Tuesday, July 19, 2016

My Week

Well the week is hot and humid.

Wednesday night I had a meeting with the AMVETS.  Dale wasn't award that he was selected as our post AMVET of the year because he didn't read the state paper. 

 I didn't sleep too well worrying about the following day: 8AM -3PM with Kids in the warm weather (90 degrees).    I led them from the African American Museum to the Lincoln Tomb where we gave them a tour.  Then they had games, exercise, lunch and then the kids were to make monuments for a loved one.  The kids did a great job. There's just so much you can take with screaming kids.  I came home and walked the dog and showered.  Then at 5PM, I went to the Lincoln monument Association (LMA) meeting. I told them I'd never seen their news letter from LMA because I'm on the board but not a member. They looked shocked.   I updated the address on the LMA facebook page from a Chatham address to . Facebook wants the not-for-profit proof
At 7PM I went to Catholic War Veterans meeting.  That sure was a long day.
I need a break.  

I got this pin on ebay for a Clara Barton impression.
 There it is on my chemisette (the blouse is a tie around the waist with false shoulders).  I still need to hem the skirt.  I had to remove some boning from the jacket that were jabbing me in the underarm because I'm petite in the waist.  I also removed cuff lace because it didn't look period. 

Friday was spent getting a new phone.  I went to Green Mobile and got an iPhone 5c and advised to get Straight Talk from Walmart.  I was told it would take an hour to get my phone number transferred from my Tracfone to the iPhone but after 7 hours I got on chat with Straight Talk and learned I got a bad sim card based on the scratch off number.  They sent me a new one that arrived on Monday afternoon and I'll be off voice for a few days.  I can make outgoing calls via gmail contacts but not take calls in.  Those calls show me as unlisted.  

Friday evening I went to the Mary Lincoln Coterie.   There were 7 Mary portrayers there.  They talked about their portrayal and some got so emotional about her and defended her reputation about her insanity.  What else was interesting was the difference in how they viewed Elizabeth Keckley (although letters by Mary have spelled her name ly).  Locally, Mrs Kekley has been viewed as her confidant, like talking to her hair dresser today or a chamber maid on Downton Abby.  But some of the other portrayers told a different view. She was a black business woman...an employee who is not to share gossip of her employer.  In fact Mrs Kekley's letters lost her business as a confidant and she died penniless.
Saturday I went to Peoria to dance at the Peoria Riverfront Museum with the Metamora dancers.
We are learning a new Cinderella Dance from the Regency era.

Afterward, some of us ate a Rhythm Kitchen across the street.  I had a Tandoori salad.

Sunday was very muggy so I pretty much went to church and grocery.  I asked the clerk to hurry because we could hear thunder.  She smiled. I made lunch for my son and myself.  Cole slaw was awesome.  I added fresh cilantro from my planter.

Monday I took Sophie to the groomers.  It sure feels different in the house without Sophie. She's at Bubbles of Fun.  The humidity is so high that my glasses fog up when I go out.  I'm trying to pull weeds from the tomato plants in this.  Her groomer commented on how nice she rolled over for her drying and brushing on her underside.  Ha...I give her partial grooming before every visit and she's used to it.  I did a little weeding in the garden which was badly needed and then it got hot.

In the evening I went to help with the American Legion Color Guard but when I saw there were more than enough people there, I released myself to attend the VFW meeting at the same time.  Ron came to the meeting at my request to speak about Wreaths Across America.

I almost forgot my annual medical check up because my phone calendar is down. I had a tetanus shot. My BMI is spot on standard.  I like some of these subjective questions they have for the nurse like have you been upset or depressed.  Heck yeah I've been angered by a few individuals and the news media but not medically. 

Tuesday morning I cut the grass which was growing from the rain we had earlier.  Oh and the milkweed that I pulled last week is coming back up.

No comments:

Blog Archive