Monday, June 13, 2016

My Week


Raise your kids with religious values and you create a traditional memory and sentiment.
He shared this video called Arky Arky Noah Cartoon Song
Sean:  "odd what pops in your head randomly.. That record was my fav and I was upset when it got scratched..."

My neighbor who works at St John's hospital told me about the dog/no dog signs on the 11th floor (hospice).  Last Saturday I stopped by St John's Hospital and introduced myself on the 11th floor as a TDI-A handler since I was in the neighborhood.  I met Shayla who was just getting ready to leave and gave her my card. I had asked about the dog signs and she said she'd explain that when I come and that she would call me.  I explained my hearing problem on the phone in case we have trouble connecting.  She asked which day would be best for me and I suggested Wednesday (I have standing appointments with Sophie on Tues and Thurs at Reflections).  Since she didn't call, I assumed she knew I wouldn't understand her on the phone anyway because of my hearing impediment. I brought Sophie on Wednesday.  Shayla asked me if I was a Samaritan.  Now I'm thinking she wanted to know if I'm an unpaid volunteer like the story of The Good Samaritan but St John's refers to their volunteers as "Samaritans" that have had a background check and orientation.  She made a copy of our TDI card but still requires her veterinarian records (already a prerequisite for TDI certification card she copied).  They also require my immunization record and drivers license.  Boy, it's hard volunteering these days.  I'd say we got off on the wrong foot.  I was given a appointment for a health screening on June 14 at 9:30 and orientation on June 15 at 4:30.
She confessed that she's afraid of dogs too by the way.  I asked her if she'd feel more comfortable if I carried the dog and agreed.

Afterward I dropped off the props of wicker wheel chair and orphans for our Old State Capitol Civil War Encampment weekend.  I also got some hard tac for my kit.  I still had Sophie with me.  
In the evening I went to our AMVETS post meeting.  

Thursday I had a therapy dog visit at 1:30PM, I helped sell tickets at the Chatham American Legion Homecoming from 5-7PM, then I went to the Catholic War Veterans meeting.

Friday morning I went to a funeral for Bob from our Catholic War Veterans post.  Then I volunteered at the Old State Capitol from 1-5.  Then I registered at the Abraham Lincoln Hotel for the AMVETS conference.  I learned that I only had to attend Saturday morning and then I went back to the Old State Capitol after 10:30.  I had to attend for roll call because I was the I was the AMVETS Womens Representative.  My article/report was in the convention book.  Amy and I are the short (AKA period correct height) reenactors.  Amy's persona is Clara Barton.  She said that I'd be a perfect match for Ms Barton in the later years of 1880 as she opens the Red Cross.  Only problem with that is that I'd have to get a later style dress with a bustle and my eye color was different.  Well, we are both short and that would be typical for the time.
I would have to go more like this look:

 Here are some photos from the Old State Capitol reenactment.


Stephanie, Laura and Andrew.

 Saturday morning I turned the air conditioner on.  My neighbor had a yard sale so I put the little motorcycle in the yard.  He said a few looked at it.  He said he rode it and had just put it back in my garage when I got home from the reenactment.  Travis liked the pick up it has.  I told him it had fast take off because it's light weight but then tapers off around 40 MPH.  Good for 70 MPG.  It's on Craigslist


Sunday morning I started again.  I had a memorial Mass with the Catholic War Veterans at 8AM.  Then I went back to the conference to make sure I didn't forget my patriotic AMVETS wreath that I left on display.  While packing it, Bob Dant told me that elections were moved to 10AM instead of 11 so I could still fit that in between Mass and the reenactment a block away.   I also got to meet the new state commander and I was glad he introduced himself to me because I would never have known.  We had a nice little chat.  I made roll call and I was new to the convention scene and darn if our post was called on first to vote for the one contended position.  I sure didn't know what I was doing so I just picked one and cast the 3 votes for my post 61.  Well he didn't win that election.
I did go back to the Old State Capitol and changed into my period dress.  Traffic was low and those that did come did not expect this special added event for the tour.  I don't think anybody happened by that got word about the Civil War Camp this weekend.  I had my demonstration of a Civil War hair style. 
The Metamora Courthouse dancers came:
 Our Sanitary Fair:






 I'm hiding behind the picture frame sewing tulle into my undersleeves.  Foreground are the orphan babies.

 The medical tent.
You'll notice not many people but many reenactors.  There was an isolated rain storm in the afternoon near closing time for the camps adding humidity to the high temperature.
I came home heat exhausted and tired.  I don't know how the other outdoor reenactors did it in the 90 degree heat and I was indoors and hot.  Well at least Representative Hall was the coolest spot.  I came home in time to have a brief visit with Sean and Moe.  Then I took a nap.  A nap can really break up a day.  I watched a movie on INSP channel called "the Unforgiven" with Audrey Hepburn from 1960 about Rachel a Kiowa girl raised white that I'd never seen before.  Here's the movie:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=78GVU9y4TXg
That link probably won't last long because it's missing the beginning and end.

Monday, while exercising, I noticed my left hearing aid was silent but that the button to change programs would speak the program number as it changed to my right hearing aid via wifi.  I had a bone density test at 9:30 and after that I went to Audibel to get it checked.  He cleaned it up and back in business
Then I cut the grass.  Now the house looks occupied again.  LOL.

Can Sophie jump high enough to get her squeaky toy from my pocket?  

yes.

I planted a nice 6 pack of tomatoes. Now I have 7 volunteer tomatoes coming up too.

No comments:

Blog Archive