Sunday, March 5, 2017

My Week

Monday I didn't leave the house.  Before I would have at least gone to exercise but I've put that on Hiatus with my back problem.
Tuesday I put on my uniform and headed to the state capitol for the Desert Storm Remembrance.  I was part of the living history group from the branches of service that laid a rose for the fallen.  Members of many of the veterans organizations were present and of course, I belong to most of these.  It was an honor.  Here are links to the news:
http://wtax.com/news/101101-capitol-remembers-operation-desert-storm/
Desert Storm ended 26 years ago today. 17 Illinois service members who died are being remembered at the Illinois State Capitol -
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9W3fLxtjKys
Here is the program (my name among the Living Historians)


 Clipped from the newspaper.  Four branches of the service rotated placing a rose for the 17 fallen.

TV news:
http://www.wandtv.com/clip/13138789/desert-storm-service-members-remembered
Full video here and you can see me around around 25 min in:
http://khqa.com/news/state/watch-illinois-honors-service-members-killed-in-desert-storm
VFW News:
http://vfwil.org/ViewNewsletter.asp?FileID=610

Here is the photo that was later posted in the IL AMVETS news:

Before going to reflections, I walked Sophie and came across my postman.  He pointed out a ream of yard waste bags in the middle of Park Ave that probably fell off a truck and asked me if I was interested.  I said sure but I was not going to carry them on my way out.  He then offered to put them in his truck and drop them off at my forthcoming address.  After my Therapy Dog visit, there they were by my mailbox.  How sweet!

In the evening I went to a presentation on reenacting at the ILES House but I wriggled in my chair in pain.  I couldn't wait to get home.

Wednesday morning, I went to Mass and received ashes.  Fr John had his ashes placed on the crown of his head and after Mass he explained it was a Toncha like the monks who shave the crown of the head.  I tried to google this word and couldn't find it.  So I changed the search terms and believe I misheard the word.  It may have been tonsure.  There was also a wheel barrel of rocks in the vestibule to take a rock home for Lent. I don't need a rock.  I have a few I'd like to be rid of from the original rock landscape.
I picked up a loaner medical toilet seat riser and then went to lunch with Micheal at County Market.  In the evening I went to our Legion Riders meeting and our president was late. The same president of our Interveterans Council and he forgot our last meeting. As I left, I felt another pinched nerve.  Murf remarked "but it feels so good when it stops".
Thursday, just after midnight, I was sleepless and in extreme pain. I tried to change positions and nothing relieved me of the pain.  Standing with a walker I borrowed was the least painful but that's not feasible for hours when I should be sleeping.  From 3AM to 7AM I had little shut eye and a lot of tears.  I got a little light rest in the rocking chair with a strait and firm back.  By 7:30 I called the after hours number at the orthopedic center where my next appointment would be.  I knew that the emergency room could not have done anything for my pain except perhaps a shot.  Besides, I didn't feel capable to drive either.

I got a call returned around 9:30AM and the Tuesday, March 7th, appointment was moved up for the following day on Friday at 10AM.  Well, the nurse mentioned a CAT scan prior to that appointment so do that first and she'd get Tricare approval working on it.

I was going to pick up a walker later that day that I found on Facebook's "For Sale In Chatham" but coaxed the seller into a home delivery since I was still in pain.  So here's my new wheels.  I'm thankful the seller delivered it.
The new wheels got flags lest I loose my reputation.

Some point later, the pain went to what I'd refer to as "every day pain".  I caught up on some sleep.  After I got up from a nap on the couch with knees bent to help make up for last night. That felt a bit better.  By that I mean I could stop crying.  The value of the the pain scale that used to record a 10 has changed.

Then I got a warning about Tramadol
http://www.itv.com/news/utv/update/2016-10-06/prescription-painkiller-claiming-more-lives-than-any-other-drug/ 
I prepared the following letter so I would know what to tell the doctor:
March 2, 2017
Dear Dr Williams
I have had a run of what I call “nothing appointments” because nothing directly fixes my problem but they all lead to a goal. Meanwhile, I’m tortured with pain. Sure it’s Lent but this sacrifice has been assigned to me. Dr Sheedy referred me to Dr. Watson who referred me to Dr Williams so from my point of view it is slow and difficult.
Dr Watson took and x-ray (Feb 9) and MRI (Feb 16) and when I thought I’d return for a relieving injection (Feb 23), I instead got a referral for a surgical consult 2 weeks later (Mar 7). Although Dr. Watson did save me 3 days in the waiting line for an appointment with a surgeon because the Mar 7th appointment was waiting at the desk when I was told to get an appointment with Dr. Williams or Dr. VanFleet. The clerk said I had already been given an appointment that I was not aware of. Still seems like a long time for constant and fluctuating pain spells. The pain went all the way down my legs.
Most of the time I put on a good front but Thursday I was in tears and rocking back and forth. I had little sleep since midnight and wiggled out of bed about 3:30. I have a bed rail, cane, walker and toilet extension. I had difficulty dressing and pulling up my pajama bottoms. I almost called an ambulance but tried to tough it out till daytime when I called orthopedic center about 7:30 in tears.
I appreciate your nurse moving this appointment up.

