Monday, April 5, 2021

My week

 

Tuesday evening I went to practice at 7PM for the upcoming obedience trials in June.  I then went to Rochester for rat practice only to be informed that I wasn't on the schedule.  That's a bit disappointing since I thought I was before the upcoming Barn Hunt trials this weekend.  Another that came from far away Bloomington came to practice in the time slot that I had originally requested but mis-read the email appointment.

 Wednesday I went to agility practice in Mechanicsburg at 11AM and agility practice at Deb’s in Rochester .  There were 4 of us students (all masked in a big barn/shed designed for agility).  Deb said that when we are all fully vaccinated we won’t have to wear masks.  One was double masked.  I get the feeling that those of us that chose not to take this experimental vaccine (not approved by the FDC) will become the new lepers of society. 

I learned that Don Butler from our AmVets post had died the day before by a mutual friend who pulled over to tell me when he saw me walking the dogs.

For April Fools Day, I found a "shed" (antler) while walking my dogs this morning. I put it in my garden like my sister said along with my snake and painted rocks. Now I understand about boasting when a shed is found!

I went to Holy Thursday Mass.  I am really moved by this service despite being masked.  Last year we couldn't celebrate Maunday Thursday at all.  There was no washing of the feet this year.

Friday our Powerworks Masters wore our red shirts.

At 1PM, I met with the CWV to pick 6 artwork posters for an Easter coloring contest to go forward for national CWV poster contest.  

I walked the girls to where I saw a photo opportunity last year.  Sure enough, the same house decorated.  I put my bunny ears on the dogs, Amber and Sophie.

 

Catholic War Veterans Valentine’s Day Poster Contest winners. The top 3 were all from Illinois.

 

Kaylin Hartwick of St John The Evangelists School in Carollton won First Place in the Valentine Poster Contest.  Presentation of the check by Bishop McNicolas Post members on March 30, 2021.  Pizza and drinks were provided for her class 












 

2d place winner of the Valentine Poster Contest went to Clara Hyatt of St Anthony’s School in Effingham, IL. She was presented a check for $75 by members of the CWV post 1916 on March 29, 2021.  Cup cakes and drinks were provided for the grade school

 

 

3rd place award went to Delilah Jones of Christ the King school in Springfield, IL with a $50 check presentation on March 31, 2021.

 

 


Early Saturday morning I took Amber to Barn Hunt at Purina Farms near Eureka, Mo and brought Sophie along.  She did not find the rat on two trials on Saturday nor Sunday.
We went inside the Purina Area and had a photo taken in the lounge.  There was some practice going on so the doors were open.
 Amber is not used to hotel living.  She kept woofing.  I thought she felt that the the noises of people walking in the hall were invading our territory.  I brought the kennel in from the car to make her feel more secure.  I went to Easter Eve services at Sacred Heart Church in Eureka.  It was the best service ever.  Andrew was baptized and three others were confirmed and received First Communion.  I don't hear very well but the priest was a ventriloquist at the end of Mass he pulled out a puppet to discuss Easter eggs.  

Amber failed her 5th attempt at indicating a rat in the Barn Hunt at Purina Farms.  In fact it was so bad on Sunday morning that she was the only fail on the roster.   I have a new phrase is "It's the critter not the litter".


Photos of all the dogs are listed here:  https://cathypullian.smugmug.com/Barn-Hunt-4321/
As far as I'm concerned, I took my dogs to Six Flags since that's where the hotel was located near.  Amber had a good time at Six Flags.  In fact, the hotel was full of visitors for Six Flags weekend.  After I got back from Mass Saturday night, the parking lot was full except for one space.  When I pulled into that slot, I saw why.  It said reserved for veteran who served.
When I got home about 1PM, my sons were waiting for me.  They turned over the soil in my garden.  That was really appreciated.  They brought and prepared a nice Easter dinner with prime rib.  I gave them a chocolate egg and a vial of Easter Holy Water from the church in Missouri .  We watched the comedy of Dave Chapelle. I never saw Alan laugh so much.

 I was thinking of getting Amber a pet but this is not what I have in mind. 

You can imagine the pet I have in mind.  So the day after our 5th failed attempt to find a rat in Barn Hunt sports, I come home from exercise class to find a mouse in my trap from under the porch.  It was stuck by just the leg so I let Amber get over her fear of it's movement.  After awhile, she seemed to enjoy it and her natural terrier ratting instinct came back.  

Now I've been warned that dogs know the difference between the odor of a rat and a mouse but this is a stepping stone.  She seemed to realize the scent comes with movement.  God will provide a ram stuck in the bush for the holocaust in the form of a trapped mouse.    While Amber was playing with her new hobby, I dug up a dandelion next to my asparagus and saw the first spear of the season.
I'm now working on a video for Trick Champion.  It seems a bit easy.



No comments:

Blog Archive