie which was a Goodwill find and got a gray skirt from the Goodwill that will have the proper 'sweep'.  The skirt needed a few stitches but was even the half-off color because it is so dated in style.
Meet Sophie.  I adopted her on Monday from the Sangamon County Animal Control Shelter.
Here's our official adoption photo taken at the pound.



They have a 14 day return policy.  She had been previously adopted and returned saying she had an ear infection.  County vet denies it.  I noticed that she rolls around (like an ear itch) but consistently after eating. So I think she's cleaning her face.  Otherwise she doesn't do it.  I'm more concerned with redness in her eye but think that will clear up.  She also has some occasional Kennel Cough.  I'll take her to my vet after Christmas for a weigh-in because she's boarder 10 lbs and that could mean a difference in her heart worm pills.  She's due a pill Jan 11th so I'll see if she gains weight with me out of a kennel-life.  Sophie was in the back yard when I came back from the gym. She knows the doggie door flap. She barked at me when I met her at the gate but a play bark.  She travels well in the car.
Since she is too cute, and shivers, I thought I'd tone it down with a bad ass sweater.


I put together a little video of the photos  from Wreaths Across America earlier in the month.  I had more photos than the music so I centered the song.  I had been wanting to do this earlier but had to get it done before Christmas.



I went to my exercise strength training the day before Christmas and there were only 3 of us.  I went to the local Goodwill for our senior discount day and found a little throw rug.  I did leave the house for lunch and paid my cable bill that was buried on my desk and due on Dec 25th.  I didn't want to spend too much time away from home because I still had not received my major gifts for my sons that I had ordered on Amazon with an expected arrival of Dec 24th.  I checked online and was getting nervous.  Finally the package arrived about 4PM. 

My son came to stay the night and arrived about 7PM.  My other son arrived about 9PM and we went to church for Mass at 10PM and listened to the prelude choir music.  Odd that the choir sang "do do do" to the song "I saw three ships come sailing in" in place of the lyrics.  The choir gets a big Simpson Dhoo for that one.   I saw a lady in a white furry coat that had the tags on under the arms.  I couldn't help but wonder if it was a Christmas gift that she forgot to pull the tag off or planning to return it after Christmas.  
I got up early considering the late night Mass.  I checked the turkey that was in a warmed oven overnight and knew I had to de-bone it because there was a little dryness on top.  So, you can do that without eating some.  I had made an orzo pasta stuffing with all the spice and vegetable trios in it.  Alan fixed the mixed vegetables and potatoes like he did for Thanksgiving.  I had a nice Skype call with my sister. I showed her my flexed muscle from my group exercises and she showed my a real nice wedding photo she attended given as a thank you gift.  The 3 of us went to see Unbroken at the 10:30 morning matinee because it was half price and helped the fact that we could meet Sean at the theater.  Then he wouldn't have to leave Moe dog at my house that is not Moe-proof especially with a Pekinese he hasn't met yet.  Then he could depart and get the dog and have a nice afternoon Christmas meal.  Only draw back is that a 2 hour movie during these shorter daylight hours are pretty sparse for light.  Alan gave Moe got a Wobble Wag ball that is supposed to be durable.  He destroyed it.  I Told Alan that's why I get the 25 cent stuffed animals at the Salvation Army.  I think he got the idea. 

Sean gave me a "bug out" bag with all the survival gear he loaded himself and a nice book named Springfield "Then and Now".  Alan got ION Air Pro HD Action Sports Camera for me.  I also got some great ear phones that loop around my ear.  Mine keep falling out because I must not have a normal ear opening to hold them.  All the exercise machines are hooked to TV so this will be great.
I dropped the hint that I would like to have fireplace logs and a new toilet seat for Christmas but they probably did take it that serious.  Sophie was not fond of Moe's visit.  Moe was nuts and wanted her to play.  Sophie snarled a warning and hid from him.  However, Sean said Moe was a tired dog when he got home.

Afterward I went to the VFW for a small Christmas gathering there after my sons left.  

Meanwhile, on Facebook, people are somewhat bragging that their Christmas tree is down right away.  Ha, probably the same folks who complain about Christmas decorations in stores right after Halloween.  There's the Advent season and Christmas season (Dec 25 - Jan 6).  Maybe they need room to put up an early Lenten Cross in their living room.  Just kidding!

I had hopped to burn all the little branches in my fireplace for Christmas ambiance but the weather was soooo nice.  I'll save that for later when I'm shivering. 

The Sunday after Christmas is the Feast of the Holy Family.  I was fortunate to have Jim and Suz Shaner (from my AMVETS post) sit with me which I usually sit alone.  Our parish did something totally different.  The priest and our 2 deacon candidates invited each family (and were told to bring a single into their church family) to come forward for a special family blessing group by group.   The 3 of us became one family blessing group.  What a special coincidence that we sat together this day.

 
From my sister's Christmas Card:  "May we all recognize that in the end, no matter what we accomplish in life, what really matters is the Love of God, Family, and Friends. Our most valuable personal asset is our Health, and the Price of Anything is the piece of our Life that we give for it. "

No comments:

Blog Archive