Monday, January 5, 2015

My week

Tuesday, after my exercise class, I took Sophie to her first veterinarian appointment.  The Vet said Sophie is in good shape. I got drops for her eye because it is red and the inner lid is folded out a bit which may never go away. It's an inner lid and is said to be cosmetic. He thought she'd be a good candidate as a therapy dog because she submitted willingly and affectionately to the exam.

Friday was up to 37. I took my Christmas lights down while I could. Last year the stakes were so frozen in the ground that I couldn't get them out till late March. 

Boy Sophie's personality is showing. She plays with that stuffed flea. Scared up a rabbit in the back yard.  She scratches are on the inside of my painted front door. She loves a rub down with my damp towel after a shower. She was outside and I heard this scamper through the house and she had that chill on her from outside. She had a burst of energy looking for me.

New Years Day my house got colder and colder.  That darn furnace.  I just had my battery changed in my thermostat on our first cold day in November.  See previous blog.  I hate when things don't work.  Bob Bergman came just before 9AM and as soon as he got to the door, he had a call from his wife who couldn't start the car.  He left and came back shortly.  He unhinged the utility doors and examined the furnace.  He then blew through a couple of the rubber tubes and declared it working.  He rerouted the same tube in such a way that there would be little sediment.  I'm happy $90 later.  He told me that these Hi-Efficiency heaters need to be checked annually.  I mentioned that my water heater was in the budget because it has a date of 1995 on it and the neighbor had to change theirs in less than 8 years when the street work was done.  He told me that the older ones seem to last longer and I should let it ride.
This made me a little late for PowerWorks group strength exercise so I used the equipment and when the strength was done, I joined in with the yoga group.  I noticed a need to get a new sports bra while there.  Good excuse to shop so I went to Meijer and found something nice on the sale rack too.  Also found a nice and discounted lemon Merengue pie. Hey, I saw Doctor Sheedy there working out.   
The weather was nice so I knew I had to take advantage of that.  I put the Christmas up in the attic and trimmed the roses so I could put thorns in my fireplace.

Saturday I went to the Old Courthouse in St Louis for a French-American 12th Night Dance.  Here is the Program:
A young couple got engaged at the ball.  How sweet to follow the old tradition mentioned in the flyer.
I put together my own outfit for the occasion based on Jas Townsend.  I found skirts  (layered) from the Goodwill, I made the fichu from a thrift store nightie, and the blouse, shoes, cap I had.

I helped the dance caller lead a column for the grand march (since her other half usually does this and was busy).  I especially enjoyed watching the "Dance Couple"
https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=10204626724500804&set=o.660432490719333&type=2&theater&notif_t=video_processed

Afterward the volunteers went out to dinner at Sister Cities Cajun and BBQ restaurant.  I had a spicy salad and seafood gumbo.  Yum.  The heat from the spice made it linger in the mouth.

Sunday I read the first reading at Mass.
http://ccc.usccb.org/cccradio/NABPodcasts/15_01_04.mp3
The temperature dropped and it started snowing.  We only had a dusting compared to further north.  I fixed steak and barley risotto for me and my son.

 I know we can make small talk with our dogs.  Sean's small talk is funny.  He talks football to his dog.  "5 yard penalty Moe".  
This is going to be a cold week and they've already postponed this quarter's "Unaccompanied Burial Ceremony" at Camp Butler.  My little dog insisted on going for a walk in 9 degrees against my wishes but she did make it worthwhile.
Well in late1880's the record low was -22. 
 

1 comment:

Jodi Bennett said...

One can't really afford to lose a heater when the harsher climates are knocking on our door. That is of most certain. At least you've been able to track the problem early in the year, and prepped things up until the next climactic shifts. Thanks for sharing! All the best!

Jodi Bennett @ Marsh Heating

Blog Archive