Sunday, May 8, 2016

My Week

Just a couple of warm nights made me change from my down quilt to a summer quilt.  Then I got cold and shivered the night following.  After that I threw on my wool blanket over the top.  Hopefully temporarily.

Wednesday we recreated a smaller version of the Lincoln Funeral commemorating the 151st anniversary of the Lincoln funeral.

See the short person right behind the hearse?  That would be yours truly.  It looks like I'm wearing black but it's really dark brown.

The photo came from:
http://www.sj-r.com/photogallery/LS/20160505/NEWS/505009999/PH/1


Here's a better shot of us just before the cortege waiting.   L - R:  Amy Barger, me, Laura Reyman, and Amelia Christy.  Amelia's kids were in a loaner goat cart.  Our Soldiers Aid Society would love a cart to haul our displays around at reenactments.

A group photo was taken just before departure (I'm the short one in front in the brown dress):
here we are walking past the Lincoln Home with my veil down. The veil helps with the sun in the eyes and also those nasty gnats.

 I was interviewed for TV but I wished I'd have said "Today we recreate a funeral that ended the bloody Civil War. Appomattox wasn't enough because the heart still had anger and didn't hit the brakes yet. We had to have a martyr to make us realize we need to stop. It's over. The people tried to make up by the biggest funeral for our Springfield native and president."  See the video here:
http://newschannel20.com/news/local/volunteers-reenact-lincolns-funeral-march-on-151st-anniversary

I got home at 9PM and had just enough time to throw off my many layers of  clothing and walk Sophie before going to bed.  I had to get up early for a trip with the Marine Bank Mariner Club to St Louis for a Civil War themed trip.  Our first stop was the Museum of Transportation.  It was a bit of a stretch for a Civil War trip but still history.  Here is a picture of the Mexican engine called "Big Alice".

 Well this is about as close to the Civil War as it got here:
There was a cool car museum too.

We did not have much time to see everything.  I referred to this trip as a sample platter like you get in a restaurant.
After lunch we went to White Haven where Grant met Julia Dent.  The house is unlike others in that it was painted Paris Green which is toxic.
After that we went to the Civil War Museum at Jefferson Barracks.

It's almost like we saved the best for last.  There was a beautiful Studebaker Buggy on the lower level.
Since I had been reenacting as Rose Hermann during the summer, I was often curious about her husband joining a Union regiment in Missouri which was mostly confederate.  I got my answer.  There were two Union regiments made up of mostly German immigrants.  They spoke the same language.  Now it makes sense. These units stayed loyal to the Union because of they just left an oppressive country only to join another and now they had to take a stand.  It all made sense to me now.  See the map below with the two dark blue counties that were Union.

I didn't need another tee shirt but I bought one that I did need.  It looked like a Union uniform with buttons and a US belt printed on it.  Great for those days at an event when I want to show my side of the war without upstaging others.  I also got a 36 star flag.  That's how many states were on the flag when Lincoln died.  On the way home, the bus stopped at Cracker Barrel and I had a pecan crusted catfish with rice and green beans.
Friday, May 6th, I went to the Civil War Ball in Lincoln, IL at the American Legion Hall.
7:00PM - 10:00PM http://www.railsplitting.com/   


These photos above credit credit to:
http://www.newheraldnews.com/454/195333/a/dancing-the-night-away-at-the-11th-annual-civil-war-ball

Saturday I laid the Air Force wreath at the opening ceremony of the Vietnam Vigil along with another AF veteran, Mike Wheeler, who came 100 miles from Charleston, IL for the event.  A friend took this.  In the evening, our American Legion post walked around the Vietnam, Korean, and WW2 memorials from 9-10PM.  There was a light rain.  The student choir from Rockford pulled up in 2 buses and sang a Capella patriotic songs in the quiet night.
I took Sophie on a Therapy Dog visit to Hickory Glen. Therapy Dog (Nancy and Sophie) was listed on the facility calendar. 
No other Therapy Dog was there. I did get a signature for a visit and we did enjoy a visit with the residents in the lobby for about an hour.  There was however 3 other dogs that were either residents or guests dogs which my dog wanted to play with rather than doing her TDI job.  I don't think this is a good fit.  I do hope the other two she mentioned will pick up the slack for the older Sophie that wishes to retire.  I believe this facility is interested in weekend activities that are somewhat self-serve when the activity director is off duty.  I prefer weekdays. There was a family member in the lobby that told me he had 3 Pekinese dogs of various colors and thru some discussion he may know Sophie's previous owner.  Sophie has a special talent.  Many dogs have it but need a loving handler to bring it out. 

Sunday was Mothers Day with my sons and our dogs.  We had a nice long quality walk with 3 dogs.  Mo and Hank played pretty rough.  It was later discovered minor wounds.  I'm so glad my Sophie stayed back.  The neighbor gave me his concrete slap and cinder blocks to prop up my rain barrel as long as my sons were here to help. That was better than flowers or wine for Mother's Day.  I dropped the hint to my sons via facebook thinking it would be economical for them (not May 11 BTW).   I'm much happier with their strength in lifting that concrete slab that the neighbor gave me for my rain barrel.
Then we went out to eat at Abe's Hideout.  I feared the restaurants would be crowded but by 3:45, parking lots were light. I had their special pot roast with roasted vegetables.  Yum!  I love my sons.

My handset blutooth phone is now working with my tracphone but haven't gotten the piece that goes with me outside the home to work yet.  I'll stop by the office to inquire on Monday. 

No comments:

Blog Archive