Tuesday, October 27, 2015

My Week

Last week's blog I discussed the pilgrimage to the tomb of Lafore Lock whom our VFW post is named after.  I was pleased to learn that our VFW post had replaced the flag and painted the pole from last Sunday's pilgrimage to the tomb of Lafore Lock.

Tuesday I tried to knock out a few chores.  One of which was stretching the life of my back porch with paint.  The wood is so bad that it is warped beyond reattaching.  Every year I try to do a fix of the house so a new sun room or porch may be in store for next year. 
This year's home improvements already included painting the kitchen (which I'd prefer a remodeling job for $16K), closet doors, and a water heater.  So I think the quota for home improvements of 2015 is accomplished.  I asked RP Lumber if they would cut a replacement except they wouldn't do the notch needed for the railing post.

Wednesday evening I was so tired. I was so excited about riding that I tossed the night before thinking about the fun ride. Only Bob Cowels showed up. We rode to Grafton and had lunch at the Loading Dock. Beautiful day. I was really hungry because I had back to back exercise sessions with senior fit and senior zumba.  I recommended a polka song. The sleeplessness, exercise and fresh air can wear you out. Then on top of that the fund raiser for the Humane society.  I entered Sophie in her Civil War nurse outfit and we made the first cut but didn't win the doggie costume contest.Whew!



 We parked our motorcycles under the old warehouse and it has a retro bar for parties.
 I got back in time for a quick look at the Goodwill for senior discount Wednesday.  I couldn't get much on a motorcycle but had to look.  I picked up some silicone measuring cups.  I needed some new ones because I was missing 1/3 cup measure.  I found some new pajamas too.  Last week I found

I ordered my Mitochondrial DNA (mtDNA)  test from Ancestry.com.  Sean has already taken this DNA test.
I had dinner at Bob Evans because of the 15% kick back to Honor Flight with coupon.

I bought a coffin on eBay that I'll need to pick up.  It's about 200 miles away in Orlando Park, IL.  1) Halloween decor. 2) reenacting 3) my final arrangements. Have you seen how expensive caskets are????

I cold use a nice stand like the one above.

I need to make a satin liner.  It should also have a removable cover for the face window that is missing.

Saturday I stopped by a meeting for the Catholic War Veterans from LaSalle at the Navy Club.  I gave our commander some banners I had made for the car during the veterans day parade.   Then I went to New Salem Historic Site for 1830s Fall Festival.  I'd never been to the root cellar.  It's rarely open.
 Here's a building sign that a settler from Marrietta, OH lived in New Salem.  We've been to Marrietta.
 Then I visited the grave of Ann Rutledge, Lincoln's first love.
I'm trying to get my act together an sold my Thunder Shirt for $5 that used to fit on Marley who passed away last year.
Monday I went to a Patriot Guard mission/flag line for Ronald Luttrell. I got home and posted a a condolence online recieving the following in an email:  Thank you for leaving a condolence on the tribute page of Ronald Luttrell. Your contribution can be viewed at http://www.airsman-hires.com/tribute/details/6423/Ronald_Luttrell/obituary.html
In the evening I picked up my son, Sean, and we headed to Peoria to celebrate his brother's birthday at Jonahs-Seafood-House. I had some awesome tuna and cole slaw.  Was I ever stuffed and brought some tuna home too.  They threw in a birthday cake which I did not bring.  It was huge enough to share.    There was a nice full moon illuminating the riverside restaurant. 
Afterward we went to Alan's house and opened his gifts.  He showed my the cards from his aunts.  I gave him a football field door mat and monogrammed items.  Sean got him a spotlight.  We played with his dog, Hank, and made him pee with excitement. Since he lives in a neighborhood with a lot of kids, I brought him milk jugs to fill with water and about 10 glow sticks to drop inside when they have Trick or Treak.
I haven't had returned mail but I think I found my adopted soldier's unit on Facebook with pictures of a homecoming.  In the past, I've gotten returned mail months later.  Either way, I'm happy for him.

No comments:

Blog Archive