Tuesday, August 15, 2017

My Week

You wouldn't know it was August but I was able to turn off the air conditioner for 5 days.
Since I had back surgery for Spondylolisthesis on April 27th,  I just wanted to show you the cards I got from Soldiers Angels.  They matched the size of the stack I got from family and friends.  Deeply moved and no doubt it aided my recovery.

Last Friday I was at the dedication of the Springdale Cemetery entrance and see if you can find me in this crowd:
Tuesday evening my guests said they saw a red fox at the Lincoln Tomb across from the old vault where I do "Distant Memories".  They were a bit surprised when I said I didn't see it but I knew there were a few foxes at Oak Ridge.  I believe the sun was in my eyes.

Thursday I got a baby sling off of Facebook sales to carry the new dog that won't walk on a leash.
It was only $10. 

I took Sophie to Reflections and I was pre-notified that it was "pajama day".  That would have been an easier theme for me in the winter time.  You would think that the residents would be in PJs too but it was only the staff.
Afterward I went over to the church as a member of the American Legion honor guard.  There were 4 of us and we took 15 minute intervals at both ends of the casket.  Past Commander Kingery was a 66 year member of American Legion Post 759.

Friday my rescue pekingese, Pearl, walked on a leash around the block for the first time. She's more of a follower thanks to Sophie and me. She did her job too. I've been kenneling them together over night to get used to each other and as a precaution, I've slept nearby on the couch in the living room.  Welcome to Pet life Pearl.

Saturday I worked at the state fair Bicentennial Tent.  We were selling tickets to a beer tasting of 19 local brews to be voted on as the best to be named our official state of Illinois Bicentennial Beer.

Sunday was veterans day at the state fair and the program was the best yet. Guest speaker was the most recent awardee of the Medal of Honor: Spc. 5 James C. McCloughan. He seemed so humble and and genuine. He even sang "Wind Beneath my Wings" and "Proud to be an American". His speech brought tears to my eyes. McCloughan even was in the parade. The Gold Star families were honored also. I set up a display table for the CWV and our banner for the Women's Overseas Service League. AMVETS sponsored a "kids corner" so I went in the bouncy house and got my face painted with a rose. I had a photo taken with Mrs Illinois. Veterans got to ride the tram for free and that was a first for me in all these years at the fair.
Here's an overview shot of the Veterans Day expo at the fair.
I brought a desk set as an altar on our table.
Illinois Department of Veterans Affairs Director Erica Jeffries introducing Medal of Honor James McClaughan.

There's a recording of Spc. 5 James C. McCloughan's speech.  Zip over to 14:30 and 19:00 on the time slider to hear him sing.
https://www.facebook.com/IllinoisDepartmentOfVeteransAffairs/videos/1508045792551271/
Army Veteran George Pempek was named Illinois Veterans' Patriotic Volunteer of the Year. George Pempek's award had to be presented at his seat since he can't walk very well.
 First he got the quarterly award and now the annual.
https://www.riverbender.com/articles/details/illinois-department-of-veterans-affairs-honors-veteran-mr-george-pempek-16060.cfm
 Staab Funeral Home was nominated by our Catholic War Veterans post and was named Illinois Veterans' Business of the Year at the Illinois State Fair.



https://funeralbusinessadvisor.com/staab-funeral-home-honored-for-contributions-to-veterans/funeral-business-advisor

 Mrs Illinois, Andrea Moore.
 My face painting of a rose bud.

Pearl had a poo poo in the house when I got home but it was the longest she's ever been left without a break and she attempted to do it on the piddle pad but missed.  Glad I have easy clean tile.

Monday I also worked a beer shift at the fair.  The weather has been great...so far.  Rain is expected later this week. 

I watched "Tess of the D'Urbervilles" on Vimeo here:
https://vimeo.com/3967098
Maybe you might like it too.
Ah the rudeness I've seen and then this historical etiquette:

"Giving advice, unasked, is another piece of rudeness. It is, in effect, declaring ourselves wiser than those to whom we give it; reproaching them with ignorance and inexperience."
Source: "How to Behave;" New York: Fowler and Wells, 1857, pg. 77.

No comments:

Blog Archive