Monday, June 26, 2017

My Week

Well Summer has officially Arrived on Tuesday

With restrictions lifted last Friday, I went to Powerworks for "senior balance" class on Monday.  In the evening I went to the VFW meeting.

Sophie had her nice clean up at Bubbles of Fun.  She really needed it because she hadn't been groomed since March. I was charged  $40 instead of $25. She had a different groomer. It was a comedy of errors. They couldn't find my name anywhere. Last month they thought I was a no-show for May 19 when I asked for an appointment on Jun 19.  I made that appointment date because I had my doctor visit the Friday before and expected restrictions lifted.  I made an appointment for the following Monday.   I assumed Bubbles of Fun remembered that I pick her up at 10AM so I can take her to a TDI visit afterward.  I shouldn't have assumed that. I rescheduled that visit  at the nursing home for the afternoon.  It went real well I I used the umbrella stroller.  A staff member helped me when she needed to be picked up.  When I picked her up, I later noticed a bit of dried blood where her nail was trimmed.   I later found a new groomer nearby and very reasonable thanks to John P.

Tuesday evening I went to the flag ceremony at the Lincoln Tomb.  I saw a fox at Oak Ridge cemetery before the flag lowering ceremony
Afterward I went to the Land of Lincoln Honor Flight homecoming. The WW2 veterans that are regulars had a birthday among them and a lady dropped off a card and a cup cake but couldn't stay.


While waiting for the homecoming, my hearing aid battery died and I mentioned I'd have to go to my car and get a battery.  One of the WW2 veterans gave me one of his batteries. :)

Wednesday I gave tours at the Lincoln Tomb in the afternoon.  On my way there I saw Chuck at the War memorials on my former motorcycle that I sold him so I stopped by.  He seemed happy with the bike and wanted to know more about the blessing of the bikes decals.   Tours had a steady crowd.  Rubbing the nose of Lincoln is supposed to bring good luck but there's always someone taking a picture with the finger in the nose.  That brings bad luck I think.  I guess I'll add that to my tour spiel.    Even as I gave tours on Wed, someone wanted to go behind the utility door in the rotunda which has nothing but utilities, handouts, and a toilet (maybe a ghost).  People like the forbidden.  This photo I stole off of flicker illustrates "the forbidden zone" appeal.

Thursday I took Sophie to Reflections for the first time in a long time.  The residents missed Sophie and me. In fact I think some worried about me.  Afterward I stopped to meet with a new groomer referred by a friend. On the way back I took a picture of a cute girl scare crow.  I had to be careful stopping to take this picture since it's on a blind curve.

 Friday I helped out at the Old State Capitol with our History Comes Alive: Soldiers Aid Society exhibit.   We had a nice steady crowd.  I wore my new corset.
It reminds me of the medical braces for back surgery that I've seen.

I had a nice conversation with a docent from Iowa Old Capitol that gave tours. Both of our sites had the same architect: John Francis Rague of Springfield, IL.  Rague also designed the Illinois State Capitol in Springfield.   I told her that I was pleased she came and that I'd never been to their site.  I told her I used to feel a little intimidated by all the Lincoln scholars that come here for conferences.  I realize that they may be wise and knowledgeable but they need to see the site layout to what they may have known.  I remember giving a tour to our Grant persona and the interest that went with it.  I too love seeing sites and sometimes I know what will come out of the mouth of our tour guide but unless they ask the group, I dare not offer a reply so that others in the group may think. 

In the evening I went to the Elijah Iles house for a discussion on Thomas Lincoln:
There was a good turnout.  The parking lot told me so.  I ended up sitting on the steps since the seats were full.  The presentation was similar to this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M2fXTCANghw

It's hard to get my family all together but we were at the ribbon cutting for the Vet Center in early April.  Even Alan smiled!  I have a "Spondy Smile" since this was about a week and a half before surgery.

 

More on the spine: 


No comments:

Blog Archive