Wednesday, August 22, 2012

My Week

As I walk the dogs, we often meet other dogs like Jackson the boxer and Foster the scottie.  As I walk along the wooden fence there is Molly the collie whom I touched through the slats of a wooden fence.  Lately, Molly hasn't come to the fence.  Instead, there is noisy pit pull running along the fence as I go by.  Peering through the slats, I can see Molly in the background too intimidated by the pit bull to come by and greet me and my dogs now.  I feel so bad for Molly because I'm sure she is having other issues beside what I see.

Well Wednesday had been Aug 15th and a Holy Day for the Assumption of Mary.  I decided to attend Mass during my lunch at the downtown cathedral.  Although it is very beautiful, the size makes the acoustics horrible.  My coworker, Michael, asked to come along.  You see, he feels he may be Catholic because he was baptized and given the last rites 3 times as a premature baby at Ravenswood Hospital with a subsequent adoption.  I explained the protocol.  He received a blessing during communion and afterward said he felt peaceful being there.  I'm glad I brought him.  Later he learned that his baptism was given by his grandmother under emergency circumstances and he would have been raised Catholic.  Now that he knows this, he wishes to honor his biological family's wish.  I told him he would need a sponsor.  He asked me.

Thursday we had a much needed rain.  I watched from my office window as the cigarette butts thrown into the street made wash line.  In the evening I went to an ABATE meeting.  I mentioned Wreaths Across America on Dec 15th and our upcoming poker run to support the event.


Friday I took off of work half a day so I could rest up before reporting for work at the beer booth at the state fair.  The morning was real busy too with technical difficulties.  Well I did take a brief nap before going to the fairgrounds. I got there early enough to get my free yardstick courtesy of the Department of Insurance.  I got my choice work assignment at Ethnic Village in the State Fair. Since I had a free pass I got there a little early to walk around and had my picture taken with the Oscar Meyer Wiener Mobile and had a free sample. No free samples of beer however.  


Saturday I did sleep in.  I cleared the kitchen sink and mopped floors.  Then got real hungry and everything I had to cook seemed unappealing so I hopped on the bike and went to Hardees for a turkey burger.  I thought it was unusual to have sweet pickle slices rather than dill on my burger.  My new bonnet that I got on eBay arrived.


It's nicely made but I'll need to put a comb of some sort in it so that it won't slide around.

It's going to be a very busy week:
Sunday ~ Catholic War Veterans Mass
Monday ~ VFW meeting
Tuesday ~ appointment at Nisson, Retreat at the Lincoln Tomb
Wednesday ~ Dance lessons
Thursday ~ Rocky Horror Picture Show at SIUE
Friday ~
Saturday ~ Breakfast fund raiser, Red Knights meeting, OSC, Rocky Mountain Oysters at the VFW

I picked up a Civil War style wood chair for the reenactments that folds up similar to this but without the canvas at a yard sale for $5.  She said there were 3 others like it at her mothers house she could get for me next weekend.
 

I rented the movie, Iron Lady.  There were so many flash backs and flash forwards in time that I got confused.  In addition she had dementia later in life so I think she was talking to the ghost of her husband.  I got really lost.

Then we watched the Hunger Games.  That movie reminded me of the plot from the 1973 movie, Soilent Green.

I've been having a problem with the power lock on my car so I took it to Nissan.
I needed a new battery


No comments:

Blog Archive