Sunday, July 23, 2017

My Week

This week brought to you by a "heat wave".  St Louis hit a record high.

Sophie and I are mentioned in the TDI Newsletter on Page 33. Most of all, I love looking at all the dogs in the TDI scrapbook.
http://tdi-dog.org/images/Spring_Summer_2017.pdf 

Monday morning I went to senior balance class at Powerworks followed by 2 therapy dog visits. Sophie was sung "On the Wings of a Snow White Dove" by one of the patients.  Another patient loved Sophie so much that he handed me his cell phone to talk his family member.   I was player so I said what we were doing.  That felt a little awkward at first but I played along and life is simple.

Tuesday morning I went to my physical Therapy.  Wow, I can't believe I did a slow, methodical bridge in PT.

Then I went to an award ceremony for Staab Funeral Home for an award presentation by the State of Illinois for their support of veterans.  The award was nominated by our CWV Post Commander, Pat Noel, who spoke about the nomination.  Photo is a little dark because the podium was on the porch of the funeral home and I was in the HOT sun.

Here's a photo of me with the other veterans out in the hot sun.
News Media:
Staab Funeral Home receives honor from IDVA
You can see me on this news video:
http://foxillinois.com/news/local/staab-funeral-home-honored-for-contributions-to-veterans-07-19-2017

Tuesday evening I did my distant memories at the Lincoln Tomb.  I tried to record it but I need to get a good recording.  This would have been good but its off center and I made a mistake on the year.

In the evening I went to the Lincoln Tomb.  I recorded my presentation of Distant Memories but hopefully I'll delete this copy soon and make a better copy.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CLpCPobzMPc
I'll do a solo version just facing the camera next week without an audience.

Wednesday I did my senior day shopping.  Then in the evening I went to the quarterly Veterans Assistance Commission meeting.  I am the new secretary but missed the first meeting with that title because it was just before my surgery and evenings were very painful then. So I did role call and minutes.  I'll miss the next quarterly meeting in October too.

Friday I noticed that the lady down the street was taking her trash out and there was no car in her garage.  She told me that it was totaled on June 30th.  This is the same lady that helped me take my trash out when I was having surgery.  Later I went to the Old State Capitol in the afternoon for our Soldiers Aid Society set up.  In the evening, some neighbor kids that visited their grandparents came over to play with Sophie so we walked around the block in the heat.

Saturday morning we got some rain that lasted about an hour.  I stopped by the Illinois State Military Museum to see their military vehicle show.






 The business cards I left for the Womens Overseas Service League are still there.
 WWII Gold Star Mothers pin.

 Funny Hitler pin cushion with a soft tush and pin inserted.
Here's the news media link about the show.
http://www.wandtv.com/Clip/13516986/military-car-show-gives-people-glance-into-history#.WXSmry5FpMM.facebook
In the afternoon I went to a 50th wedding anniversary vow renewal for Les and Dodie.

I watched "The Immigrant".  I thought it was good.  
http://www.rogerebert.com/reviews/the-immigrant-2014
I also watch "Jane Got a Gun".

Last week I was disturbed about the church requirement for a background check out of the principle that I did nothing wrong.  I have nothing to hide but it seems to make the ministry more of a job than a faith sharing service to my parish.  I've had this done 5 years ago and now it's time for renewal and I just keep dwelling on it.  Maybe I should just sit back and listen to scripture instead of reading it to the congregation.  I had 2 background checks for therapy dog visits.
Then this Sunday, on reflection of today's Gospel about the good seed and the bad seed and they must live together until harvest (aka Judgement Day) when they would be separated.  The weeds did choke the good plants. The farmer didn't pull up the weeds that were planted by the enemy lest they pull out the roots of the good seeds.  I didn't get that meaning initially from my church's sermon today but rather watching EWTN sermon for Knights of Peter Claver convention.  That's why we are vetted volunteers.

I read obituaries because I maintain a memorial of the day for Camp Butler Facebook page.  I saw this on the bottom of an obituary.  "I'll remain grateful, thankful and humble. Don't whine, don't complain, don't make excuses and never, ever quit."

No comments:

Blog Archive