Monday, June 12, 2017

My Week


Monday I finished some lace undersleeves for my Civil War dress and repaired a tear in the hoop from the past weekend.  In the evening I went to the American Legion meeting.

Wednesday I missed my lunch date due to work calling it off but I did some shopping and found a lovely dress.

Thursday I went to the Old State Capitol for a special invite-only tour of the historic clocks.   The clocks were referred to as "table box".  Clock peddlers rode on horseback with a clock on their chest and back.  The clocks would have a paper inside about it's maker.

The Black face clock in the State Library is a Chauncy Jerome clock dating 1838.   Chauncey Jerome (1793–1868) was an American clockmaker in the early 19th century. He made a fortune selling his clocks, and his business grew quickly. However, his company failed in 1856, and he died in poverty.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chauncey_Jerome
The colorful clock in the Secretary of State is a gold leave by Seth Thomas.
https://clockhistory.com/sethThomas/company/
Eli Terry got a patent for the mechanism but lost the patent on the clock's actual design.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eli_Terry
The grandfather clock in the Supreme Court was not made in America.  These were known as "long case clock" until the song came out in the 1880s.
I never heard of the song "My Grandfather's Clock" so I found it here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=15&v=ectJBP4saNc
The clocks without a moon were less expensive.  The moon/sun rotation helped the farmers.

The clock in the Law Library had a sad life because the flake came off the mirror and bottom plate was replaced with plain glass.  This clock dates to about 1820 by John Birge before the merger.
http://www.clockguy.com/SiteRelated/SiteReferencePages/JohnBirge.html

The clock in representative Hall doesn't fit the time.  It's a galley clock from the '60s. This clock is from the Ansonia company.
The clock in the Senate dates about 1880-90 possibly Newhaven.
The banjo clock in the the Governor's reception room is very valuable.  This is a 'First American" clock.
http://www.clockguy.com/SiteRelated/SiteReferencePages/EHowardHistory.html
The clock in the governor's office is pure enscrolled tablet by Eli Terry Bristol, Connecticut made.  It has an ivory key hole.  This clock was made with claw feet to put on a shelf or mantel.  (see photo attached)
The clock in the Office of Instruction has an ivory key hole and a painted scene from 1820.  Finials are intact. Unfortunately the key to this clock is unknown and we can't read the paper documents inside.  It uses brass works.  (see photo attached)

The "finials" are the points on the top of the clock
I took only 2 pictures of the fanciest clocks.
 This is the clock in the office of Public Instruction but the key is missing so the paper information cannot be read.
Thursday evening I went to the Catholic War Veterans meeting.

Friday I went to a few yard sales.  I had been looking for an umbrella stroller so that I wouldn't have to bend over and pick up Sophie on visits.
Friday I volunteered at the American Legion Homecoming festival from 4:30- 9:30.

Saturday I went to the Crown Plaza for the State AMVETS Convention.  Sunday I returned for the swearing in of new officers.  That was after I went to church with the Catholic War Veterans.
My Hollyhocks are blooming and so is my Easter Lilly but it's getting run over by over growth.


I may look fine after surgery but this photo illustrates my ability

 

I just read another blog about recovery here:
http://frame.bloglovin.com/?post=5689805423&blog=10233875&frame_type=feed

No comments:

Blog Archive