Tuesday, February 4, 2014

My Week

Another cold week to start off. I really wanted to visit my sister but we are undergoing a nasty ice storm so I postponed the trip.  I just think this delay was meant to be.  Snow is predicted so I'm afraid I'll have to postpone a weekend visit to my sister in Wisconsin.

Tuesday I picked up my new Baretta Nano at Midwest Rifleworks.  When I ordered it, he said I could buy ammo from him but by the time I picked it up, he was out.  So I went to Sheels and got some for target and for conceal carry.  Too cold to try it at an outside range but need to make sure I have all the bits when the weather is better.

Mmmm. Who'd've thought that porabella's were not just another mushroom.   Cut them up in butter, onions, soy sauce, with pepper and it seems like I had a meal.

My son's home inspection found a few errors even though the house is advertised "as is".  Apparently those managing the estate will fix an electrical problem and bath vent.  Things are proceeding for his move in about March 1st.  Hopefully this will enhance his bachelorhood appeal. 


Thursday evening I went to a (free) presentation by Ken Martis - Regions, Parties and Voting: The Presidential Elections of Abraham Lincoln.  It was pretty interesting.  Funny how the territories voted in "upper Yankee land" and how the race census of the 1860s matched the same counties that carried in 2008.  Interesting how the 4 candidates really split the votes in Lincoln's favor against the odds.  Ken's presentation also had some neat political cartoons of the 1860s that helped the audience understand the dilemma of the time.
http://alplmfoundation.tix.com/Event.aspx?EventCode=620207

Friday I decided to build a website to help organize all of the data for Sons of the Revolution
https://sites.google.com/site/connollypatriot/
By posting the documents in the sidebar, I can see better where I need to work.  I have digitized when possible and paper copies stuffed in file folders is confusing and a mess.  I still have more to do on this and plan to visit it with Karl on the qualifications for this pedigree.  I used my Amazon Gift Card that my sisters gave me to get 'History of Roane County West Virginia'.  Sometimes it's hard to prove stuff like this.  If this doesn't work, there is a library in Profetstown, IL that has the W.V. Heritage Encyclopedia for a day trip.

I gave Bentley a bath and a trim Saturday night. He smells better but still wants to kiss me with his rotted out mouth. He looked at me like he knew I was trying to help. I don't want to invest $ in him with his enlarged heart which is terminal. Poor lil' feller. He's already surpassed the 24 months expectation listed online. 
http://www.petmd.com/dog/conditions/cardiovascular/c_dg_cardiomyopathy_dilated?page=2

Sunday afternoon I went to see “Six Degrees of Kevin Bacon Abraham Lincoln”.  Many of my friends were there.  The presentation was produced by Lincoln Land Community College.
http://www.hcfta.org/hoogland-center-arts/six-degrees-abraham-lincoln

Afterward I went carpooled up to Lincoln with my son for a Superbowl party with Vet Center staff.  We had a great time.  My biggest concern was that Justin's past parties were garage parties and it's cold but that wasn't the case.  I had great eats and fun especially playing with their Weimeranger, named Ruger. 





Monday I built a website for our Springfield Soldiers Aid Society.
https://sites.google.com/site/soldiersaid/
Our parent unit, the 114th Illinois Regiment, had a website but quit paying on it in favor of a facebook page.

Tuesday starts another snow storm so I had to get my soldier to the post office early and stopped by to pay my utility bill.  We had an eAlert not to park on the streets so that the plows can get through.  Argg!  I've slipped and fell walking the dogs and had numerous close calls.

No comments:

Blog Archive