Monday, December 21, 2015

My Week

Poor Sophie, my dog, she had her shots at the vet and worse was that fecal exam.  All is good except for a cataract.  The vet wanted to test a new chip wand and it didn't find Sophie's chip.  So he pulled out the older wand and there it was.  Afterward, she got to go on a therapy dog visit.

My article on a fictional account of Rose Hermann at the Lincoln Funeral was published in the Dec-Jan issue of Citizens Companion. It's my summer program on Distant MemoriesBarnes and Nobel doesn't carry this magazine either. So I subscribed online. I downloaded the PDF.  This issue has a theme of Christmas and mourning. It is 44 pages in PDF. The online subscription for a yr is $35.

Wednesday evening I volunteered at the Old State Capitol for the Downtown Holiday Walk.  We had a scavenger hunt to find certain wreaths throughout the building that represented the various historic sites.   Since I don't wear my hearing aids around the house, I realized in the car while listening to the radio that I forgot to put them on.  They are so light weight.  The turn out at the event was great.  I brought a copy of the first Christmas Card to show visitors.

I know I don't have a signed release form for this photo card but this WW2 vet's daughter gave me the attached card that made my day.  She gave this card to the staff at Reflections Care.  David can't talk but can understand, nod and make sounds.  Notice Sophie on his lap in one of the photos.
When I first started the dog visits and the weather was nice, I asked his daughter if he'd be interested in a dog and she said she didn't think so while his hand reached out toward Sophie.  She was pleasantly surprised that her dad liked Sophie.  You see he can't talk but can understand and nod.  His daughter is often there during my visits (Tues and Thurs) so I know she's devoted.  I loved his Halloween costume as Duck Dynasty. 

Oh, and I also felt good about today's visit because I spoke to a DHS inspector while Sophie was on his lap.  I was pleased we made a good impression. 

Thursday I got the last of my Christmas packages to  the post office.  Now to prepare the house for Christmas after all the wrapping and Christmas events.  I went to a Christmas party at the VFW at 5 and an ABATE meeting/party at 7.  I turned down a party at Edwards Place historic site the same evening.

It was nice to see Bob Foster who moved to the Danville VA.  Funny that I got a Christmas card from my WW2 vet from Le Roy, IL whom I was an honor flight guardian in 2009 mention a man he met at the Danville VA who knew me.  So far apart and what a nice triangle.

Friday evening I went to the "Committee Ball" at the Hilton.  Here is Nita, whom I formerly worked for, with the 40th anniversary ice sculpture.
 There was a lovely tree in the lobby.
 And a very nice gingerbread house.
 Ok, I didn't eat the apple but I pretended to.
 These girls were out of place.  They looked like the were more accustomed to a bar atmosphere than a formal ball.   They danced like bar sluts with their purse on their side and beer in their hand.  They didn't have a table to leave this stuff.  Now the couple in the foreground were the dance stars.  They did all the fancy moves and dips.


Wednesday evening I helped with the Old State Capitol Holiday walk and on Saturday I helped with our Civil War Santa.  Saturday, a couple popped the question in Representative Hall of the Old State Capitol as a violin played up in the gallery.

After that I stopped by Sheels on the way home and got my picture taken with Santa and Blitzen.  Blitzen is 8 months old.

 You could take your own picture of Santa above and pay a tip, or you could do like I did below and pay $20 for two 5 by 7 prints.  I've been a good little Victorian.
Afterward I stopped by the Chatham VFW Post for an Ugly Christmas Sweater party/pot luck.   Boy did they have some interesting sweaters and many with lights.  Jay says " HI Rose, I understand your a member of 755?" Rose: where you going with this?

Sunday evening I went the Luminary display of the Dana-Thomas House.  It was much too windy for the luminaries however.

Monday it was 64 degrees.  The record was 63.   I tried to get a few things done in the garage like removing the battery from the motorcycle to bring in where it will be nice and warm.  I restocked the fireplace with twigs for the next cold snap.  I dug up some of the carrots that I planted and they were small.  In evening I went to a VFW meeting.  I won the 50/50 drawing and donated it back.

I adopted Sophie on Dec 22, 2014 from the Sangamon County Animal Control Adoptable Pets. I was told she was 2 years old so her adoption day will be her birthday. Happy 3d Sophie Lou Connolly!!!!  This was our adoption photo:
 

No comments:

Blog Archive