Sunday, December 21, 2014

My Week

Sunday I had to take my dog to the emergency vet and on Monday I took Marley to our local veterinarian.   He suspects she may have a tumor in her spleen and spleen surgery has never been successful (only up to 30 days).  He took and X-ray and it was inconclusive on the spleen but it did show an enlarged heart. 

I went to the VFW meeting.  We have a new set of officers.  I liked the suggestion that the post make a pilgrimage to the tomb of our post's namesake, Lafore Lock.

Tuesday I went to a PGR mission for  Jacob Crosier.  This video is set to private so the linking may not work.  He was so young and had a baby son.  His widow just cried and cried.

 The temperature dropped as the funeral went on and extremely cold and windy by the time we got to Camp Butler.


One of the ladies at our Womens Overseas Service League gave me a bag of coupons for overseas commissaries that may redeem them up to 6 months past the expiration.  Locally she dropped them off at the County Market that no longer accepts them.  I say they had no one to pick them up and mail them overseas by the Family Support Group.   It's a good thing I went through the coupons she gave me because there was a coupon for Steak and Shake restaurant and the Dollar General Store.  These must be manufacturer coupons with less than 6 months past their expiration.
for more information:
http://www.grocerysavingtips.com/2013/07/us-air-force.html

Wednesday I made the difficult decision to euthanize Marley.   I was with her when she took her last breath.  Although medication was making more white blood cells to fight her infection, it will never be enough and would eventually take over all of her organs.  After paying the bill and a good cry, I got gas in my car and filled a low tire indicator, walked around Hobby Lobby for no good reason.  I came home and took an aspirin and a nap.  Now I can close the back sliding door that left free access through the doggie door, and other clean up things.  Most of all this was keeping me from my preparations for Christmas.  In the process, I moved the fire extinguisher in the kitchen and noticed the needle was in the red.  It's been sitting there waiting for a fire since I moved here.  It said to discard so I did.   In the evening time  I'd say "Let's go to Bed Marley" and she'll follow


Thursday we had a little snow.  I had my dental cleaning appointment right after an exercise session.  I mailed off my Christmas Cards and, for some dumb reason, I walked through the Sangamon County Animal Shelter's adoptable dogs.  One of the volunteers tried to steer me towards 2 dogs and there is a special $75 adoption fee through Christmas.
In the evening I went to the ABATE Christmas Party.
I was Christmas in a leather vest since its a motorcycle related party.

Friday afternoon I went to a workshop for interpreters in New Salem.  In the evening I went to the committee party at the Hilton.

Saturday I went to an 1864 Ball at the St Louis Old Courthouse.  Had to tease Larry Hackman about his aerobic version of the gallop but I can't turn down a dance partner.


Here's the promo on the news media:
http://turnerbrigade.org/ai1ec_event/20141220a/
 Afterward we had dinner at Guido's and I had Veal Genoviva.  That was soooo good.  Then I learned there's a ball on January 3 - 1764 Twelfth Afternoon Ball at the Old Courthouse from 12 to 4 p.m.: Dennis Stroughmatt et L'Esprit Creole concert featuring popular French holiday music of the early St. Louis settlers. Deborah Hyland will once again teach the most popular dances of the mid 18th century. Food Historian Suzanne Corbet will present treats common to St. Louis dinner tables during this particular holiday season. King's Cake will be served, and the King and Queen of Mardi Gras will be crowned.Photos from last year:
http://www.stltoday.com/gallery/news/twelfth-afternoon-ball-at-the-old-courthouse/collection_f985e29f-dbef-59fa-af24-cc90c128fd27.html#7


Here is a video of the Grand March from Facebook:


https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=897315990309216&set=vb.100000924716240&type=2&theater
I am in the row with the males because I was coupled with a young lady (in modern day attire with a knit cap with pig tails) for the Grand March.  Other dances I could mess up the hand and right from left.

Sunday I went to Mass and was a Eucharistic Minister.  I stayed to help clean the chalices and setup for the next Mass.  I made a few oatmeal cookies out of envy/guilt of seeing all the cookies left at church for our priest.  All the candles were lit on the Advent Wreath.  It helps to light the shortest day of the year.

Well missing my dog seems to happen in little ways:  Seeing my son's dog, picking a little white hair off my clothes, our walks, or just knowing she was laying by my side.  I got a card from my reenacting friends.  I've been looking for my next companion. 


Started to thaw that 17lb turkey for Christmas.  That's a little better than 5lbs per person at my table.  Have a Merry Christmas!

No comments:

Blog Archive