Monday, November 21, 2016

My Week

Monday evening I went to Metamora for dance practice.  The old courthouse was so cold inside.  After it was over, it seemed warmer outside.  I clipped this photo from the bathroom door.
Before the Revolutionary War, men's privies had a star or sunburst cut into the door and the women's had a crescent moon. Over the years though, one might expect, men's outhouses were not as well cared for as women's and they fell into disrepair. So men took advantage of the better cared for women's johns and eventually most of the little stinkers had the crescent moon. The cutouts in the doors were to let a little air in. But more importantly they let a little light in. Taking a lit candle in could have explosive consequences for the occupant! Most two-holers were not for double occupancy as much as they were for adults and a smaller one for children.
I stopped transcribing at that point.

Thursday I made chili and cornbread and shared it with the workers.  I had enough left over so I brought it to the ABATE meeting.  On the way home, I hit a racoon crossing on Woodside Road on the way home from the meeting. Glad it wasn't a deer.

Saturday I helped organize a shopping tour with our Soldiers Aid Society.  I created an itinerary of favorite stops for bargain hunting that I've showed off some finds used for reenacting in the past.  It was fun seeing what the others purchased.  We had lunch at Cracker Barrel.  I love the pecan encrusted catfish.  I found this head covering at one of the antique shops with little pushells. I sent this photo to Kathy Kelly Hunt of Three Sisters Millinery and she said, "Yes! Wear it with the front across the crown of your head - not up near the forehead."  However, sharing this on facebook with the beginners Civil War Closet said it was much later ~ 1920.

Sunday I went to Mass at the Cathedral at 10AM.  It was the feast of Christ the King.  The sermon was about the 17 new cardinals (3 are American) that were elevated the day before.  One in particular was Fr Simoni who was a survivor of the Albanian Communist purge and testified that he witnessed priests that shouted, 'Long live Christ the King,' as they were shot.  So fitting that this new cardinal see this on the feast of Christ the King.
 Story here:
http://www.spiritfm905.com/Blog/Catholic-News/Catholic-News/144349

Afterward, I helped out at the kitchen for the ABATE Thanksgiving Dinner for the poor and homeless held in the school's kitchen.

Monday I volunteered at the Lincoln Tomb from 1-5.  I relieved another volunteer who was running solo. When my shift ended, a man named Larry came to lock up.  There were no busses but a very diverse group of families passing through for the holidays from all over.  I actually enjoyed talking to them.  In the evening I went to our VFW meeting.  I shared the audio of our winner of our local Voice of Democracy from my laptop.  Wishing Tori luck as she goes to the next level.

I watched a movie called "The Love Letter".  You can see it here too.
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3j7u4t



No comments:

Blog Archive