Monday, October 19, 2015

My week

Wednesday was busy.  I went to an Amvets meeting at 6PM.  After that I got the cake mixes sorted out with Libby for Lana's medical fundraiser on Saturday.  After that I dropped my letters for honor flight roll call and winnings from the Amvets 50/50 was donated to honor flight. On the way, I released the trapped squirrel over by the interstate near Cracker Barrel.  I doubt this squirrel will survive traffic cuz it was set loose in the triangle area. I'm exhausted. Got up too early and runnin' ever since. Had my flu shot this afternoon too.

Thursday evening I went to a lecture on "Lincoln and Voting".  Of all the events I could have attended (there were 2 others) I went to the event that I could hardly hear.   When I sat down, I felt my phone vibrate.  After the lecture I returned the call and it was Richard to talk about Sunday's pilgrimage to the tomb of Lafore Lock.  

Friday morning I woke to 36 degrees.  I needed my winter coat to take Sophie around the block.  I brought my plants inside:  Cilantro, Spider plant, Citronella, and pansy.  Hope these make it through the winter. 

I had gotten an email from Microsoft's OneDrive saying they will no longer provide OneDrive.  I went to see what I had on my OneDrive and saved a few photos and moved them to Facebook.  One was my accident.  Even though I dated the photo and explained the post was 2010, I've gotten so many get well wishes.

Sophie just got her Civil War nurse dress from Dogs of Gettysburg. Now she's a reenactor and a therapy dog.  I'm in the process of making a cap for her.

 Friday evening I attended an opening ceremony for a banquet at the Abraham Lincoln Presidential Museum with the 114th Regiment.  It's a brief ceremony.

Saturday morning we had our first frost.  I had covered my tomato plants the night before.  They still have little yellow flowers.  After walking Sophie early, I started to make cakes for the Lana Benedict medical fund raiser.  Since we started the planning, her condition worsened and she passed away but after 7 months of hospitalization, it's more than the family could bear.  She had been so active in our community helping in particular with the American Legion fish fry.  So it's time to give back.  I donated a CD set from Garth Brooks for the auction table.  I'd never fixed cakes in big quantities before.  4 cake mixes to a big pan.  I learned to use the mixing in my deep sink.

I did find a cute little clasp reticule at the Goodwill that will go with my ball gown.  I picked up some chainettes from Joanne Store to sew onto the hem of my skirt to hold my fan/reticule.
I also picked up some permanent fabric paint to cover some tar stains on this used dress I got for $60.  After being cleaned the tar stains didn't come out so I figure a reverse Sharpie cover will do. 
Saturday I spent baking cakes for Lana Benedict's medical fundraiser at the American Legion. 
It was a good turn out.  




I got a wooden mallet and a nut cracker on the silent auction.  Dan Bedell said the mallet was a good traditional work of art and needed Danish Oil to preserve the wood.  He showed me how to do it myself in his garage.  This would make a nice addition to reenacting props.
Sunday morning I awoke to 28 degrees out and I walked Sophie down the street. I decided to light all those twigs I'd hoarded all summer stuffed in the fire place. As usual, the detector went off. All is good and cozy.  I did put the heat on for a short while.  That cold snap affected my flexibility too.

At the LA Fore Lock pilgrimage in honor of Pvt Lock who was killed in action in 1918 in France. At Oakridge cemetery Springfield, IL

 Speaker Capt  Tristen Meyer BN Signals Officer will be representing the 130th Infantry on Sunday.
 Our WW1 doughboy.  (Reporters on the right)
 Don and Bob discuss freshening up the flagpole that marks the grave.
The newspaper covered the event here:
http://www.sj-r.com/article/20151018/NEWS/151019557

 So I got an email from Microsoft saying they were going to shut down "One Drive" and that all documents would be lost.  I checked to see if there was anything there that I wanted to save.  I found an old photo of my rehab from my motorcycle accident back in 2010.  I decided to load it to my motorcycle album on facebook and boy did the comments fly.  They thought it was recent.
Even though the photo had an explanation, few read it and posted "get well".  A few called to see if I was alright.

I wrap up this edition of "My Week" with a therapy dog visit to the Regency.  I hope to go there every 2 weeks.  It is a much larger facility than the one I have been going to locally.  I do get to see a friend there briefly but Sophie and I are volunteering.  It's so hard to pull her away from a hugging resident and let someone else get a chance too.  The time flies and the next thing you know, the residents are off for lunch.  The janitor was kind enough to ask if the vacuum would scare the dog.  Supposedly she's trained to remain calm during noise .... just not that 21 gun salute.

No comments:

Blog Archive