The prednisone that Dr. Sheedy assigned had run out weeks ago. The tramadol (which I’m concerned about side affects), which I’ve used conservatively, is now almost gone. Mar 2d I took 2 pills since I was in tears and couldn’t sleep. Some of the questions I have:
*What about the full moon on surgery.
http://www.moongiant.com/Full_Moon_New_Moon_Calendar.php
*hospital stay
*recovery time and walker
*exercise and physical therapy.
*Will I need a handicap-parking placard?
*Will back surgery make me taller?
I write this story down so that I can remember the timeline. I also worry because I’m widowed and live alone with one son in Springfield. No pain ~ No Gain has evolved to No Pain ~ No Pain.
Rosemary Connolly, A Patient patient.
Friday I had a cat scan and then waited with all the other cripples in the waiting area.  We are issued buzzers like you get at the big restaurants to be called.  I was seen by the nurse, then the physicians assistant and then the surgeon and some student with him.  It's quite emotional. My Tuesday appoint moved to Friday (today) and I still have a Tuesday morning appointment. I met Dr William's nurse whom I spoke with on the phone yesterday. Then I met a physician's assistant, who explained the images and options (like I hadn't been doing behavior modifications already when I asked what he meant), Then Dr Williams and a student perhaps with him. He said surgery will require six screws and some rods. I asked "cadaver?" Reply: "some".  He had me take my shoes off and tested the strength in my big toe forward and back.  Then said something to his assistant as if a training term was observed.  Dr Williams didn't see anyway around it. I did get a little emotional. That could have been fear of surgery but a little bit of happy tears knowing that this will make me better and there's relief from pain in my future.  I also learned this problem is more common with petite, Caucasian women. Go figure. 
It will could be 2 days in the hospital. I asked how long the surgery lasts and it would be 3 hours.  I will not get a handicap placard because he wants me walking.  No pain killer pills because he doesn't want me to build up an immunity prior to surgery.  Oh the suffering.  I took this picture of the monitor. 
The lower left show bulging.  The upper right shows my butt on the table and the dark dot in the middle is closed off fluid which should show a white spinal cord in the middle but there's only a pin size white dot (had I shown the time lapse scroll thru the spine, it shows further above this).  The Dr. could move/zoom all the was down the sliced torso (like a magician that slices the lady in the box in half) and as the camera went down to the lumbar the white spinal nerve got smaller and smaller till it seemed to disappear.  The nerve is surrounded by fluid for wiggle room and there is little.
I was given a brochure on the procedure to read. Mostly it's about the terms used like spinal decompression and spinal fusion.  I seem to be learning more from a lady who had back surgery in November whom I know from Powerworks.  Well if all this seems to be going over your head, imagine how I feel.

I did order this pet stroller on ebay that I can use as a walker partner for Sophie.  I figure there may be less bending over and plus I can use it as a brace/walker.

I could still take her for a walk along side this and use this to hold on to instead of a cane.  It would make me look less crippled and serve a function now and in the future too.

Saturday, my sister scolded me for vacuuming.  I'm looking for help.  I tried to clean my stove and the whole top half where the knobs are fell off.  It works but I may as well get a new stove.  I will have it delivered on Wednesday if I don't have surgery first. With all the problems, I left the store and forgot to ask for my discount so I went back and the clerk put $98 back on my credit card. Funny thing is that I usually go to Lowes for my discount even on small purchases. Here is a purchase that made a difference in that 10% discount.

With everything going wrong, I figure I better stop procrastinating on lining that coffin in my back family room. Funny thing is I'm working harder and should be taking it easy.  I finished lining this coffin that I bought in Oct 2015.  Inside I'll keep linens and my final arrangements.  

It had big nails protruding on the inside so any lining would be snagged.  I then realized my home siding that was removed for the sun room was the perfect height to cover up for those big nails so I sewed a sleeve for them out of thrift store satin table cloths and put the pad that I made inside.  Almost professional.  It could use a little pillow.  Do you think I should do something about the window or let the US flag and pall take care of that?  It has character you know.

I'm up to episode 9 on Versallies on Netflix. 
Sunday I went to Mass (with my cane).  Sr Judy added me to the prayer line.  After church I stopped by the office and I dropped off my car insurance in the nearby mail slot and got groceries at County Market.  For the store not being so crowded, it's ironic the two isles I needed had people chit chatting where I needed to be.  Oh well, not a total problem.
I shall pick up where I left off publishing this blog this Sunday evening.  I hope to have 2 therapy dog visits on Monday but visits will be cut off too.


No comments:

Blog Archive