Wednesday, August 1, 2012

My Week

Thursday I went to a volunteer appreciation event at the Vachel Lindsey home. Abraham and Mary was there and so were the Lincoln Troubadours.  We were invited for an ice cream social but I noticed they were charging for ice cream.  That's because the social was open to  tourists.  Volunteers didn't have to buy ice cream.

Well a few weeks ago, I participated in the American Legion Riders Legacy poker run on one of the hottest days. Last Saturday, this ride aired on TV's Cruizin' Illinois. I'm interviewed at about the one minute mark.
 http://www.wics.com/citv/players/clips/vid_130.shtml

Friday, Michael brought in super size birthday cookie to share at work for his birthday on Saturday. Way rich. After work, I attended a PGR flag line for a WW2 veteran in Virden after work. I left 15 minutes before the end of the visitation as it was starting to get dark and I had sunglasses.

Saturday I volunteered at the Old State Capitol.  Next to our Civil War medical encampment days in June, we had the largest turn out.  I gave 2 tours and I really enjoyed the girl scouts because I was a scout myself.  I encouraged the girls to join the Air Force when they grow up.  I even got to meet President Lincoln in his summer linen frock.  Yes, I had to stand on a step to square the picture off a bit.  On the way home from the Old State Capitol, I stopped at Schnucks to get a bottle of Absolute Vodka for a coworker because she hinted....darn near complained ...that her kids problems would make her birthday seem so unimportant.    I didn't want her to get skunked of her one and only desire for her birthday. And the attention I got in Shnucks in my period costume after volunteer duty at the Old State Capitol like this.  She wasn't home so I slipped the bottle in the door.  She didn't know who left it.  I was the vodka fairy. 


Last Friday, my coworker was somewhat dissolutioned by her family leaning on her so close to her birthday and all she said she wanted was a bottle of Vodka.  She must have forgot that she mentioned this to me because I slipped a bottle of Absolute in her doorway on Saturday.

 Sunday I went to church.  I had planned to attend the ABATE Downed Rider Benefit in Athens  but between a headache and my son coming over to do laundry I opted for quality time at home. 
After he left, I put a button hole in a civil war skirt and hemmed it up for my height.

Tuesday evening after work I visited Frank Farley at Memorial Medical Hospital.  He belongs to the VFW and is a WW2 veteran.  He's been going down hill in health and I'm afraid he'll never go home to living alone and will now need assisted living.  He asked about the place I stayed when I had my motorcycle accident.  I told them that the therapy was very good but if you need help, expect long delays after ringing the buzzer.


Frank Farley and Me
 
After leaving him I stopped to get some chicken strips at Burger King.  I was admiring the bacon topped ice cream sundae but not this time.  I made it over to the Lincoln Tomb for the retreat ceremony.  Someone from Ohio was presented the US flag that had flown over the tomb the week before.  I had worn my new day dress which is more fitting for me after having it shortened.  I remembered everything but couldn't find my boots.  Fortunately my dress was long enough to cover my sandals.  How farby I felt.



The Lincoln Tomb
On the way home, I saw that they were harvesting corn!  Heck this is early.  You would think it was October.
I attended a meeting for state employees’ union. The governor plans to put everyone back 2 pay grades while all the legislators got an 11% increase last year. It’s going to get ugly.

After work I stopped by to get my Chic-Fil-A.

No comments:

Blog Archive