Monday, January 12, 2015

My Week


Monday afternoon I attended a continuing education program at the Lincoln Home about Mary Lincoln.  I was at a parking meter and got ready to add a quarter and realized the meter said "FAIL".  There was a coin stuck inside and wouldn't budge.  I parked for free.  The lectures about Mary mentioned that she did she refer to herself as "Mary Todd Lincoln" like history does but her son, Robert, also had a wife named Mary.  We were shown a delicate cap that Mary made for her servant as a wedding gift.  It was a cap with very fine detailed slip stitches.  I was amazed.  I also learned that there was a form to document the training for renewing my certification.  After the presentation, the snow has begun.  We got about an inch.

I saw as cry for jumper cables on facebook and came to the aid but the truck didn't start.  Meanwhile I noticed corrosion on my own battery.  I took a wire brush to it but it could use professional attention next time I get my car serviced.

I renewed my membership with the NAI early to take advantage of a price increase.  Apparently I was a regular member instead of a volunteer/retiree so now that's fixed and I had a lower rate.  I think I paid too much because everyone else in this class at Lincoln Land was an employee and I was not.

I signed up for some continuing education later in the month for this certification.

Wednesday, after exercise, I did my thrift store shopping.  I found some exercise clothes and a Vera Bradly purse.  There was another lady who saw me looking at it and sad "that looks like a Vera Bradley bag".  I told her it was.  She said he full time job was listing things for sale on eBay.  So I wanted to see how much my $5.50 purse from Salvation Army was on ebay and search for similar items on ebay here are close for $40. This is it:


Thursday I helped out at the Old State Capitol.  There were only 2 visitors from O'Fallon.  It was so cold and they were looking for someplace close and indoors to do.  Justin was being interviewed about tourism in this weather.  Later, I asked him about the reception on Monday for the Governor's Inaugural at the Old State Capitol and that my last email said "more to come".  I had sent a follow-up email and left a phone message and got no response back.  He told me that they had to limit the volunteers to only four and apparently I didn't make the cut.  I was disappointed but tried to keep my head on straight.  He said that they had to get the names in  for  background checks so it would be too late now anyway.  Funny thing is that I attended the inaugural ball for our out-going governor four years ago by invite to a member of the Womens Overseas Service League and I brought my son with me. Deep down inside, I would be MORE HURT if invited out of pity instead of the fact that I'm a great volunteer.  So I am OK with with being stiffed.  So I decided to be positive and went to the Inauguration at the Prairie Capitol Convention Center only to learn I needed a ticket.  I was given a business card from a staffer who said it was sold out crowd but that I could view the inauguration from the Hilton overflow room and he'd email me tickets to the the Inaugural Concert by Toby Keith.
 
  I'm glad I went.  The speech was out standing and the pledge was given by Gold Star kids that made me smile.  I got home and emailed the staffer about the tickets and they were emailed to me right away.  I also noticed a picture on the Old State Capitol's facebook page with the following caption, "Today come tour the Old State Capitol Historic Site and meet and greet #IL Governor Bruce Rauner and First Lady Diana Rauner."
  
I thought it was a closed reception event by the way Justin was speaking to me about getting back ground checks and limitations to attend that afternoon reception.  I don't miss going to that reception after being stiffed.  I ended up being happy with the audience at the Hilton where we could openly comment on the speech and concert tickets to boot.

Thursday evening I went to our Catholic War Veterans meeting. We prayed and I needed that.  Thursday was really cold. 

So I did some power cleaning.  I filled my fireplace with thorns that would have been impossible to put in a yard waste bag.   That's a lot of trips in and out of the house however.  I even burned an old magazine rack that I never use.   I cleaned behind my stove and you can imagine that chore.   I dropped off some items at church for the food pantry and snapped this picture for my family who supports the Green Bay Packers.

Saturday I watched a movie on Youtube called "Against A Crooked Sky - Full Length Sexy Western Movies "Against A Crooked Sky" http://youtu.be/it0eUOMk658

In the evening I had dinner with my sons at Buffalo Wild Wings as it happened to be Sean's birtday on Sunday. We watched football.  When one game was over, we went to Doug and Christine's house to watch the next playoff with friends.  I tried a wine that was a blend of all the reds:  Merlot, Cabernet Sauvingnon and Sirah blend.  Later I had to see if there was a similar blend at County Market and found this:

Sunday morning I went to Mass at the cathedral with the Catholic War Veterans.  The bishop  presided this service and it was the Feast of the Baptism of Jesus.  I prayed to get over my pride for being turned down at the inaugurals as that wound was reopened by an email from a volunteer that got selected.   (which we now know turned out great)  On the way home I bought cheesecake and cream puffs at HyVee for Sean's birthday cake substitute.
I celebrated Sean's birthday watching football.  He was supporting the Cowboys and I the Packers.  We all know the rest of the story.  Moe and Sophie played in the back yard.  At least I think she was playing by the way she barked at him.  It was obvious Moe was doing the playful paws pat-down play bark but Sophie stood there still and showed teeth.  She'd get upset and chase with a vicious bark but it could be play.  I'm not sure and neither is Sean.  We just don't want Moe to go vicious on her because of their size difference.  Sean is very diligent about keeping Moe's behavior from turning pit bull.

Monday I woke to snow.  It was only and inch.  I noticed the neighbor at the end of the cul-de-sac had shoveled and realized I better to prevent a pack down and slip. 

Moral of the story for this week, don't sulk at home but act out in forward/positive ways that you can control and everything will work out in time.


No comments:

Blog Archive