Monday, May 20, 2013

My Week

I nominated Linda Crites for  Illinois Veteran of the Month for March (womens history month).  When another got the award I felt my recommendation letter and solicitation of it's contents had let her down and got her hopes high.  I felt humbled for her to be at my cermony.  Well now I learned that she will receive the title of Veteran of the Month for July and be presented the honor in August at the State Fair

Here's a blog from the past
http://ivetret.blogspot.com/2011/03/veteran-of-month-march-2011.html

It sure is nice on Tuesday.  I had lunch with the Womens Overseas Service League.  I learned that gas went up so I knew that the gas in my neighborhood went up latter so I had to get home and fill up.  I figure that when traffic dies down and dogs taken care of that I could pull the motorcycle out of the garage and ride to the VFW for chicken.  I asked the neighbor to help me check the oil and it was ok.  I just needed to tip it off the kickstand.  It sure felt good to ride since I don't ride to work and that leave little time left.  Riding after work makes it feel like a mini-weekend.  Especially since some rain is in the forecast.  I went later than usual and tail end of the dinner period but I got in under the wire and it wasn't too crowded.  I learned that someone had dubbed me as a "fart in a skillet".  Normally that would be bad but if a veteran says it, it could be good...I guess.    It was real nice to be on a motorcycle and wave at the kiddies in cars.  See, that's what you can't do all caged up in your car.

I also got a call from Judy who is a gold star mom and she'll be getting her grandson for a while from his mother out of state.  I'm so glad she gets to see her son's son who died serving.  She has my utmost respect for a difficult situation and not the best in life.  I value her friendship.

I sent my brother a birthday card for his 50th birthday along with a card for Applebees.  Applebees is one of my favorites so I hope he likes it too.
There were abt 4 dead black and yellow bees on the back porch.

Wednesday I stopped by Tuesday Morning after work and then picked up the rain barrel that was on back order.  Even though I wasn't called, I'm glad I checked in because they only had 2 and no calls were made.  I explained that I was on the list and that was good enough for her to sell me one. Then  I spoke to Judy on the phone.  She is a Gold Star mother and is real excited about having her grandson for a year while his mother is in training.  However, she's concerned about the temporary custody papers, school, medical, etc.
I then went to line dance lessons at the VFW.  We learned the cupid shuffle, cat strut, & polka mixer.

Thursday evening I went to the ABATE meeting.  Small turnout probably due to bike night at Quaker Steak and Lube plus good riding weather.  I brought my laptop and updated the ABATE face book page while there.

So slugs like to eat dog food nuggets in the yard.  I HAVE SALT!

Time to take the electric blanket off my bed.  Packed it away.  Now I really need to change my shower from morning to night time.

Saturday I rode the bike over to the American Legion Post to participate in the honor guard for the opening of the Highland Games.  Four of us got together for the two rifles, American Flag and the American Legion Flag.  We were missing one person so we had to eliminate the POW flag.  I later saw that he went for a ride on his motorcycle and forgot about the honor guard.  I then went to the Illinois State Military Museum for the Armed Forces Day.  There was a new WW2 exhibit and a wildly colored Confederate shirt.  I got to chat with all the reenactors and many know me through the Civil War reenacting as well.  Yeah, they do all sorts of wars.  I recall the bazooka like gun and the strange 3" bullets.  I asked about them since the blank was blue and white and reminded me of a roll on deodorant bottle.  Then I came home to eat.  I made Brussels sprouts and guacamole.   After that I went back to see the closing ceremony of the Highland Games.  There were Highland cattle just like my sister has.  I fell in love with the English cocker spaniels and the Irish Wolfhounds.  The short time in the sun gave me my first sunburn of the year.
http://www.central-illinois-standrewsociety.com/2013-highland-games.html

My purple sage is flowering so I cut some and put it in a vase to smell nice in the house.

Sunday morning we had our Catholic War Veterans Mass at St Aloysius. Afterwards a few of us had breakfast at Parkway Cafe.  There we met the parents of Sean Sloe who died in a motorcycle accident a few weeks ago.  I gave them my condolences and told them I was a rider too.  I knew that a first responder would do the best in the situation and the accident was beyond his control.  I told them to think of Sean as their own Dale Earnhart.
 I fixed some Italian meat balls made with ground lamb.

The cucumber seeds that my sons and I planted on mother's day are starting to peek thru the mound.  The neighbor planted cucumbers from starts bought at the store so the race is on.  I planted some red Wave Pansies. 

Now that I have my patio furniture and enjoy a nice evening, the mosquitoes have found out where I am too.

My sister from AZ would like to stop off on the way to MI for her son's wedding the end of June.  She said she'd call this Saturday but didn't

July 6th I should be part of the opening ceremony for the New Berlin, IL veterans memorial.

Monday Morning's dog walk was cut short by Marley's fear when there was a clap of thunder.



No comments:

Blog Archive