Tuesday, February 18, 2014

My Week

I am hoping that this is the last post I have to complain about the weather.  It's been a horrible week for snow and ice but the future looks #bright.
I sometimes fear that I am not involved enough in my son's life but thanks to facebook I can be there:
Tuesday I had lunch with the Womens Overseas Service League.   Then I went over to work for a couple hours to show Dave how to find missing fees that mismatched.  After that I went to the "Courting Couch Revealed" at Edwards Place.
Click here for the story and interview: 
And of course, I seem to have a tradition posing with couches but I don't dare desecrate an artifact.



Wednesday I celebrated Lincoln's Birthday by attending the American Legion Pilgriamge to the Lincoln Tomb.  Boy was it cold.  My toes got numb.  So I left the tent and stood in the sun.  Then the legionaire from Indianna pushed me in front of the camera who wanted to interview someone a little more local.
http://www.wandtv.com/category/182814/video?autoStart=true&topVideoCatNo=default&clipId=9833805


Wandtv.com, NewsCenter17, StormCenter17, Central Illinois News-


Later I went to the Abraham Lincoln Presidential Museum at 3PM to see a performance by Fritz Klein as Abraham Lincoln.  While we waited for the doors to open, I snapped this picture of a girl wearing Lincoln stocks.

Now I know that Lincoln had a sense of humor but the lady next to me seemed to have a high threshold for humor.
I saw this in the Museum store.


Thursday I saw a motorcycle out because the temperature reached 40.  I still wouldn't have done that with all the slush regardless of how clean you make your own driveway.
In the evening I went to a meeting of our Catholic War Veterans. *2 hours is so long for a meeting*  Afterward I stopped by Walmart for dog food.  I found some with salmon and no grains that I'll try.  It sure smelled good when I opened the bag so we'll see if Marley and Bentley like it.  I can't believe all the people shopping at 10PM.  Well it was Valentine's Eve and many were after last minute gifts.  But still the whiny kids should have been in bed.

Well the snow that they predicted for Valentines Day was expected to begin at midnight had disappointed me because there was nothing *new* on the ground when I got up. That disappointment changed rapidly and it started as soon as I dragged the trash can to the curb. Oh boy, here come the inches now.



Saturday morning I went to the Civil War Ball in Quincy.  I had to make a stop in Jacksonville on the way to pick up a period had that was left at the Greirson Gala the week before.  I got a little lost in town but found the address.  The time and the snow made it impossible to get to the ball in time for a diversion on the path to see the eagles wintering along the river.  I didn't win a door prize but Nancy gave me a book of Civil War art that she said she didn't want (or possibly had already).

Here I am with Nancy, Rich, Gene, Shirley and Larry.  I remember a young ferderal soldier asking me to dance.  He told me it was only the second time for him so I asked him to mirror my steps and he caught on fast.  I asked what unit he was with and he said the 10th so I told him they have a band so he best learn to dance for his unit.  :) Here we were on the news. 
Civil War Ball Episode on WGEM


WGEM.com: Quincy News, Weather, Sports, and Radio  

I did the basic steps for the Schottische for the first time.  One, two, three hop, hop hop hop.  That's the basics but I haven't done the more advanced with the twirling as in the following video.  In fact I'll begin practicing with the Central Illinois Civil War Dancers next week for the first time.  It's a bit of a drive but should be rewarding and make me a better dancer. 



Sunday my son installed the new doggie door panel for my pups.  Thanks so much.  Later I went to a funeral for a dear supporter of the Old State Capitol.  I saw our group there and sat with them.  Afterward we went to Steak and Shake.  There was a storm predicted for Monday so I stopped at Walmart to pick up some logs for the fireplace.  It was a good thing too.  Monday morning I just walked the dogs around the block. It was SOOOOOOO slick outside, I had to fall on the floor just to crack the ice off my coat like a hard boiled egg so I could get it off!
Stayed home and cleaned the floor including moving the fridge.  It was a little warmer in the back room where my son installed the doggie door so I even cleaned the floor there too.
Finished sanding the window sill and stained the following day.  Boy, old sandpaper sure rips apart.
 I also replaced a collar on one of my historic dresses that I've been meaning to do.









No comments:

Blog Archive