Sunday, March 12, 2017

My Week

Monday I signed a consent for surgery after being told I needed it within 2 months.  When asked, I replied "next week?".  He didn't say yes or no but nod.  So I assumed that it would be so.  Friday I called around 2:30 to find out that the nurse was delayed because she had a sick day but that she'd call before the end of the day.  She called around 5PM.  I was notified that my back surgery is tentatively scheduled for April 22d.  She said that was the soonest they good get me in.   I look at my calendar and that's a Saturday!  Maybe, just maybe, I am not as bad as the doctor said I was because of this 7 week wait.  I just need to suck it up more.  Feels like a year away when I suffer daily.  I'm told not to do anything that hurts.  I wonder if that includes looking up in the sky at birds and sneezing.  

Child proof caps are no match for me.


Monday I met at McDonalds with the lady who had back surgery in November and told me about her recovery process. Then I had two therapy dog visits and a walk. I'm tired. Sophie was sung to at the nursing home.  Later, the activity Dir at St John's told me about some of the other therapy dogs.  She said they have another King Charles spaniel but the handler doesn't put it on laps like Sophie. Others dogs are all full size.  I let patients hold Sophie.  I'm just there to supervise so no harm is done on either side.   I don't see the point of having patients pet a dog while the owner holds the dog.

I scanned this page from the Illinois VFW News for March where my picture is shown from last week's ceremony.
Tuesday, I had an 8:50 appointment with Dr Williams.  This time my son came with me.  Dr Williams and his nurse wanted to know if I had any questions and if my son had seen the pictures from the MRI.  He did.  I explained that I read the pamphlet but got more information from a friend who recently had the surgery in November but on a waistline vertebrae.  Dr Williams was glad that I did because he knew  that I understood it was not going to be an easy recovery.  He did however say the my MRI showed my condition is worse than hers and he wasn't even familiar with her case. I think he meant that anything she told me, that my recovery will be more difficult.  He said it should be done soon within the next 2 months.  My reply "next week?" and so the arrangements are in the works.  He ordered an EKG which I got at my local clinic.  Also on the doctor's wish list was a bone density but I had one within the last year so that is being requested to be pulled up.  I want to get this long recovery process on the roll.  It's inevitable.

I have interviewed a cleaning lady whom I hope will fit me in before and after surgery.

I did have an appointment for my taxes on Mar 23d but explained the extenuating circumstances and dropped them off instead.  Vicki said she'd try to get to them in her spare time. 

My dog stroller arrived on Tuesday.  I put the wheels on it.  It seemed uneven at first so I didn't take it on the visit on Tuesday but I did on Thursday.  It rolled so bad.  I think it's junk.

Wednesday got a new stove delivered.


Saturday I tried to register the SN online.  It's not on book. The book said to get it off the stove. I pulled it out of the wall...nothing. I looked inside the oven...nothing. Then I looked on the bottom storage drawer there it was on the inside. Lot of crawling around for someone with a bad back.

I sold an old drum that I had in the house and bought some scrubs at the Goodwill with pockets to keep my phone handy while I recuperate.   I almost forgot about our AMVETS meeting until my son reminded me about the agenda.

Thursday evening I went to our Catholic War Veterans meeting and it was a painful evening.  Despite finding a soft seat chair, I grimaced and wiggled around in my seat looking for comfort. I tried to keep a straight face but it showed.

Before I got the call about my surgery that I was waiting for, I had a call from the nursing home inquiring about the April calendar therapy dog visits...that's not the call I was waiting for.  Then I got a call from my primary care doctor's office wanting to change my July appointment by one day...that's not the call I was waiting for either.  The call came about 5PM which is mentioned at the beginning.

I went to our church's OWLS pot luck (older wiser lovable seniors).  I brought my noodles and sauerkraut dish (and a few other secret ingredients).  I picked up our new church directory that had our picture taken in it from last October.  It's nice to put names with the faces in church.

Sunday I got  up with my body clock because of daylight savings time (formerly 6am).   I went to Mass with the Catholic War Veterans at the 10:30 Mass.  I usually attend 8AM Mass.  There's a little bigger crowd at the later service.  Afterward we went out for lunch.  I asked my son to put the Christmas decorations up in the attic.  I had tried to climb the ladder but after 4 steps, I deemed it unsafe.  My son helped when he came over.
In the evening I went to church for the "Table Prayer".  It's like a bread and soup meal spaced by conversation and song in ritual pattern.
Here is the song that was sung




Here is the choir ensemble


 The pastor has been having us carry a stone for Lent that we could take from the wheel barrel in church.  Similar to a pet rock.  There's a metaphor for the stone story here:
http://www.johndavies.org/sermons/nm_11_03_09.html
We were asked to dip the stone in the fountain and carry it with us during Lent as a reminder of something....I forget.  I didn't take one since I have so many rocks in my yard already left from river rock landscaping that let weeds grow through.


I said to my Google Home, "hey google, my dog's name is Sophie" She said "Ok, I'll remember that". Then I tested it.  Google Home knows my dog's name. 

I close this with an overnight snow in the forecast.  Ug!  9 days til spring.

No comments:

Blog Archive