Monday, November 28, 2016

My Week

Wednesday I took Sophie to her appointment at Bubbles of Fun.  Not that it was fun but she likes playing with the other dogs loose.  She smells so nice.  Too bad it was a rainy day.  While she was being worked on, I went to our senior strength followed by our Zumba light.  There was a man using the empty room for stretches so instead of chasing him out, we invited him to join us since so few showed up for this pre-holiday class.  Zumba is hard on the first try much less subsequent attempts but he got a sweat going.  On the pick up, I stopped at a few thrift stores for senior discount day.  I found a Korean War Veterans light blue wind breaker jacket that had the logo on it.  I knew that Rex told me he was having a hard time finding a jacket the right type for their uniform look.  I got it for him for less than $5 with the senior discount.  It was unworn but had been stamped for the Decatur chapter.  He was elated to have it

Chaplain Steve told me that he got an email from Wreaths Across America about the delivery for the statehouse wreath which is usually presented with the Nativity dedication at the capitol.
The statehouse Nativity dedication on 11/ 29/16 at 11AM.  We will be presenting the "Statehouse" wreath for Wreaths Across America during this ceremony.
http://canadafreepress.com/article/nativity-scene-returns-to-illinois-capitol-for-9th-year.
The ceremony is a bit earlier and the national WAA is a week later this year so the delivery of the wreath will be a bit later than the ceremony.   I had to make a temporary wreath for the presentation.  It's very similar except smaller and artificial.  When the green larger statehouse wreath comes in we'll swap.


Well I kept the dirty dishes down to a minimum on Thanksgiving by a combination of dish washing both by hand and by the dishwasher. The meal was good.  The three dogs played. We had a family walk with the dogs after we ate. Moe made Hank bleed a little with their rough housing around in the yard. I gave my sons each a bag of leftovers so I don't have to throw it all out  .... a condition I made in order to make a traditional meal. I would have been satisfied with a small turkey breast but Alan likes the look of a full turkey on Thanksgiving.  I gave them an early gift that I was saving for Christmas, our group photo in resin block. After they left, I watched Anne of Green Gables and Pollyanna on PBS.  Tryptophan

Friday I went to Peoria for a Civil War Holiday Dance at the GAR hall.
I've done a few repairs to this troublesome dress.  I've added a second ruffle which makes it more period correct.  One ruffle makes the dress look like it was lengthened and poorly planned.  I added a puff to the sleeves and ran a stitch across the bertha's pleated collar to keep things in place.


Here's the before picture with the bertha crooked and the sleeves droop to the elbows.
The dress was more difficult to put on and take off with the narrower shoulder. 

Afterward, I got to see the East Peoria Festival Of Lights drive through.  That was something that I've wanted to do years before but the fact that I had a newspaper coupon for $5 off ($10 admission) and being in the area made it finally happen.  It was a little tricky finding the directions that were given to me by a local while dancing at the GAR but it was so worth it.

Saturday I was a little under the weather and didn't leave the house except to run to Ace Hardware for window film.

Sunday morning I saw our church's Advent decor. 
Big Advent candles at church this morning. Happy new (liturgical) year.
 Two of the four candles were at the entrance and the other two above the alter. Let's just put it this way, we knew there should be 4 and when we saw 2 at the entrance, it drew you in to look for the others.

It was a little too cool from me to go on the Sid Wood "Oldest and Coldest" toy run.  I think this is the last year too.  Last year I was in the paper with Santa in my Mrs Claus dress.  I just played it safe with this cough and didn't want to get worse.
Instead, I went to Erin’s Pavilion for the Staab Funeral Home's

Light a Candle of Love, A Service of Remembrance at Holiday Time

Monday evening I went to Metamora to dance with our group for the seniors at Snyder Village.  I think we did great considering those that were not too well.

No comments:

Blog Archive