Monday, August 5, 2013

My Week

Tuesday night at the tomb ceremony, I brought a flat Capt Stella to photograph for our lady soldiers.

Wednesday I mowed the yard and when I backed the riding mower on the side of the house to mow forward, Marley pulled in front to take a dump where no tractor can avoid.  I guess ya had to be there...well on the other hand...maybe not.

Thursday I got my new glasses without the rim around the lens.  Looks just a little less obvious but not as obvious as contact lens.  They cost more but are the "Cadillac" of the show room.  They are very light.  In the evening, my son suggested we go out for dinner and I suggested Bike Night at Quaker Steak and Lube because I knew I'd see friends there.  I guess he was board.

Saturday morning I fixed myself a strawberry, gluten free, pancake.  The first one I burned.  I threw the pan out too.  I guess I need coated cookware.

I helped at the Purple Heart Viola Days table at County Market.  My son did the shift right after mine. After my shift, I did my own shopping with those valuable County Market coupons that come in the mail flier.  To me it's more like a scavenger hunt.  After I checked out, the checker told me that next time, this was the express lane.  Opps!  Express used to be on the other end.  I thanked her for being polite about it.


I watched  a movie called "The Ballad of Lucy Whipple",  I like good historical flicks.  Their period dress was outstanding.  I remember when Lucy asked her mom "why?" after her brother Buford died.  Her mother replied, "When you see God, then you can ask Him?" 

My son took me shopping to get a new cell phone.  I have one of the cheapest plans but my phone audio is getting worse.  He took me to Best Buy and I got an Alcatel871a phone for $29 and swapped my sim card.  Not all phone numbers transferred.  At least the calls that I had stored as "Go Away" and "Spam" transferred to warn me.  I miss my Rocky Horror ring tone that I had purchased years ago.

I went to the church picnic by the lake.  Mass was held before the picnic which I did not attend since I have to go in the morning as being my turn to read the first reading.  I also read a change in the bulletin online before hand so that makes me the first under the new plan:
The role of Deacon as a Minister of the Gospel
One of the principal roles of the deacon at Mass is to proclaim the Gospel. In fact, he is the principal minister of the Gospel, even before the priest. As such, it is appropriate for the deacon to carry the Book of the Gospels in the procession during the Entrance Rite.
Readers who proclaim the first and/or second reading may follow the deacon in the procession. Deacon Frank will begin carrying the Book of the Gospel on the first weekend of August. In his absence, one of the readers will carry it in procession.

After Mass, our new priest was greeting people at the back of the church.  He thanked me for being such a good reader.  The reading was from Ecclesiastes.  Part of this hit home with how busy I was at work this past week:  "All their days their work is grief and pain; even at night their minds do not rest. This too is meaningless."


At least the weather was better than last year and Lake Springfield did not dry bottom out.  Ant season has ended, and mosquito season is upon us.  I saw a cardinal chase a cicada.

In the afternoon I attended a birthday party and silent auction for 10 year old Susan Baird who is gravely ill.  There were a lot of people and even princesses which she likes.  Poor Susan couldn't make it.  Her pain level went to 9 and was helicoptered back to St Louis hospital.  She has a website:
http://www.goteamsusan.org/
Guests at her party were getting photographed for an album.  Here's mine.

I made a sash for the upcoming "Veteran of the Month" proclamation next Sunday.  I also sewed some neck coolers for the troops.

My son will be closing on a house on Thursday so it will be a busy week.  He does want to paint the pink bedroom which is unsuited for a young man.  That could be a delay as well as the state fair kick off parade Friday evening.  We are involved in helping with the beer sales on Friday.  We were so relieved that a 2 week notice was accepted on his apartment rather than 30 days.  He expected to have to pay for August.  His apartment was already rented out and was told he didn't have to pay for August.  That's a relief.  He'll need it for his new house.





No comments:

Blog Archive