Monday, May 13, 2013

My Week

Monday I came home from work and decided to get the grass mowed before the American Legion meeting at 7PM.  Got most of it done and then the riding mower quit on the front by the drive near my sign that says "Start Seeing Motorcycles".  I couldn't get it started although it sounded close.  So after the meeting, I came home and got the rider started just enough to get it in the garage...smoke and all.  Les Morgan from the post stopped by to help push just in case I had to leave it out over night.  Not something I'd like to do so soon after my son's apartment got robbed.  Fortunately for me it's safe but he said he had a referral who was also a member of the post that could look at it for me.  I'd probably have to have it trailer-ed over and I would still need help loading it on my trailer knowing I'm only semi skilled in backing it.

Tuesday I returned the VFW flag that I had mended the fringe on and then got my chicken dinner.  I had hoped to use the electric mower on the grass but it can only hold a charge for one strip of grass.  :(

Wednesday night I made a quick stop at the house to check on the dogs before heading to Pawnee for our Amvets meeting.  Sean was elected post commander and that's a biggie but he's got lots of support.  I would like to thank my neighbor for finishing my lawn where my riding mower broke down. I came back from the AmVets meeting and noticed. He helped me load the electric push in my SUV for repairs too. Meanwhile, I left a note in the box for someone who was recommended to help fix the rider. Veteran owned and a member of the AL post!! Hope he can help me...widow in distress!  With the evening getting dark but comfortable, I decided to use my laptop on the back porch and catch up on things like my blog.

I finally did some shopping knowing that my sons would be over for Mothers Day.  I got some groceries and on special request, a roast.  I also picked up a 4 piece  patio set for $199.  I did fall in love with a set at Kmart that was on sale for $499 but I'll take this one for so much less.  It looks like this: 


I had dropped off my Confederate Braid dress at a seamstress the first week of April for work on the waist and collar.  It was to cost $80 in sewing.  Tonight I called to learn that Ann declined to be able to do this.  I was hoping to do some hand stitching on the trim during our sewing day with the Soldiers Aid Society which was not part of the  bargain.   Devastated, I feel that if I can't have it, nobody can.  Anyone want to watch a dress burning?  I mentioned what had happened and Cat said she'd take a look at it.  I showed her photos of the dress that were on my laptop.  She thought it was unusual.   Well on Saturday I had cooled down a little.  I picked the dress up on the way home. 

Saturday I spent the time at the Old State Capitol in my new dark brown dress.

 
I got a lot of compliments and it was comfortable too.  I gave three tours and the groups were a pleasure.  Mike let me into the Abraham Lincoln Presidential Museum to watch the Central Illinois Civil War dancers at 11AM.  At the end of the performance there were two participation dances. Open waltz and Patty-Cake Polka.  I had to be careful because the length of a day dress is different than a ball gown.  There's a potential for tripping on a skirt if I'm not careful.

My mother's day was lovely.  I did the first reading at Mass but the reading for the Ascension  just didn't seem like the one that I had practiced.  So I read what was on the the podium.  If they noticed, at least nobody keeled over and we survived.

The boys gave me a nice card, a big bar of chocolate and a huge wicked sandalwood candle in what looks like a glass 9" cake pan.

I took a short, "Biker Mom" ride down to the covered bridge with neighbor, Jerry, who just got his '81 Honda repaired and wanted a quick jaunt too. Felt good but still had a lot of outdoor chores do do so a short ride was nice.  My sons helped with my garden.  We planted tomatoes, varieties of peppers, collards, and cucumbers.  The patio set I bought at ALDI they assembled. We planted tomatoes, varieties of peppers,  and cucumbers.  Not sure if they will make it because they were older seeds.  Sean cut down some wild shrubs growing in the fence.  Hope that the roots die too.   I put my canna bulbs in the ground that I had stored in the crawl space over winter.  I added a few more asparagus plant crowns to my collection so I'll produce more than 2 stalks at a time.  Apparently I had planted some more in the past that never grew in that spot.  All that fresh air made me go to bed early.  I tried to catch up on my blog and email but then the internet went out.  I tried to reset it numerous times to no avail.  Then when I tried to clip to the wifi of an open neighbor's cable it failed.  That told me it was down period.  I was tired anyway.

When I got up, the weather man said possible (and unpredicted) frost.  I think I'll be OK, because it's only 40 degrees.



 

No comments:

Blog Archive