Monday, May 27, 2013

My Week

Wednesday morning I put out my recycle bin.  When I left for work, I brought it back and noticed a plastic bag on the lawn.  It was one of the dog walking poo bags that accidentally got in in my recycle bin that the collector had tossed on my lawn.  I feel bad about that and didn't mean to insult the collector.   On my way to work, I was following a blue Elantra that was switching lanes without signaling.  At a stop light, she moved behind a bus which made a right turn onto Walnut St and had to break suddenly at an angle. Seeing that the lane wasn’t clear she then went through the light.  At the next stop light, she changed lanes again, this time in front of me.  I couldn’t help but notice her bumper sticker that said, “don’t tailgate-spinal injury”.  Geez I wonder how she got a spinal injury.

Tuesday evening, I took my bike for a tire repair.  I stopped by Joanne fabrics for a few things and then I went to a meeting at 7pm with the Soldiers Aid Society.  We discussed some after action issues such as the fundraiser for the 2015 funeral coalition at Edwards Place.  It seems that with all the hoopla and carriages, reenactors made up half the crowd and the others were highly involved in other ways.  I don’t see how they could call this a fund raiser.  Laura snickered at the lady who got on the carriage and exposed her Nike shoes and lack of underpinnings.
After the SAS meeting, I went over to the airport for the Honor Flight homecoming.  The area teen queens were there with their crowns greeting people.  I had to show our Chatham queen that I was wearing a Legion Riders vest from the Chatham post.  That got a thumbs up.

Here's the video of the homecoming 
  
After work on Wednesday, I came home and fed the dogs and mowed the lawn.  I never know if my mower will start and complete the job.  Then I left at 6:30 to make a meeting at the Navy club for the Inverveterans Council of Sangamon County.


After getting into the Abraham Lincoln Presidential Museum on Mike's membership pass to see the Central IL Civil War Dancers a few weeks ago, I decided to get one of my own.  That will especially come in handy when my sister comes to town.

Thursday I had a salesman  from Sears give me an estimate on my front door in the amount of $3900. 
Saturday morning was decorate the graves time at Camp Butler.  There were many scouts there.  It was a good time because after that it started raining all day.  I placed a memorial at Frank's grave that has a butterfly and a lighted candle that flickers.  I know it won't stay as they police national cemeteries well.

Joe, who works at Camp Butler asked about riding.  I may want to ride to the ceremony on Monday afternoon because of the parking congestion.  But then I could wear my widows weeds since there is also a volly of firing for the Civil War Soldiers buried there. We'll see.

I had gotten an email from SEARS that my rechargeable mower repair would cost $277.  I think I'll get a new one.  I got the rechargeable mower in 2008 because I cannot pull the cords on most mowers.  I will be looking for a gas mower with an electric start.  Then I got my riding mower picked up for maintenance Saturday afternoon too.  So while I was waiting I vacuumed out my car.  I was looking for the oil filter for the motorcycle while moving things around in the garage.  Didn't find it but I had forgotten a long lost gas weed whacker that my husband had bought.  Haven't been able to move around much in the garage since it had been used as storage for my son so now's the time to look around.

Sunday's hour-by-hour weather report said zero precipitation.  It lied.  Poor Marley and the thunder.  It finally cleared up late in the afternoon.  Along with that I had a big, 2 tylenol headache.  That finally cleared up.  I realized why a black cat was staring through my fence in the back as I was walking my dogs.  There's a young rabbit that took up residence under my shed.  He is nibbling on my new vegetable garden.   This hasn't happened in the past because I have Marley ~ the hunting dog.  She thinks squirrels and rabbits are delicious.  I guess with all the rain and thunder, she's  been hiding more than hunting.
With the headache gone, I needed some exercise ...rode my bike the short route or better known as the long route for dog walking.
Monday morning I got up and showered, put out five large flags on PVC out on my lawn and walked the dogs.  There were back to back PBS documentaries on that had interested me at 7AM and 8AM so I had to get those chores done before watching TV.  Then at 10AM I went to the Chatham Square for our Memorial Day event.  Since the ground was soggy from rain the day before, we had the ceremony indoors.  I had put the flags on my trailer hitch.  I said hello to the teen princesses who recognized me from the Honor Flight last Tuesday.  I was a rifle bearer in the color guard.  Mayor's son, Lt Gray, was a guest speaker.  Afterward I had a sloppy joe at the VFW.  I then came home to put on my widow's weeds for the ceremony and Civil War volley to the veterans at Camp Butler.


got caught in traffic leaving the Camp Butler Memorial Day Ceremony. While in bupmer-to-bumper traffic, I hear there was a tornado warning to cover. I pulled up to the office building and went in the basement. All those lovely flag poles bent over.  The wonderful flag poles that were once an Eagle Scout project were ALL bent in the wind.  One fell right in front of my car which I drove around on my way to shelter.  Hundreds gather at Camp Butler to honor fallen soldiers 



There was a train was stuck on Woodside road on the way to the DAV for the retreat ceremony at 5PM. It was still there on the way back at 6:30. Must have had a tree down.  What a busy day.  I look forward to the normalcy of a day at work. 



No comments:

Blog Archive