Monday, September 30, 2013

My Week


I got my invitation to the Dixon Camp Confederate Ball on Jan 25th in Belleville.  That was so nice last year.  I may not belong to the Dixon Camp Sons of the Confederacy but I really felt comfortable there.

Wednesday I met with my financial adviser and then ran off to the tail end of a meeting of the Interveterans Council of Sangamon County.  That was a long evening.

Thursday evening I went to Boondocks to see "Here Comes The Mummies".   The ticket said 7PM but there was an opening act and the Mummies didn't come till 9PM.  After the break between the pre-show and the Mummies, I was starting to get tired and closed my eyes so I could enjoy the show once it got started.  This is one of those places where most of the audience stands but I was fortunate to find a chair on the side.  However, once they started playing, folks began to stand in front of my chair and I crouch to see between their sides.

I really do like their animation and talent.  However, I can understand the lyrics better on YouTube than the noise at Boondocks.

Friday after work I rode Wheezer over to the Capitol City Shopping Center to see the parade of cars take off for the Route 66 Mother Road Festival.  I rode Wheezer because he's a Route 66 Special Edition Yamaha 250.  The parade had already begun so I would have had to go to the end if I wanted to ride the route but the flagger seemed to imply I couldn't leave the exit of the parade so I felt...screw it. By then it was getting dark.  I got to see all the cars (some of which I have no idea why they were even Rt 66 special).

Saturday I got up at 5AM so I could leave about 5:30 to ride to the Retiree Appreciation Day at Scott AFB.  Ended up leaving at 5:50 chasing a run away Marley in the dark.  I stopped for gas in Troy and thought I might be late for the event but that 7AM was really just a breakfast social and sign up.  I really had plenty of time.  Well, I didn't win any door prizes.  Just as well because most of them were $50 gift certificates at the commissary and as seldom as I get down there, it would be better to use that the same day.  My saddle bags were all ready full of handouts and freebies from the booths at the event.  I got home about 1:30 and really wanted to nap but had to get ready for an evening event and there was still some minor sewing on this dress. 



So in the evening I reenacted as Alice Edwards (Ferguson) in the Fiery Trials of Abraham Lincoln at Edwards Place.  I felt unworthy of her role for our age difference but can get away with this in stature.  Many of the guest thanked me for my portrayal and thought I did a good job.  The only problem I had was testing out the new dress. I decided to lengthen my dress with the original trim that was on it but only with 2 inches rather than the full length of about 6 inches.  I seemed to trip on the hem a lot. Laura thought the length was right but that it may need a bigger hoop.  I'd like to get that problem fixed by the January Dixon Camp Confederate Ball.

A number of our guests asked me what that horn was on the table.  I didn't know and asked the curator and she didn't know either.  So I shared a close-up of it on Facebook and found a similar on the Metropolitan Museum.   It's an ornate drinking horn.



Sunday I woke up with a headache which seems to occur more on that day of the week probably from the busy day before.  I didn't have any aspirin because I had purged my medicine cabinet of expired meds.  After church I stopped at Walgreens for something and picked up some marked down items too.

I fixed some sausage, potato and cheese casserole and Sean seemed to gobble it up.  I also chopped up apples and made apple sauce.

My sister sent me a few photos of my neice.  Made me feel a bit homesick.



No comments:

Blog Archive