Monday, February 8, 2021

My Week

 Brr! The cold keeps me indoors this week and won't let up next week.  Sunday morning I woke up to zero degrees. 

Tuesday evening I went to the membership meeting for the Capitol Canine Training Club.   I really thought it was cute when the secretary's pit kept nudging the president for affection.  Unfortunately I missed the really cute candid shot before pulling out my camera.

 


I did bring Sophie with me to this meeting.  Sophie likes the socialization but many of the members are more into to performance dogs.  They avoid petting because it distracts focus during trials.  You sure don't want a dog running up to a judge for affection.  Sophie is the opposite and affection is all she's after.  Just like the pit bulls.  They are not doing any performance events but Lynn rescues them and gives them the basic obedience skills they require.

Most members of my exercise group ordered these "Rosie" tee shirts.  The last thing I need in my wardrobe is another tee shirt.   We still had a group photo taken.  Heck, I event found a PowerWorks tee shirt at the Goodwill.

 I removed the vertical blinds in preparation for the new door.  The new door has internal blinds.

I had a little trouble with the doggie door panel.  Needed some insulating tape especially in this cold.  The new door was smaller than the pre-measure that was sent in by the installer.  So that meant he had to fill the gap.  It also means that the trim boards that I stained were too narrow.  So he picked up some more supplies and the new trim is unfinished but tacked on for easy removal.  I may not stain it right away.  The next week I have another worker coming to mud over the wall texture to flatten and paint it. I may just save the staining of the trim for later.   New household trim is on my wish list.


Meanwhile, the closet in the guest room had to be removed.   I painted the closet and bought some new shelves.  I took Sophie with me.   She tends to steer me toward the car to go places. Sean helped me install the shelves.  I had to run to Ace Hardware for a stud finder.  Then he needed some drill bits so I gave him money to run to Ace Hardware because I had no clue what he was talking about.  Well, then he had another problem and will bring his own tools next Sunday to finish the job.  All the clothing is on the bed.

After a week without a credit card, a new one arrived.  Now I can get gas and fix a few recurring charges.   I got a text about fraud and the card was then closed out.

Wednesday I had my new patio door installed.  In the evening I started assisting for the dog obedience class.  This class had a gap due to COVID and returned.  The assistant whom I replaced couldn't fit the new schedule into her calendar due to other dog training.  She asked me to fill in for the remainder of the class.  Basically I check the students in and move equipment.  Sometimes I hold a leash for recall or separation exercises.  Most of these dogs are 1 year old and under.  They enter rather wild but eventually settle down.  Reminds me of how far Amber had come.   Amber was brought home on Saturday just before the snow.  Now to reconnect and start over.  

Friday I took Sophie to the groomers while I went to the dentist to have a filling replaced.  It went so smoothly that I couldn't believe how smooth it went.  I had dinner at the VFW and a wonderful crusted tilapia meal.  In the evening I took Sophie to "ring ready obedience" open practice.  Not too many came because of the season and cold.  I usually take Amber but Amber was still in Rochester, IL for training.  Sophie did fairly well but her eyesight makes for poor heeling.  She did a good recall but off center.  She had trouble with the "sit for inspection" because she thinks that anyone approaching her wants to pet her and play with her.  It's the therapy dog within her.  We did the center of the room sit while I walked a square around.  I had never tried that with Sophie but I was pleasantly surprised.


 

via GIPHY

We had a socially distanced Blessing of St Blaise after Mass.  Normally we would get this blessing of the throat one by one individually.  Father also mentioned that the church will be returning to an older method of the distribution of ashes.  We will have ashes sprinkled on top of the head instead of a cross on the forehead.   In ancient times, sacrifice was done with ashes and sackcloth.

What is the origin of throwing dust over head

Nancy is mentioned in Sunday's church bulletin.

Here is a link to the bulletin as a PDF.
 https://container.parishesonline.com/bulletins/01/0164/20210207B.pdf

 

No comments:

Blog Archive