Monday, January 22, 2018

My week

Normally I go to a Lincoln Monument Association meeting on third Thursdays' but that organization is folding allowing me to attend the Civil War Roundtable.  Speaker's topic was Nez Perce.

Friday morning I helped remove the wreaths at Camp Butler National Cemetery.
I could have claimed that I cleared all of section N on my own but I was slowing down from fatigue.  Alas, three came to help me with the little bit left in that section since they had completed an adjacent section together.  Afterward I visited Frank's grave and stomped on my grave spot.

Friday evening I helped with the cashier for our American Legion Fish Fry.  Some how, I had a bone stuck in my throat.  I was told to eat bread to dislodge it.  I gagged so hard that some bread came out my nose.  I think that's what caused my sinus drip 2 days later. 

Saturday morning I went to our workshop for our Soldiers Aid Society.  We learned ribbon work.
notice that this box patter can be done on fabric as well.


 Rose Connolly and Stephanie Thomas displaying the Soldiers Aid Society's new Temperance banner to be unveiled at the St. Patrick's Day parade. We're wondering how many of the people who are drinking at the bars along the route even know what temperance means.
After the workshop we broke for lunch.  Some of us went to cafe Moxo and others went to the Women's March at the capitol.  I am sorry but I felt offended by the pussy hat that was worn during our meeting. During the meeting I was assigned a speaking presentation on May 26 on Civil War Mourning and Widows and Orphans in Jacksonville.  So I started working on that outline.

After I came home, walked the dog, went to Walgreens for fever blister remedy, I decided to go see some friends at the state ABATE meeting on the north side of town.  Here I am shown with Donna and Gene Ely from Edwardsville whom I worked with.

Here I am with Dave Meyers from Mattoon, IL who was on the Lincoln Circuit Ride some years ago.

So it's been a busy day.
Sunday morning the weather was nice so I wanted to wear a dress.  I have this dress that is so comfortable except for the metallic thread itching.  Now I had this brown velvet remnant that would do perfectly.  You wouldn't think this was going to be as difficult as it had been.  First I had trim to remove (easy).  I cut the velvet to length.  I sewed one side and needed to hand sew the other side. That's when the trouble began.  I threaded the machine wrong and had a rats nest of thread to remove and restart.  Then the hand sewing.  I lost the thread from the eye of the needle 4 times.  Once the needle fell on the floor and my effort to get it ended up finding it in my bare foot.  Well...it is better.

Monday I took Sophie to Regency Care Center for a nice visit.  Stopped at Aldi on the way back for a few things.   I had a headache almost all day.  So I did laundry and took a long nap.  Now to stay up.  I watched the new series "The Alienist" on TBS.

No comments:

Blog Archive