Monday, January 1, 2018

My Week

Brr! Mother nature went from mild December to frigid December and New Year.  Sophie has been spoiled with 4 walks a day but she is not as bothered by the cold as much as this person on the end of the leash.  I put film over my window and lit the fireplace.  New Year's morning I woke to -12.

I got a new pair of expensive,  custom, titanium glasses that cost $777.  They are titanium like my sacrum.  Now to have my prescription put in my reenacting glasses.

Wednesday morning I had senior strength followed by senior zumba.  In the evening I went to hot yoga but it was considered intermediate.  My opinion:  this was more advanced than intermediate but I did what I could.  In the end for relaxation, the lights were dimmed and a cool rock was placed on our forehead as we lay there. Then we were misted with water.

Saturday morning I took Sophie around the block in single digit temperatures.  I noticed an iPhone in one of the driveway entrances and asked the homeowner about it.  It did not belong to him.  I brought it home hoping to find the owner. I charged the phone and found the owner's mom and dad in the contacts and called and left messages.  Later I was able to meet the father at the County Market.  I did my good deed for the Day.

In the afternoon I went to a little holiday gathering at the home of Mary and Richard.  On the way home, I saw 3 coyotes cross the road in the dusk.

Sunday Clara Barton was mentioned in the sermon at Mass regarding being questioned about her treatment in the past. Clara replied that she'd forgotten about it.  In the evening I was invited to a not-so-late New Years Eve party with  Liz and Chris. Theme was German New Years Party so my potato salad was requested.  I think that's the only thing I know passed down.  Liz thinks I can speak German sometimes.  On the way home (9:30ish) my car read a temperature of -1.  Temperature went down from there. 

New Years Day I was a reader at Mass. Normally Jan 1 is a Holy Day of Obligation but because it was a Monday it was exempted.  Father told of his New Year's eve with his sister and family singing , 'Auld Lang Syne' popularized by Robert Burns.  Fr said he was up at least until 7:30.  We had a simple blessing.  I crimped my hair to reduce the static.  No surprise here...several record lows were set this morning making this New Year's Day one of the coldest ever. New records were set in Peoria, Lincoln & Champaign with lows plummeting to -16°, -15° & -15° respectively. A record was tied in Springfield as lows dipped down to -13

I've been trying on an outfit for next week's 12th Night Ball in St Louis's Old Courthouse.  The bodice is a little tight so it may gap. I need to loose weight.I replace the hook at the waist because it came bent out of shape and used one of those heavy duty black waist hooks. I like that. I may want to add one like it at the bust. I like the fabric but it is well used. few holes in apron. External side pocket and cap I already had.
 I've had the cap and side pocket so the rest is new.  There is a tear in the apron near the waist band that I may have to patch but not right away.

I also got buckle shoes that were extremely worn and in the shoe repair shop but they won't be ready until Jan 9.  The ball is Jan 6. 
For summer, this linen smock will close by pin.  This still needs the scarf which is not shown.
Carol had sent me a few links to help my portrayal.  This one is Anatomy of a Gown.
http://www.history.org/history/clothing/women/anatomy.cfm

This site shows rag ties to help fill gaps in the bodice
http://makinghistorynow.com/2014/12/meet-our-historic-trade-interns/



No comments:

Blog Archive