Tuesday, November 24, 2015

My Week

We had our first snow of the season!  Further north there was a record snowfall for November.

Tuesday I had my car worked on for the "service engine soon" light. It was a Front Air/fuel ration sensor. Sure sounds like a phony part name to me. $416.  Then I went on a Therapy Dog visit at 2PM.  In the evening I went to do color guard honoring Army Vietnam Veteran, Marshall Brown as recipient of a Habitat for Humanity house #98.  Less had difficulty filling the rest of the color guard positions so Marshall filled in.
Here is the news segment on Habitat.  There's a shot of the back of my head and I studied my new experimental classic hair do (see 14 seconds into the video below).
http://wics.com/news/local/habitat-for-humanity-begins-home-for-vietnam-vet

I adopted a soldier through Soldiers Angels and sent her my first package.  I even found an inflatable Christmas tree new in package at the Goodwill store and put that in the box.

Friday I went back to volunteer at the Old State Capitol in the afternoon.  These hearing aids are not yet ready for big groups.  I could take small groups up to 3 around because we are intimately close enough to share questions.  In the evening I went to our OWLS (Older Wiser Lovable Seniors) pot luck.  I made bacon wrapped water chestnuts in BBQ sauce.  Wish I'd have made a double batch.
Sunday I helped with ABATE and the Thanksgiving dinner for the elderly and homeless.  We had a new location from the Kumler church to the Cathedral of the Immaculate Conception.
Here's the news link:
http://wics.com/news/videos/abate-serves-thanksgiving-feast-to-elderly

Saturday I was scheduled to be part of the color guard for the Chatham Christmas parade but weather called it off because of the weather.  We had our first snow of the season.  Very wet snow I might add.
I walked Sophie under threatening skies. She's going to have trouble...err...I'm going to have trouble when she begs to go for a walk and I insist that she use the back yard like other pets.

Monday I had an appointment with my hearing aids to see how they were going.  I gave her the following report.
  •  
-->
The first thing I noticed with my hearing devices is the sound of the turn signal on my way home. 
Then I realized that I still had difficulty understanding people.  I tried turning the volume up and that just reminded me of the false “hearing enhancers” from Harbor Freight with all the back ground noise.

Sunday after receiving my devices, I got my first notice to replace the battery about noon in the right and 3 hrs later for the left.  Repeated in church the following Sunday.

Last Sunday, Joe Blankenship brought a dog in training to church.  I was told there was a bark in church but I didn’t hear it.  I do remember squalling babies.

I am not sure when I need to change the white tip.
I still dread phone calls because I can’t hear.

I tried to give tours on Friday but I still cannot hear large groups.

The online video shows a switch volume button/memory on the back does nothing. It hasn't been programmed yet.
After my hearing appointment I had an appointment for my eyes at 3:30 and the office was right next door.  I didn't have a real significant change in my prescription but I did notice it.  I didn't think that TRICARE covered eyes but part of the exam was covered.  Well my appointment lasted longer than expected so I knew it was useless to leave Springfield for dance in Metamora by 6PM.  I had my dress in the car but the drive and the change of clothes would have been too late.  I called one of the dancers to let the gang know that I aborted the trip.  I was really looking forward to it.

I've ordered a fresh Amish turkey for our Thanksgiving dinner.  Well, I don't think the turkey practices Amish traditions so it must be an atheist turkey.  Pick up on Tuesday at Humphrey's Market. I've never been there before but I hear a lot of good things.  Remember that Abraham Lincoln declared this holiday.  http://www.presidency.ucsb.edu/ws/?pid=69998


Looking forward to see my entry into the Nativity Festival.

No comments:

Blog Archive