Monday, February 10, 2014

My Week

Here I am watching the snow coming down heavily.  It looks pretty against that green mailbox still with the Christmas bow on it.



I used the Rebel snow blower in the drive until the thing needed a rest. It' real difficult to hold a button down, a bar down, and push the thing all at the same time. Soooo...I try real hard to back it up while still running because it's hard to get going again. Most the drive is clear and ready for the snow plows to fill it in again.

The morning had more snow and it wouldn't start.  Piece of crap snow blower. I even brought it in the house to warm up the damn thing and it won't start.  It has a button you press first then the lever. I've tried different outlets and turning the blade in case it has a gear.  I just shoveled the old fashioned (heart attack) way. I could do a better job but I could get out in an emergency.  I got it maybe 3 or 4 years ago at Menards on a Black Friday special. Waited in line a long time for this. It's always been finicky. Blah!
My old Air Force friend, Luz, called me Tuesday night for a long chat.   How nice to catch up since us active duty folks spread to the wind when we leave.  Guard and reserve seem to maintain their local ties much better than we do.

I did accomplish repair on a torn carpet bag and installing hook tape on a black silk blouse used for reenacting.

Thursday morning, well not first thing in the morning like before I retired, I had a cold shower.
I continued to my 10:30 appointment with Paula and she recommended that I contact her plumber.  I left a message.   Meanwhile, I looked at the roof and that seems clear. I put a flame to the top and it is drawn towards the shoot. I called a plumber over 2 hrs ago. Just called again to see if I need to find another plumber. I picked up a candle lighter for better reach rather than the match on the tip of a pliers.  After 2 hours, I was wondering if he got the message and may have been out of town (and away from this cold).  So I called back to find out if I should call someone else.  Curt came over and lit the pilot for me. I will be needing a new one though come spring. I know this water heater was there when I moved in but he didn't think it was original to the house (despite the dated tile under it).   Something else to budget for. Curt said it would require new plumbing to code. Curt was kind enough to run his suburban over the plow drift on the guest side of my driveway.   Does it ever end? 
Oh and I broke my ice scrapper stick.

Oh, and I need new closet doors for the spare bedroom that have never worked.  I think I made it worse.

Now the Dell computer is saying "a problem has been detected and windows was shut down...bad_pool_header...disable BIOS...memory options.
Friday I took part in a VFW honor guard at the Crown Plaza for the opening of the Voice of Democracy.  Everything went well.  We had to wear the white honor guard helmets instead of our VFW service caps.  I bumped into Larry Miller who just the day before pipped in on my facebook chat about my broken down snow blower.

Saturday evening I went to the Jacksonville Grierson Gala.  This was the third year that I attended and attendance has gone down.  I understand that many tickets were sold but that some didn't show up because of the snow.  Well, this is a fund raiser to keep the summer reenactment funded. I got a rose print rug on the silent auction.
Here's the dinner table.
Sunday morning I went to Mass with the Catholic War Veterans.  Afterward we all went to a breakfast fund raiser for Special Olympics Torch Run.
At 2PM I went to a presentation at the Lincoln Home theater. There's a link with clips from the series here:
http://www.nps.gov/liho/historyculture/civil-war-the-untold-story.htm
The introduction to the presentation was by a corporal from the 114th regiment who had been working on his master's degree in history.

At 4:30 we had a meeting of our Soldiers Aid Society.  We discussed our upcoming fashion fair at Edwards Place on March 30th.  I talked a little about the website that I've been working on.
http://soldiersaid.yolasite.com/
I'm currently awaiting acceptance into the Civil War Webring.

I ran across this photo that I had taken when my son and I first looked at the house my son is buying. It says, 'I cleaned my house last week sorry you missed it'.  I guess they were expecting a potential buyer the day before.




No comments:

Blog Archive