Monday, September 2, 2013

My Week

I got the new bonnet from eBay this week.  It seems really well made and it was a good price.  I may want to tone it down with some matching tan bow to make it more versatile.  It doesn't have the skirt thingy in the back of the neck but seems to fit well without it.


I see that the scary house down the street that was foreclosed has a sold sign.  Lots of luck repairing that house.  It has a blue tarp over the roof indicating leaks.

Tuesday was our last Civil War retreat ceremony at the Lincoln Tomb.  It will begin restoration for the next 6 months.  It was hot so few wore period dress outside of the 114th who had to. I was asked to draw the name for the flag that was lowered over the tomb because I was in period dress and it seemed fitting.  My mouth dropped open when I read the name, Tom Lincoln.  In fact everyone was surprised.  How fitting to close the season with a sentimental name like "Lincoln".

Executive Mansion, please try to be there between 6:30 and 6:45.  The soldiers, at least as of now, will be outside to stand at attention as the guests arrive, and then we will be inside for the rest of our time there.  Around 7:30 we will present colors and those who wish to may leave, the rest are welcome to mingle with the guests.  The group is Case IH dealers from Australia, and I understand that some folks from Russia may be there as well, so I’m sure they will have lots of questions.  This will be our first opportunity to be in the Executive Mansion in many years, certainly since I’ve been in the 114th.  Bring muskets but I suggest that you empty your cartridge boxes and cap pouches as security there may not be as easy-going as at other sites where we are familiar.


Getting ready for the Rocky Horror Picture Show.   Lower left is me as the MC for the show.

Friday evening I tripped and fell over Bentley in the dark.  Got to be careful.

Saturday I went to the Jerseyville Victorian Festival.  I ate a buffalo burger and had home made sugar free strawberry rhubarb pie.  Yum.   Toured the "Hazel Dell" mansion and saw a civil war funeral.


Here's the video that I cut off at the point where the lady next to me answered her cell phone and her conversation was recorded.

I've been thinking of my nephew who is in basic training at Ft Benning.  I'm proud of him as he enters a new phase in his life.  He's entering a culture that will change his life forever.  Veterans stick together more than any other group of workers.

Sunday morning I read the second reading at Mass.  Father's sermon was about the first reading from Sirach 3:17 and it reminds us of the song "Oh Lord It's Hard to be Humble".  I fixed chicken and rice with peas for a side. 

Later I attended the funeral for a 10 year old girl who died of cancer.  It was a lovely service and there were buses to take us to the cemetery but not many took advantage of it like I did.  Those that drove were parked in three deep.

Monday was a holiday.  My goal was to see the top of my kitchen table.  I did cut the crab grass in the back yard and found a lone asparagus spear under the brush.  It's a little out of season so that surprised me.

My son and I trailer-ed his dad's gas grill to his new house.  I know my son's are skeptics about me backing my trailer and I too lack confidence in my ability but I was able to perfectly place in spot when I was done.  Now if I only had the strength to hitch things up by myself, I'd be independent.  I would like to thank Jim Kunke for teaching me to back the trailer a few years back in the church parking lot.  He was soooo patient.

I guess with the longer weekend, I haven't turned on my alarm clock.  However, Marley jumps into my bed at 6:15 to check on me and that is so thoughtful because she is not real affectionate.  Marley is attentive however.

I'm watching Hell On Wheels.
http://www.amctv.com/shows/hell-on-wheels


No comments:

Blog Archive