Monday, July 10, 2017

My Week



Monday I went to Regency Care with Sophie and then later had an appointment for my hearing check.  I explained that I just thought they were set as "good as it gets" even though I avoid crowds and noise.  I told him that if someone had addressed me from across a table, I had to get up and approach the person to hear.  I had a few tweaks made.  I think I like the change but still experimenting the settings with the situation.  I don't understand why the TV in the waiting room doesn't have closed captioning turned on.

I like this chair because it's lighter than newer ones. I got it for $1.  However the canvas seat tore when I sat down because it was so old.  I found a remnant of upholstery fabric for $1.  I have enough of this upholstery fabric to do the back but shown here for contrast.
Doing  the back was more difficult.  There were more screws and I had to make the pattern taught.  I think the blue makes it look a little like furniture rather than camping equipment.  When I first saw the remnant for 99 cents, I didn't like it but now I do.  That rubber foot is the most expensive piece on there.

Since I was tripping on the broken patio blocks in the road that the neighbor used to brace the wheels on her boat, the blocks then became my problem. She braced the tires of her boat trailer when she got it out of storage.  It's illegal to park a boat on the street here and she was ticketed last year.  She said she can only park there to clean it up and reach the hose.  I picked up the blocks with my gardening knee stoop (with handles) and put them in the trash. They are heavy for someone like me but at least I won't trip on them when I walk the dog.

Independence day was busy.  At 10AM I had Mass with the Catholic War Veterans at Oak Ridge Cemetery.  The banner on the right I made and the poster on the left by Staab Funeral Home.

At noon I was in the color guard for the reading of the declaration and at 5:30 I was at the Lincoln Tomb coming in with a blast to do Distant Memories prior to the Flag Lowering Ceremony.


 In the evening I went to see fireworks and sat in the driveway of Graham with my dog Sophie.  She was a little more frightened of the fireworks than I expected.  Holding her calmed her down. 

Wednesday I had my first physical therapy at 9AM.  I still have a little pain on my left leg which I thought was a recurrence of nerve pain. However, it's a tight tendon instead. Thank God! A major nerve and tendon are almost in the same place so tendon elasticity I can work out.   My PT appointments seem to run the same time as silver sneakers, very early.

Later I went to a TDI appointment at St John's Hospital for the first time since my surgery. 
I loaned my hat and gloves to my activity director at the nursing home for a tea party/birthday party and she looked marvelous.
The brim of the hat seems to be curling up because of the original box it was shipped in is just a little too small.  I'll have to look for a fix or make a box that's just a little bigger.

Friday I brought scones to the Old State Capitol for our Soldiers Aid Society guests.  Seemed like attendance was down.  It's a new fiscal year and the Historic Preservation Agency is now under the Department of Natural Resources.

I got a request to renew my police background check to be a volunteer at church (reader and minister).  I don't have to repeat the class "Protecting God's Children" but this background checking is getting old.  It needs to be renewed.  I had to have fingerprints to volunteer at one of the nursing homes with Sophie too.   I understand new volunteers at the historic sites get this too now but I was grandfathered in.  I'm not going to have sexual relations with the kids of the parish. I have no desire period.  This is insulting to me.

Saturday I carried the American Legion flag as part of the 4 person color guard at the Highland Games opening ceremony.

Sunday morning we had Mass together with the Catholic War Veterans.  Afterward we had breakfast and Sean came over.  I told Sean not to cut the grass because it's not growing as much with the dry summer.  I took advantage of the 20 percent off day at Big Lots.  Mostly canned goods. 

Well I'm looking forward to more physical therapy.




No comments:

Blog Archive